Sullivan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

priesty

Jun 30, 2008
How many goals has sullivan conceded since his debut?
Feels like a shed load.......
Now i know that most of the goals have not been his fault but nonetheless but if your side is leaking goals for fun then goal-keeper is the one of the places you have to look at.

I am inclined to agree with some others that a more experienced keeper would help the current situation.
I think sullivan has great potential but the fact of the matter is that we are in a relegation dog-fight and i can't help but feel that a more experience keeper would organise our back 4.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't be against Kuipers coming back in... but he's conceded loads of goals this season too hasn't he?

Mar 13, 2008
A keeper is only as good as his defence
But a defence (why does my computer say that is spelt wrong) is more comfortable with a decent/experienced goalkeeper behind it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can remember when Royce was on loan with us and we conceded 20 goals in a very short space of time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
have a feeling that he and others will be rested this weekend.
Expect a defence of Kuipers, Whing (or el Abd) Virgo, Hawkins, McNulty

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Its all about the defence!

Van der Sar has gone 13 games without concedinig a goal but during those 13 games he has only had 20 shots to save.

If Sullivan was in Man Utd's team for those 13 games, he would have had an England call up by now!!! (Or he would have conceded 20 goals?!?!)

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Its all about the defence!

Van der Sar has gone 13 games without concedinig a goal but during those 13 games he has only had 20 shots to save.

If Sullivan was in Man Utd's team for those 13 games, he would have had an England call up by now!!! (Or he would have conceded 20 goals?!?!)

Absolutely right, I get sick of all the praise Van Der Sar gets, he has f*** all to do most of the time! And Sullivan, I believe, has kept us in many games before, which says something about how many shots are fired towards our goal.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Not quite as simple as that.

Many times on Tuesday there was an apparent lack of communication between keeper and defence. And communication is a two-way thing.

To an extent i agree, but even so with the best will in the world, the amount of chances teams are creating against us, doesn't matter is it is Sullivan in goal, or Kuipers or Petr Cech, teams will score.

I'm not saying Sullivan is blameless, he doesn't always communicate with the defence as well as he could and his distribution from what i have seen this season particularly from goal kicks has been poor, the amount of times he has put the ball into touch has been criminal.

All I'm saying is lets sort out the defensive errors that have cost us massively this season first to stop teams having stupid amount of chances on our goal first.

To be fair Kuipers has also conceded a fair few goals this season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Give Sully a break! He's got to be one of the youngest keepers in the league, and as such, he's still loearning. Remember, not so long ago we were desperate to find cover for Kuipers - now we don't need to, and we haven't had to shell out either. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the FDM, and I'll be quite happy to see him between the sticks - but he ain't going to go on forever.
Meanwhile we shpould be bloody glad that we've got an asset in the form of a good young English keeper (and there's darned few of those around these days) coming through, who's good enough to step up to the plate when required - and with the right handling, he'll get better.
OK, he's made mistakes (and so has everyone else in our defence) but he's made some excellent saves too.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I am inclined to agree with some others that a more experienced keeper would help the current situation.
I think sullivan has great potential but the fact of the matter is that we are in a relegation dog-fight and i can't help but feel that a more experience keeper would organise our back 4.

That lets Michel out then.

(Edit: The Bloom family might like to differ.)

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Both keepers are completely up to the task. Would be happy with either in the starting line-up.

What worries me is the complete and utter lack of footballing sense in the homegrown defensive setup. They've obviously had 'Clear Yer Lines At All Costs' drilled into them from an early age by dunces, and Butters seemed to validate that approach, but - jeez! - how hard can it be to train a hoofer to maybe look up, take a bit of time on the ball, and then pass it along the ground to somebody in the same colour shirt. It's not rocket science. It's not even GCSE science.

Personally I blame the youth team coach :dunce:

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
There are 10 other players in the team on the pitch at the same time as him! Sully isnt the problem!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The biggest problem on Tuesday was the 2 central defenders in front of him who were not up to the task.

I still think that all 3 will be changed tomorrow.

I've no problem with the defenders being changed but Sullivan MUST stay in goal. After all, we lost to Peterboro because of a bad decision by the ref and some sloppy defending, not sloppy goalkeeping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports