Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer clear out

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
You gotta love these threads. Of all the players mentioned, only Lallana and Milner are out of contract this summer (Albion have an option on Milner).

Are we just going to make these other players disappear?

Easy. On football manager, I’ll take over other clubs that I dislike, and then buy the players I want out. Liverpool got Milner back for 60m, Dahoud to palace. Lampety usually gets picked up for a decent amount anyway.

I spent all the cash on Ivan Toney and a bunch of wonderkids.

Maybe TB could do something similar.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Where is this magic player tree? Because some of those exits leave a serious experience gulf and massive positional weakness and another bunch of south American kids won't be enough.
There must be a magic player tree because clubs like Bournemouth, Fulham, Wolves and yes even Palace seem able to unearth decent PL standard players!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’ve won 1 of our last 9 league games. 5 of those 9 were losses. And the 3 draws were against Everton, Burnley and Brentford. Top 6 was done ages ago. We’ve been shocking.
Some of us have known that since the turn of the year and didn't need oh so predictable results against our actual competition to validate it.

It still doesn't change the fact the overarching narrative here, right up until last night, has been Mitoma and March make this squad Europe bound again.
Now, suddenly, being shite is the fault of a few scapegoats.

THe club has been wrong for months something has happened and everyone is off kilter, not just the usual targets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Understand the point but I think football has changed now. Many more players break into senior football at early ages and therefore are ‘experienced’ well before their 30’s.

To explain my point. Tonight was Phil Foden’s 264th senior game for City and he is only 23. He’s not a kid he’s an experienced player. Obviously he’s world class and way above our level but just using him as the example as we played them tonight.

There are plenty of players across Europe in their mid-twenties with bags of experience. We just need to stump up the money to get them in.
He hasn’t played 264 times for City.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
To leave.

Lamptey
Moder
Lallana
Milner
Facu
Fati
Webster
Steele

Evan to go out on loan and get gametime and confidence

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Nail on head!

Some people seem to think we can just put player X in the shop window, tell Fabrizio that Chelsea, West Ham and some random foreign club are interested and that Brighton's asking price is £12M and the job's a good 'un. You know, like what it is on Football Manager!

How did we manage to loan out the following?

Dahoud, Alzate, Sarmiento, Undav, Sima

I’m pretty sure each club they’ve been loaned to would be looking to make offers

Players do leave clubs and sign for other teams

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can you define what you mean by 'proper signings'? As opposed to what we have been doing for the last few year?

And Gilmore?? What are you thinking there?
As in, players who are experienced at this level and who are ready to play now in their prime years in positions we’re lacking like full back, centre back and centre mid. Our recruitment has been brilliant and I’m not criticising the recruitment department or board as previously we’ve not been in the financial position to make these type of signings. But with the money we’ve made and the chance to move on a lot of the HUGE squad we have to free up wages and transfer funds, I think now is time.

And personally, I just don’t rate Gilmour. He’s alright and if we want to keep him as a squad player then fine but I don’t think he is or will be good enough as a starter for where we want to be and if we can make some decent money from him, I think we should.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I do really think we need quite a large overhaul and refresh. Would like to see quite a few changes as we do carry a lot of deadwood. We lack genuine quality, physicality and players in their prime years in a lot of areas.

Unless we make some serious changes, I think we will have a real struggle next season. Players I’d move on:

Milner
Lamptey
Webster
Gilmour
Moder
Fati (obviously)
Mcgill
Peupion
Undav
Sima
Leonard
Weir
Turns
Dahoud
Alzate
Sarmiento

There are probably some under 21’s we can move on too.

That should free up further funds in addition to the profits we’ve already made to make some proper signings in addition to Osman and any other loaned out/under 21 players we think can step up.

I would keep Steele as third choice and add Lallana to coaching staff and play him occassionally when needed as a late sub. He can’t start now.
Get rid of Sima before we’ve even tried him! Lucky good stikers are easy to find

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As in, players who are experienced at this level and who are ready to play now in their prime years in positions we’re lacking like full back, centre back and centre mid. Our recruitment has been brilliant and I’m not criticising the recruitment department or board as previously we’ve not been in the financial position to make these type of signings. But with the money we’ve made and the chance to move on a lot of the HUGE squad we have to free up wages and transfer funds, I think now is time.

