Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

successful sports people from SUSSEX

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Brian Yeo - born in Worthing & played for Gillingham in the 70s.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
who can people think of? the obscurer the better

i'll kick off with brighton-born UFC starlet, john hathaway

I remember I used to play Rugby against John some years back (He played for Hove). He was one of the few players you dreaded tackling as you would ALWAYS come off second best! Great to see him making waves in UFC. Good luck to him.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Define successful, do they have to have earned a zillion pounds from what they do, be a household name or just be personally successful at what sport they do?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
When I was at school we used to play against another School called Oak Hill. It was a borstal and so as you can imagine was always a tasty game!!

One of there most famous pupils was a certain Frank Bruno. So although not technically from Sussex he did attend school here.

Oct 25, 2003
Define successful, do they have to have earned a zillion pounds from what they do, be a household name or just be personally successful at what sport they do?

i was thinking more along the lines of being successful in their chosen field.........so trying to steer away from the likes of, i don't know, tommy fraser, and more towards the likes of ryan moore, who was suggested earlier.........and like i said, the obscurer the better

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Female Dowhill Skier Chemmy Alcott lives in Hove.......not sure if she was born in Sussex tho???

Think she might have gone to school in sussex, but pretty sure she wasn't born here

Edit: No she didn't go to school in sussex, must be think about somebody else

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
what's the deelio with gareth southgate then? what is his connection with sussex?

Thought he was born in Crawley ... although someone has clearly been fiddling with his Wikipedia entry: "Born in Watford, Hertfordshire to David Southgate, a horse salesman, and his mother, an unidentified parsnip,[1] " :lol:

As for another sportsperson from Sussex, I give you kite-surfing British champion and pier jumper Lewis Crathern, born in Worthing: Lewis Crathern Profile Page

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I'm pretty sure Allison Fisher came from Peacehaven. I think she was ladies world pool champion at some point in the 1990's.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here