Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

summer fruits!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Only trees I have are apples and plums and both have a fantastic crop.

The apples (10 postal sack) all went to Whiteheads Cider Company and the plums are going to a local jam maker with the balance going into home made vodka.

Shloes are looking great too.

What varieties of apple do you have?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Loads of blackcurrants, jostaberry (jam from those two). Blackberries, lots of. The apple tree is heaving.
Marvellous.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My nan always used to call gooseberries "goosegogs". I found out recently that "Gogs" is the word for berries in an old Sussex dialect. Does anyone else say "Gogs" instead of "Berries"?

We used to call them goosegogs in Worthing, but I think my mother had brought it from elsewhere.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not great...
no plums - possibly because older tree knackered after last year, and newer tree too young (branch boke under weight before fruit was ripe)
apples fell off in June/July drop
quinces - not as many
raspberries - no
gooseberries - what? where?

Most other veg wouldn't germinate, I think because too cold or too dry (or crap seed from B&Q).

Always next year - got a new cherry tree to play with.:bounce:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pears very good laden as are apples.
blackberrys mental
sloes loads on the downs and the old railway from Lewes to Uckfield ...fill yer boots.
Goosegogs i had one ffs
Crab apples are late but could be a good year
Strawberries fair
Runner beens average
now waiting to see whether the mushrooms will be good the edible ones for breckie or the fun fungi for the evening which has been poor the last two years!!!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
One bottle - washed.
One pear (or two - sliced)
One vodka (lots)
Sugar

Put pears and sugar into the said bottle.

If bottle overflows, drain vodka down the throat.

Leave to ferment for a month or three and serve with a slice of home made banoffe pie

Me too come on South stand bonfire .........

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
One medium packet of digestives crushed until like "breadcrumbs) N.B No namby pamby hobnob or pastry alternatives
Melt some marg/butter (4 oz?) and stir into the crushed digestives
Press the mixture into a greased flan dish/shallow basin
Put in fridge to chill for an hour or two

Boil 2/3 cans of Fussells or similar condensed milk left in the can (Do not pierce) in a saucepan full of simmering water for 4 hours. Do not allow to boil dry unless you have comprehensive house insurance
Slice 3/4 bananas and set aside
When the condensed milk has boiled, carefully pierce the cans - it will shoot out!) and "butter" the top of the digestive base to allow the bananas to stick to it
Put the bananas on the "buttered" biscuit base
Lay the rest of the condensed milk over the bananas using a knife dipped in water to smooth
Put in a fridge to cool for a hour
When completely chilled, add whipped cream and decorate
Serve with Pear Vodka

Banofee Pie are you from the hungry monk ???

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Blackberries - Loads from my cultivated Loch Ness plants. Delightfully the new canes this year (which will bear fruit next year) are huge so hopefully more to come next year.
Raspberries - Autumn Bliss produced a nice steady crop that is still going. Put some Tulameen Summer type in over the winter but haven't produced many canes (might take a couple of years to establish.
Blueberries - Disappointing. New Pink Lemonade type hasn't produced any fruit.
Goji - Hasn't done a lot. Might have over watered it this year.
Cocktail Kiwi Fruit - Produced about 25 fruit. Respectable effort for it's first year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here