And personally, I just don’t rate Gilmour. He’s alright and if we want to keep him as a squad player then fine but I don’t think he is or will be good enough as a starter for where we want to be and if we can make some decent money from him, I think we should.
Ah okay, like 1st team ready signing. Yeah that would be great this Window.

Gilmore would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Funny old game of opinions ain't it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, out of interest ..... which clubs do you think will be knocking down Albion's door, demanding to buy players (and pay them more than they are on at Albion) that are now generally deemed not good enough for Albion?
They don’t have to be paid more. If a player has a year left on a lucrative deal he might be inclined to take a longer deal on lesser money elsewhere to safeguard his future. Also, sometimes clubs pay players off to move on, or even just leave. Loan arrangements with part of the wages covered etc. Plenty of ways.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As much as I will get slated for this, all of the above plus dunk. We need a new leader on the pitch
I won’t slate you.

I don’t think we should get rid, but we need a new centre back pairing. We have to prepare for the future.

And as others have said: Pascal, Veltman, Milner, Lampty, Lallana, Moder, Fati (obvs), Webster.

Big clear out.

Won’t happen.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think Baleba will turn out well, he just needs more time and for all the doom and gloom, how many players have we had breakthrough this season and get decent games under their belts? It stands us in much better stead, even more regular players like JPvH, Gilmour, Adingra, Buoanotte etc have all made massive improvements and this is their first proper seasons playing with us really.

There are probably a few to let go, I think Lallana and Milner are on their last legs now and I don’t think they have another season in them. Fati will go back, shame he didn’t take off. I can maybe see Moder being moved on, I get the impression RDZ maybe doesn’t know what his best position is and I feel that holds him back a bit.
Here’s the difference Barco looks like a player it’s an easy spot he has talent.
Baleba we are hoping he has talent, for £23m crap buy.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
What we need: a clear out
What we face: several contracted players opting against falling on their swords

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The reality is that very few of the players we need to get rid of , would want to leave unless a Prem club want to pick them up.
Gross and Undav are the only players I can think of that might want out ( I would love for both of them to be available next season)

I suspect we will see an end of Fati/Lallana/Milner and that will be all.

We need some pace to be brought in across the squad.
We are now painfully slow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How did we manage to loan out the following?

Dahoud, Alzate, Sarmiento, Undav, Sima

I’m pretty sure each club they’ve been loaned to would be looking to make offers

Players do leave clubs and sign for other teams
Because clubs take players on loan. Cheaper than buying.

Some of the above may be sold (but not the huge lists some have been suggesting).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Gilmour can’t dictate play against strong opposition, he’s not good enough.

And Undav is only scoring goals because the standard of defences in the Bundesliga is appalling. If fans genuinely think he’s going to come back and bang in goals in the PL, they’re going to be very disappointed.
It's a bit early in Gilmour's career to be clearing him out, I think. He's had a few really good games this season, and only turns 23 this summer. Worth comparing his development with MacAllister's career trajectory, who, although he came over to us having just turned 21 in January 2020 (just before Covid), didn't really have his breakout season until season 21/22, when he was 23.

Another big factor is that Gilmour hasn't had the luxury of playing alongside enforcers such as Bissouma and/or Caicedo, which MacAllister did throughout his Albion career.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit early in Gilmour's career to be clearing him out, I think. He's had a few really good games this season, and only turns 23 this summer. Worth comparing his development with MacAllister's career trajectory, who, although he came over to us having just turned 21 in January 2020 (just before Covid), didn't really have his breakout season until season 21/22, when he was 23.

Another big factor is that Gilmour hasn't had the luxury of playing alongside enforcers such as Bissouma and/or Caicedo, which MacAllister did throughout his Albion career.
Looking forward to WBG setting the Euros alight in the summer :clap:

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
Milner , lalllana , Webster , Steele gone please.

Moder started back well from injury and I think he deserves a summer to prepare when the ship is steadied. Lamptey offers squad depth and a threat off the bench so would keep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here