Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sunak's benefits shake up

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
So it is a laughable bit of vote-bait for the hard of thinking, who imagine their taxes will be reduced by taking money away from scroungers

He's shoring up the blue rinse vote by promising to clamp down on scroungers
You are so condescending to those who happen to think differently to you.

It’s often the case with the very left wing of the party … they are tolerant of everyone except those that don’t agree with them!! 😊

£8 billion a year on benefit fraud and 62% of people think benefit fraud is a problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It’s often the case with the very left wing of the party … they are tolerant of everyone except those that don’t agree with them!! 😊

£8 billion a year on benefit fraud and 62% of people think benefit fraud is a problem.
I was rude to the troll. And I am on the right wing of the labour party, in case your 'taking offense on behalf of others' has affected your memory :wink:

I note your you lazy conflation between benefit claimants and benefit fraud <sigh>. Which are you, dishonest or foolish?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yer but they can't expect the tax payers to prop them up ! Fair enough if they don't want to work but they can't expect to have the insta flash lifestyle if they don't work. But I do feel sorry for the youth , back in the day if you rolled up your sleeves you could work your way up and make pretty good money, that's not really the case anymore. the average pay is terrible in the UK as well, we are well behind the US.
OK troll. This is not about people not wanting to work. It is about people signed off sick by a GP, and Sunk's attempt to overrule the GP. Got it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I see you have a thumbs-up pal. Dwayne

The troll and his moll.:lolol:

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
The uncomfortable truth is that there are many who do 'milk the system' claiming benefits when there is nothing wrong with them, especially amongst the young when it comes to 'mental health issues.' I see it all the time at my work, youngsters signed off with 'anxiety and depression' but posting on FB from the pub etc. Yes I get they aren't claiming benefits but it is an illustration of how easy it is to play the system. I can imagine it's the same who aren't employed who claim 'mental health issues' in order not to work and claim benefits. As Rishi said we need to stop 'over medicalising' things, absolutely right we do, it's too easy to claim 'anxiety and depression' and claim benefits. If his crackdown exposes some of the workshy and gets them back to work then brilliant. Before I get the inevitable ton of abuse and HWT essays in response and allegations of 'trolling' I do actually acknowledge there are MANY GENUINE claimants who fully deserve state support.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I was alerted to the presentation by a prior bit of chat on Nicky Campbell's programme when someone used the odious term 'mental health culture', you know, how people with mental health conditions are part of a movement that is abusing the welfare system.....

There is no "movement" to abuse the welfare system — you added that to whip up your own indignation. But there are certainly plenty of people who play the mental health card to get time off work. I’ve done it myself, and I personally know several people who’ve done it — especially in the public sector and (perhaps surprisingly) in big corporates where these days, HR departments are scared of damaging their reputation by seeming to be unsympathetic. I’d be astonished if you knew no one who’d ever been in that position. Yes, I was genuinely unhappy by having a shit boss and a dead-end job, but nothing that required several weeks off through 'acute stress' which my GP was helpful enough to label it.

The trouble with my reprehensible behaviour is that it conceals the genuine pain and anxiety of those who really do need emotional support and financial assistance — and there are plenty, no doubt. You have to work out how to filter out people like me to maximise resources for those truly suffering. Not only do people with my shoddy morals draw cash and expertise away from those who need it but tragically, we help to create that perception that "everyone's at it" which is very unfair on those who are really struggling.

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This message board is so left wing !

I'm not a Tory boy , I would probably vote labour at the next GE.

But I saw a stat the other day that showed a record 54.2% of people (36 million) now live in households which received more in benefits than they contributed in taxes, which is a little disturbing. Would be good to see the stats without pensioners.

It does feel like this country and especially the youth (yes I know they have it hard) are pretty work shy these days. Hard to recruit in retail for instance since Brexit.
I would be staggered if that is not due to pensions. As you say it needs to be seen without it.

As it happens we don’t take much time off sick.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 22

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How about, prove me wrong if you disagree with me, rather than needless abuse.
You already did that for yourself, time after time, when pissing about and trolling on NSC.

Spare me your pop-faced indignity. Haven't you got important and lucrative work to do? ???

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The uncomfortable truth is that there are many who do 'milk the system' claiming benefits when there is nothing wrong with them, especially amongst the young when it comes to 'mental health issues.' I see it all the time at my work, youngsters signed off with 'anxiety and depression' but posting on FB from the pub etc. Yes I get they aren't claiming benefits but it is an illustration of how easy it is to play the system. I can imagine it's the same who aren't employed who claim 'mental health issues' in order not to work and claim benefits. As Rishi said we need to stop 'over medicalising' things, absolutely right we do, it's too easy to claim 'anxiety and depression' and claim benefits. If his crackdown exposes some of the workshy and gets them back to work then brilliant. Before I get the inevitable ton of abuse and HWT essays in response and allegations of 'trolling' I do actually acknowledge there are MANY GENUINE claimants who fully deserve state support.
I would bet a lot of money that tax avoidance costs the state much much more. Hopefully the chart I just posted showing that a few anecdotes about young people being workshy are just that.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I would be staggered if that is not due to pensions. As you say it needs to be seen without it.

As it happens we don’t take much time off sick.
40% without. See my other post further up. That doesn't sound great does it?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
What Sunk is doing here is saying that the GP is wrong and some other body needs to make the clinical decision about someone's fitness to work.
In a country where it is apparently legitimate for politicians to decide that a country is safe, despite what a high court might say if they were allowed to consider evidence, this seems perfectly reasonable.
Where's the story Harry? ???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How would anyone married into a family worth billions understand anything about the benefits system.
THIS ^^^^. I'm currently trying to claim JSA having being made redundant recently. I keep trying to book appointment at my 'local' Job Centre. I keep being told by the central DWP line that someone from the 'local' Job Centre will phone me back within three working hours. I'm currently on my FOURTH attempt. They have until midday today. Will the fvckers phone me ? Of course not. Then I need to sit in a phone queue for over an hour to the central line only to be told they've now "escalated" it. There really is a reason why DWP stands for Dicks, W@nkers and Pr1cks. Sunak has about as much knowledge of sorting benefits as I have of putting an elephant on the moon !

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I was rude to the troll. And I am on the right wing of the labour party, in case your 'taking offense on behalf of others' has affected your memory :wink:

I note your you lazy conflation between benefit claimants and benefit fraud <sigh>. Which are you, dishonest or foolish?
I’m neither lazy or foolish - I simply disagree with you

You’ve rather made my point there

You come across as arrogant

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
OK troll. This is not about people not wanting to work. It is about people signed off sick by a GP, and Sunk's attempt to overrule the GP. Got it?

Please stop calling people trolls just because they have a different world view. You constantly post inflammatory opinions which seem to have no purpose but to antagonise some people. And when they respond? They’re trolls, of course.

Physician, heal thyself!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's a shame because I was thinking of finding myself some life altering trauma in the hope I could get some major life-long mental health issues and then sit around playing playstation and going on holiday.
Have to think of another way to make my millions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is no "movement" to abuse the welfare system — you added that to whip up your own indignation. But there are certainly plenty of people who play the mental health card to get time off work. I’ve done it myself, and I personally know several people who’ve done it — especially in the public sector and (perhaps surprisingly) in big corporates where these days, HR departments are scared of damaging their reputation. I’d be astonished if you knew no one who’d ever been in that position. Yes, I was genuinely unhappy by having a shit boss and a dead-end job, but nothing that required several weeks off through 'acute stress' which my GP was helpful enough to label it.

The trouble with my reprehensible behaviour is that it conceals the genuine pain and anxiety of those who really do need emotional support and financial assistance — and there are plenty, no doubt. You have to work out how to filter out people like me to maximise resources for those truly suffering. Not only do people with my shoddy morals draw cash and expertise away from those who need it but tragically, we help to create that perception that "everyone's at it" which is very unfair on those who are really struggling.
Yes, fine.

So you agree with Sunk that someone in a new quango should have overridden the GP who signed you off sick?

Yes, people with genuine problems need support. But who decides if they have genuine problems? Sunk is proposing it not be a medic, but some new, as yet undefined body of assessors. Like loss adjusters.

And the reason for all this is exactly what I alluded to - a made-up 'movement' playing 'the mental health card' as you put it.

Playing the mental health card may well be what you did, but the term is pejorative and used by gammon to label anyone with a genuine mental health issue.

I rather shyly admitted to my sister in law about my issues a couple of years ago (I have mentioned then before and won't bore you with the details, sufficed to say I have never been a scrounger and sponged off the tax payer) and she accused me of playing the mental health card. Nice.

No, not nice. f***ing offensive.

And you didn't play the mental health card. You lied and defrauded the system :shrug: And now you think Sunk should make up some madcap scheme to stop people like you doing the same thing again? Crikey.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is the thing where they're taking the decision on people's wellbeing out of the hands of medical professionals and putting it into the hands of some Government contractor to make the decision, isn't it? Or is that a different story kicking around today?
You mean like ATOS for PIP or Capita in general. Yep, that worked well, not !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please stop calling people trolls just because they have a different world view. You constantly post inflammatory opinions which seem to have no purpose but to antagonise some people. And when they respond? They’re trolls, of course.

Physician, heal thyself!
He has admitted to being 'wind up merchant' (i.e., troll) :shrug:

Nothing I posted was intended to antagonize anyone (other than the Sunk fan, perhaps, I'm sure they exist).

And I'm not a physician.

You need to up your game today :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here