Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "Sumfin", "whatevs" and "simples" added to Oxford English Dictionary

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The pedants regarding grammar will be spinning in they’re proverbial graves soon
I'm a completely unapologetic grammar Nazi and I have no problem with new words; it's not as if they've been issued as replacements for the older words from which they are derived. And sometimes the newer words/terms don't stick around.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"Whatevs"?? Surely "whevs". Only really old people have time to use the old-fashioned long form.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Simples: Shit word, but if people use it, fair enough.

Whatevs: Really? It's just an abbreviation, why does it need to be in the dictionary?

Chillax: I think that should be in the dictionary, makes sense.

Sumfin: Is it April ****ing fools day? What the actual ****? That's just a mispronunciation by ****ing morons.

Sumfink obviously need to be in there as well, surely that's more commonly used.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I agree that it doesn't sound great, and we wouldn't use it, but that is how language evolves.

People at the time probably thought 'Thanks', 'Bye' and plenty others were all going to ruin the language we speak, these days no one can imagine English without them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Simples" - in there courtesy of a tedious long-running ad campaign. Anyone who actually uses that word in any context deserves to be beaten to death with their own shoes.

"Whatevs" and "Sumfin" - just further contributions to the gradual dumbing-down of our language. It basically promotes illiteracy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree that it doesn't sound great, and we wouldn't use it, but that is how language evolves.

People at the time probably thought 'Thanks', 'Bye' and plenty others were all going to ruin the language we speak, these days no one can imagine English without them.

They did indeed. Charles Dickens came in for abuse when he first introduced dreadful Americanisms into English. Words such as 'international', 'influential' and 'lengthy'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm a completely unapologetic grammar Nazi and I have no problem with new words; it's not as if they've been issued as replacements for the older words from which they are derived. And sometimes the newer words/terms don't stick around.
Dear Brovion

Thank you for applying to join the Grammar Nazi Police.

As you know, we have a very thorough admissions process, and on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful. Since this is the first time you have applied to join GNP, you will be eligible to re-apply in 12 months time.

Sincerely
Triggaaar
Employee Selection Team Director

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Simples: Shit word, but if people use it, fair enough.

Whatevs: Really? It's just an abbreviation, why does it need to be in the dictionary?

Chillax: I think that should be in the dictionary, makes sense.

Sumfin: Is it April ****ing fools day? What the actual ****? That's just a mispronunciation by ****ing morons.

Agreed.

Sumfin is literally just a word being misspelled. It doesn't mean anything different, does it?

If not, we then need to add all misspellings ever. Daft.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its difficult to find any bastions of ' Oxford English ' anymore. There are small pockets here and there, probably best spoken by those north of Edinburgh or by educated ' sub-continentals. The public school English has got lazy but is still infinitely acceptable to the unintelligible garbage that has morphed from bastardized cockney, that young men started speaking around the Home Counties, in the 60's and 70's, to this fashionable shite, now doing the rounds. It involves large elements of black culture mixed in with the immature and mentally challenged, who don't know any better and think it gives them some sort of street cred.
We need the language police out on the streets, to start getting everyone to laugh at anyone using words like this. Just endless hysterical laughter at them. Doubled over, side-splitting roars of laughter. We cannot let the simpletons hijack our language anymore. It should be left to the rest of us to speak our beautiful tongue in the way it was intended.
Are these words going to be taught in schools? If not, they should be drummed out of our language

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed.

Sumfin is literally just a word being misspelled. It doesn't mean anything different, does it?

If not, we then need to add all misspellings ever. Daft.
I assume it just means 'something'. I've never seen it written down, but I've heard it along with nufin, nufink, sumink, etc. Presumably people write it in WhatsApp etc, but so what? Is m8 going to be in the dictionary too?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
To those who say this is dumbing down our language. It is simplification of language. Which is in theory a good thing. I'm sure there are thousands of examples of words we currently use that were previously much harder to say or pronounce.

Aee you also getting angry at how people say Worcester? Which was actually pronounced Werchester until people stopped saying it like that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here