Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sugar substitutes for tea.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am looking to cut down on my sugar intake. I have found that tea with no sweetener is not going to work.

This morning I tried Stevia and I can still taste the bitter aftertaste.

Honey is okay but a bit of a pain in the arse.

Any suggestions from you sweet muntha funkers?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't like sugar sweet anything really and have always had saccharin in tea since a child.

The modern sweetners taste rank to me and most of them go through me like a vindaloo prune sandwich.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stick with the no sugar. I did it years ago, makes a big difference if you drink a lot of tea.

It took me about two weeks to get used to it, tea with sugar now tastes rank.
I just stopped the sugar when I was about ten. And no cakes/sweets. I have a salty tooth.

But red label tea, squeeze the bags less than a minute after adding water, metal pot on the hob, pour, add milk, this is nectar.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Teabag in the mug, boiling water, 10 seconds, whip it out. No milk, no sugar, just tasty tea.

That’s what I like anyway. Works with everything from tetley to fancy nobby teabags.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just gradually reduce it over time, bit by bit, until you can go without.
That's exactly what I did. I used to be a 2 teaspoons man. I cut down to 1, then, when tea tasted nice again, went to a half, then none at all. Just stick to the plan. It works!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh, and all my own teeth, and one filling (done 50 years ago)
Two fillings and over 50, you've done better than me.

Did have to have a wisdom tooth removed in an unrelated matter during lockdown. The anesthetic didn't work and I took the choice to be "held down" or go to A&E.

Kicked in as I walking home and I uncontrollably starting laughing walking home on Clapham Junction. Work up covered in blood.

Those were the days

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Small amount of honey, it's what I've done with my coffee.
Yeah this was one option. I also thought I would try coconut sugar.

I think I'll give the reduction method another go first though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was a sugar shortage in the early 70s so I just stopped having sugar in tea. Tea tastes so much better without sugar, you’ll wonder why you ever added it.
Coffee took quite a bit longer to drink without it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am looking to cut down on my sugar intake. I have found that tea with no sweetener is not going to work.

Yes this Erythritol, zero cals and can barely tell difference, its a sugar alcohol made from fruit sugars, so while technically still a carb, youre body cant break it down and it goes right through you.

youll be fine with the odd teaspoon in tea, but have excessive amounts, like those zero sugar sweets and it will give you the shits!

Not cheap, £8 kilo but closest by far

Amazon product

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

You’re better off managing your sugar intake. Sugar substitutes, in particular Aspartame are nasty. They’ve been linked with all sorts of ailments, can be addictive and can cause negative Neurobehavioral effects with high consumption.

Not forgetting it also tastes like shit!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You’re better off managing your sugar intake. Sugar substitutes, in particular Aspartame are nasty. They’ve been linked with all sorts of ailments, can be addictive and can cause negative Neurobehavioral effects with high consumption.

Not forgetting it also tastes like shit!
3.5 hours ago I had that stevia and I can still taste it 🤢

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here