Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Do you have any idea of numbers from a smart meter or a fag pocket estimate?

We’ve been turning various things on and off to try and determine what our (old but functional) fridge freezer is doing as I think it could be one of our worst culprits.

Buy a plug in energy meter, very useful for establishing the consumption of an individual appliance. Buy it through Amazon on here and help the site earn a few pennies too :)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Do you have any idea of numbers from a smart meter or a fag pocket estimate?

We’ve been turning various things on and off to try and determine what our (old but functional) fridge freezer is doing as I think it could be one of our worst culprits.

When we went on holiday, I turned off everything apart from a fridge freezer and my special, quite small, soft drinks fridge (it IS special). The electricity was 81p per day, so knocking off 30p standing charge, I reckon the fridge freezer was about 40p per day.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We have an "upside down house", with bedrooms downstairs and living areas upstairs. Great in the summer, as the cooler bedrooms are comfortable for sleeping.

But it took us ages to balance the levels in the winter - with the room thermostat set for cosy upstairs, it left the bedroom too cold, even with the downstairs radiator thermostats on max. We resolved this by moving the (wireless) thermostat downstairs and setting a comfortable temperature for the bedroom (radiators still on max). The upstairs rooms were then limited by the radiator thermostats, providing a decent balance and better controllability.

But that means we're unnecessarily heating the bedrooms all evening when the central heating is on - it just needs a boost on waking and before bedtime. Any suggestions how to get a decent balance?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For the first time ever, we're actually putting money aside every month now for the quarterly bills. Usually we'd just pay them as and when they come in and think nothing more of it, but with this shitstorm on the way, there's no other option.

I've aways put money aside every month to cover potential car costs from MOTs / services or whatnot, be they unexpected or not. But never done it just to cover energy costs.

Grim.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Grim, I know some businesses are shuttering up - after just getting by after covid they’re now seeing energy costs of £2k a month going to £8k+ a month so calling it a day. Sad

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wrap pensioners in kitchen foil .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For the first time ever, we're actually putting money aside every month now for the quarterly bills. Usually we'd just pay them as and when they come in and think nothing more of it, but with this shitstorm on the way, there's no other option.

I've aways put money aside every month to cover potential car costs from MOTs / services or whatnot, be they unexpected or not. But never done it just to cover energy costs.

Grim.

Similar.

I willingly set a £200 DD once our credit ran out in early Spring from our old supplier. Even that only has us just over £200 in credit now :eek:

For the past three months I've been tucking away another £400 a month in a savings account to help soften the blow when the shit really hits the fan.

Best tip I have though is nothing to do with money. I'm struggling to change the energy usage habits of the rest of the 1066 household and there's also bugger all I can do about the price rises. So for the last few months I've switched off Radio 4 and all news bar brief news updates on other BBC Radio and gone full blown Radio 3 and into blissful la la land. This is actually doing my mental health the world of good at the moment :thumbsup:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not reading all the posts,but try this Jacket Potatos pierce foil and slow cooker. It works. Like a boiled egg ? As many as you from cold when at boiling temp switch off heat but don't remove pan,they will cook themselves. Gravy too much maybe freeze it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve started reading peoples palms for £25.00 and that with my cat walking business I get by.
And now I’m having to cut back on hallucinative drugs.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks.

Just from looking at our baseline usage when on holiday - c2.5kWh a day, it could very well be using c2kWh a day, I think.

The only other things we think were left on in the house when we were away were the router (which could have been turned off) and a small fish tank filter/light/heater.

We’ve tried to isolate the latter and the usage is very low indeed. Not to mention we were away when it was scorching here, so it’s unlikely the heater would have kicked in at all.

(If you use the Loop or Hugo Energy apps you might get all your historic usage data as it comes from the smart meter. I think it’s supplier agnostic).

Buy a plug in energy meter, very useful for establishing the consumption of an individual appliance. Buy it through Amazon on here and help the site earn a few pennies too :)

Good idea - not hugely cheap https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Monitors/b?ie=UTF8&node=1938287031

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Use a small rechargeable torch/bicycle light rather than switching on lights after dark e.g. if you're nipping to the khazi for a J Carroll in the middle of the night.
Fairy lights/Christmas tree lights make great cheap ambient lighting. A couple of screws in the wall and easy to hang.
Use a desk lamp rather than overhead lights. Anglepoise are great as you can bounce the light off walls/ceiling for more/less illumination.
Make sure bulbs/appliances are AA or AAA rating, or close to it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thrifty tip; buy a couple of thermos flasks. Boil a kettle in the morning and make a couple of flasks of tea/coffee. Saves boiling the kettle over and over each time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Use a small rechargeable torch/bicycle light rather than switching on lights after dark e.g. if you're nipping to the khazi for a J Carroll in the middle of the night.
Fairy lights/Christmas tree lights make great cheap ambient lighting. A couple of screws in the wall and easy to hang.
Use a desk lamp rather than overhead lights. Anglepoise are great as you can bounce the light off walls/ceiling for more/less illumination.
Make sure bulbs/appliances are AA or AAA rating, or close to it.

Also USB powered lamps save a fair bit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why must you shove your political views into every bloody thread. We get it, you support labour, well **** off onto a political message board then
jeez

Apologies. It probably was a bit political. I genuinely meant it as a bit of humour. But yeah, fair enough.

*point of fact, I don’t support labour but that’s neither here nor there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here