Sunday Mirror Journo Killed In Afghanistan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
BBC News - Afghan blast kills Sunday Mirror correspondent

All very sad, but let's see how much column space is devoted to a highly paid, highly insured journalist shall we?

"A US Marine and an Afghan soldier were also killed in the blast, and four US Marines were seriously injured. " - is the sum total of the reporting of the other deaths in the incident. The Mirror website is not even carrying the story yet...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
BBC News - Afghan blast kills Sunday Mirror correspondent

All very sad, but let's see how much column space is devoted to a highly paid, highly insured journalist shall we?

"A US Marine and an Afghan soldier were also killed in the blast, and four US Marines were seriously injured. " - is the sum total of the reporting of the other deaths in the incident. The Mirror website is not even carrying the story yet...

christ, nsc is full nowadays of snidey, cynical posts :annoyed: feck offfff!!!! what do you do for a living that's so special then?

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
christ, nsc is full nowadays of snidey, cynical posts :annoyed: feck offfff!!!! what do you do for a living that's so special then?

Used to do the same, but less well paid, less insured, and with a responsibility for stopping these cvnts from getting killed.

So blow me dickwad. Yep I'm cynical, but not having a 9 to 5 job for 20 odd years kind of made me like that.

Done anything more exciting than decided what to watch on TV lately? fuckwit.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
:p

why is an embedded journalist a cvnt btw?

Because the vast majority think that they can put on a set of combats and then stride in a firezone with impunity. Some of them are great (see comments on Kemp), but some are out and out wankers with a open eye on a story that will propel them to superstardom, ignoring the damage that it might cause - and they don't really care because they are out of the zone in a couple of weeks. They frequently ignore advice (Simpson), destroy relationships with locals that have been worked on for ages, and do it to satisfy a) their bosses and b) their ego, but not necessarily in that order. They do not care about a larger picture on the ground, they just want their own little part of the glory. Many are dis-embedded at short notice because they simply cannot do as they are told - ie keep themselves and the people around them safe. Considering they are non-combatants, it's amazing how many of them want stirring photos with weaponry and armaments taken so that they can show their mates in the office at home.

That's why.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Highly paid AND highly insured eh? He'll hardly miss his life at all then. Sake :rolleyes:

Didn't say that - I just said watch for the imbalance on the reporting that comes when they have to eulogise one of their own. He'll miss his life, as will his wife and kids, but so will the hundreds and thousands of others, military and civilian of all nations, who do not merit a statement by the Prime Minister, Defence Secretary and associated hangers on who feel that unless they produce these press releases the journos will give them a rough ride. Nothing against the guy himself, but he put himself there when he knew there were risks. Many on here believe that if you join the Army you expect to get shot, there is no difference in this situation.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Because the vast majority think that they can put on a set of combats and then stride in a firezone with impunity. Some of them are great (see comments on Kemp), but some are out and out wankers with a open eye on a story that will propel them to superstardom, ignoring the damage that it might cause - and they don't really care because they are out of the zone in a couple of weeks. They frequently ignore advice (Simpson), destroy relationships with locals that have been worked on for ages, and do it to satisfy a) their bosses and b) their ego, but not necessarily in that order. They do not care about a larger picture on the ground, they just want their own little part of the glory. Many are dis-embedded at short notice because they simply cannot do as they are told - ie keep themselves and the people around them safe. Considering they are non-combatants, it's amazing how many of them want stirring photos with weaponry and armaments taken so that they can show their mates in the office at home.

That's why.

But without them telling the public how under equipped you are or how lacking in funding you are then we'd never know and expect you to get on with it?

2 sides to every story...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
But without them telling the public how under equipped you are or how lacking in funding you are then we'd never know and expect you to get on with it?

2 sides to every story...

I know, I just would like to see the level of reporting balanced, without having MPs trotting out eulogies to these people because they are scared that if they don't the newspapers will come down hard on them. The Mirror is not a bad paper, but I would like to see as much coverage given to the US Marines and the Iraqi Army soldier who also died in the explosion.

And yes, I don't like journos, but I think that has been fairly well documented on here before!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I know, I just would like to see the level of reporting balanced, without having MPs trotting out eulogies to these people because they are scared that if they don't the newspapers will come down hard on them. The Mirror is not a bad paper, but I would like to see as much coverage given to the US Marines and the Iraqi Army soldier who also died in the explosion.

And yes, I don't like journos, but I think that has been fairly well documented on here before!

If you don't like journos well fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. But to call someone you don't know and who's just been killed a cvnt - as you've done here is unforgiveable.

I worked with Rupert Hamer a few years ago and he was one of the nicest, funniest and most unassuming people I've ever come across in the media. Very far from your stereotype of the gung-ho war reporter.

Why not think before you post shit like this?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
If you don't like journos well fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. But to call someone you don't know and who's just been killed a cvnt - as you've done here is unforgiveable.

I worked with Rupert Hamer a few years ago and he was one of the nicest, funniest and most unassuming people I've ever come across in the media. Very far from your stereotype of the gung-ho war reporter.

Why not think before you post shit like this?

I said that most embeddeds were cvnts, not this guy in particular. My beef is not with him, didn't know him, but with the way that the media wankers will drag this out for days - and yet we still haven't been given any information about the US Marine or the Afghan Army guy that died in the same incident. Every time a journo gets it, the assembled hacks back here wring their hands - he was there because he was paid to be there, insured for his time there, and made a positive choice to be there. Even that price twat Neutron-Dung of the Sun has got his voice heard - and there is man that many in the forces would happily hand over to the Taliban for the price of a small goat.

I thought before I posted. I thought twice actually, knowing the reaction that was likely to be brought up from the 9 to 5 jockeys on here - who, let's not forget, frequently have binfests about suicidal people who delay their trains getting home!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I said that most embeddeds were cvnts, not this guy in particular. My beef is not with him, didn't know him, but with the way that the media wankers will drag this out for days - and yet we still haven't been given any information about the US Marine or the Afghan Army guy that died in the same incident. Every time a journo gets it, the assembled hacks back here wring their hands - he was there because he was paid to be there, insured for his time there, and made a positive choice to be there. Even that price twat Neutron-Dung of the Sun has got his voice heard - and there is man that many in the forces would happily hand over to the Taliban for the price of a small goat.

I thought before I posted. I thought twice actually, knowing the reaction that was likely to be brought up from the 9 to 5 jockeys on here - who, let's not forget, frequently have binfests about suicidal people who delay their trains getting home!

No, what you said was you used to have responsibility for stopping "these cvnts" getting killed - referring to embedded war reporters generally which clearly included Rupert H.

I also don't get what your point is about him being paid to be there and having chosen to go there. That's also true of soldiers in the sense that they're paid and they know when the join the army they may end up in places like Afghanistan.

A soldier is one job and a journalist is another - neither is better than the other but some people make stupid, lazy and self-righteous assumptions that soldiers are heroes and journalists are scum or, as you put it "media wankers".

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
No, what you said was you used to have responsibility for stopping "these cvnts" getting killed - referring to embedded war reporters generally which clearly included Rupert H.

I also don't get what your point is about him being paid to be there and having chosen to go there. That's also true of soldiers in the sense that they're paid and they know when the join the army they may end up in places like Afghanistan.

A soldier is one job and a journalist is another - neither is better than the other but some people make stupid, lazy and self-righteous assumptions that soldiers are heroes and journalists are scum or, as you put it "media wankers".

I mentioned the part about him making an active, not a passive, choice to be there because some on here make the same assumption about soldiers - yet to the media he is more than a hero, he is a major news story. To be fair, there are some media sources who need to take a good hard look in the mirror (no pun intended) because they don't see this as a life lost, they see it in column inches.

I had too many dealings with idiot journos to change my opinion. I found embedded war reporters generally to be dangerous, egotistical fools. I daresay there are some who are not, but with the likes of John Simpson, Lara Logan, plus that twat from CBBC that I mentioned in a different thread, and others, journos are not the first people I would be putting in a lifeboat from a sinking ship.

Again, my problem is not with this guy but with the media organs which will take this story and wring it out - still with no mention of the other people who died in the incident. Have you also noticed how the story of the have-a-go hero Sikh has disappeared from view yet this one keeps running? I know the media is in the business of selling itself to a target audience, but it would be nice to think that once in a while they would develop the concept of paying fair praise to all people.

You, knowing the guy concerned, possibly have a vested interest in defending the lot of journeyed hack, and we are clearly not going to find common ground on this one. I mourn the life of anyone lost - and that goes true pretty much on both sides of the line in the sand, but I object when the balance is deliberately skewed for what appears to be circulation figures. Gordon Brown coming out with a hackneyed "we all feel the loss" statement is made the more annoying because he clearly has not "felt the loss" of the other people involved in the incident - perhaps because they do not have much say in how he is presented to the nation?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I mentioned the part about him making an active, not a passive, choice to be there because some on here make the same assumption about soldiers - yet to the media he is more than a hero, he is a major news story. To be fair, there are some media sources who need to take a good hard look in the mirror (no pun intended) because they don't see this as a life lost, they see it in column inches.

I had too many dealings with idiot journos to change my opinion. I found embedded war reporters generally to be dangerous, egotistical fools. I daresay there are some who are not, but with the likes of John Simpson, Lara Logan, plus that twat from CBBC that I mentioned in a different thread, and others, journos are not the first people I would be putting in a lifeboat from a sinking ship.

Again, my problem is not with this guy but with the media organs which will take this story and wring it out - still with no mention of the other people who died in the incident. Have you also noticed how the story of the have-a-go hero Sikh has disappeared from view yet this one keeps running? I know the media is in the business of selling itself to a target audience, but it would be nice to think that once in a while they would develop the concept of paying fair praise to all people.

You, knowing the guy concerned, possibly have a vested interest in defending the lot of journeyed hack, and we are clearly not going to find common ground on this one. I mourn the life of anyone lost - and that goes true pretty much on both sides of the line in the sand, but I object when the balance is deliberately skewed for what appears to be circulation figures. Gordon Brown coming out with a hackneyed "we all feel the loss" statement is made the more annoying because he clearly has not "felt the loss" of the other people involved in the incident - perhaps because they do not have much say in how he is presented to the nation?

The Sikh guy was the subject of a long feature on the Today programme this morning so I don't agree that's a story that's disappeared from view.

I don't have a problem with you not liking journalists - it that's how you feel then fine. But describing them as you did in the hours after someone was killed was crass and unnecessary in my opinion. I've met a fair few soldiers who were ignorant racist thugs but I realise that doesn't describe everyone in the armed forces and I don't tend to bring it up in conversation, especially just after a soldier has been killed in Afghanistan.

Anyway I've probably said more than enough on this sad subject.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Simple news values I am afraid. The US Marines and the Iraqi Army soldier killed in the same explosion are not British and so probably not going to feature high up in a British newspaper story.

I imagine in the US the marines are the main bit, with the British journalist more of an after-thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports