Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] "Substantial Meal"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rolls eyes. Come on then, what’s the government’s definition of a substantial meal? I’ll pre-empt the answer with they really and truly do not help themselves do they?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now the real test on Scouse Speak would be to order ‘chicken in the basket breakfast special’. :drink:

My local tried serving soup-in-the-basket....the idea fell through though.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
When I lived in Camden when all the local pubs shut including my fav The Elephants Head the place to go was the Marathon Restaurant/Bar in Chalk Farm were we would carry on the party and band members would jam until dawn, all with a plate of chips or Kebab. Amy Winehouse used to be in their sometimes dancing to Rockabilly.
Also mentioned in the below link is the The Mac Bar across the road from where we lived on Royal College Street, many a wild night in both venues...

https://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2013/11/22/party-five-legendary-bars/

Was just about to mention the Marathon. Used to live round the corner from it back in the early 2000s. Restaurant/Bar is somewhat overselling it. It was a kebab shop with a room out the back!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rolls eyes. Come on then, what’s the government’s definition of a substantial meal? I’ll pre-empt the answer with they really and truly do not help themselves do they?

Being pretty much bog leapers in Liverpool, I would have thought this is pretty obvious...

Attachments

• Winner-Potato-v2.jpg
    Winner-Potato-v2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 176

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Was just about to mention the Marathon. Used to live round the corner from it back in the early 2000s. Restaurant/Bar is somewhat overselling it. It was a kebab shop with a room out the back!

We probably crossed paths many times my friend.

Quinns still going with the two brothers behind the bar ?

Ah just remembered another place in Kentish Town, up near the Forum, it used to be a kebab place I think, you went into the shop and they would let you go downstairs and there was an underground bar with I think a few tables and a back room, all very dodgy !

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

There isn't one, but this new law is made on the back of the existing law about 16 and 17 year olds being allowed to drink a limited quantity of alcohol with a "table meal".

Licensing Act 2003 s. 150(4) - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/section/150

s. 159 - definition - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/section/159

" “table meal” means a meal eaten by a person seated at a table, or at a counter or other structure which serves the purpose of a table and is not used for the service of refreshments for consumption by persons not seated at a table or structure serving the purpose of a table"

The House of Lords debate on this bill is shown in my above post.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In Scotland in the early 70s, pubs couldn't open on Sundays, only hotels could - and they could only sell drinks with a meal. The 'meal' was usually a lettuce leaf, a (very thin) slice of tomato and a cream cracker or similar!

You can see why Scotland has the worst diet in Western Europe !

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bradley's was one of them. There were a few in a row. Was it called Hanway Place though? Next street along from Rathbone. You knew you'd had a good night out if you ended up there at closing time.

You are right it’s Hanway Place leading to Hanway Street - Rathbone is west of it (shows my knowledge is deteriorating due to a lack of driving)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
When I lived in Camden when all the local pubs shut including my fav The Elephants Head the place to go was the Marathon Restaurant/Bar in Chalk Farm were we would carry on the party and band members would jam until dawn, all with a plate of chips or Kebab. Amy Winehouse used to be in their sometimes dancing to Rockabilly.
Also mentioned in the below link is the The Mac Bar across the road from where we lived on Royal College Street, many a wild night in both venues...

https://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2013/11/22/party-five-legendary-bars/

No, this was the place to go! https://thedublincastle.com/

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I have a dim recollection of having to buy food as a condition of entry to Sherry’s on Sundays back in the 70s - basket food stuff that was edible by the standards of a teenager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Law here in Sweden is that if you serve alcohol you also need to serve food... got some pros and cons

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hmm day tripper pub....

A few good gigs, but mainly living off the back of the early 80s, although I must say the dangermen gigs were excellent!!

** cough ** alas I'm talking the 80s, I'm 58 and don't think I'd "blend in" now :lol::lol::lol:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I see several pubs in Liverpool who previously weren't serving food at all, have just suddenly started doing basic microwave meals in their pubs for a fiver thus circumventing them having to close.

Just seen on the news that a few have taken this route to keep themselves open, so you go in and order a 'table service' lasagna or cottage pie etc, then you can order as many beers as you like as you've had a meal in the pub. One couple interviewed said they went in at 5.30pm to their local and had such a meal and left just before 10pm having had 5 or 6 drinks over the evening.

Wonder how many other places will take this tack?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here