Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbeteo,come-on own up.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Was it true that the 'inventor' wanted simply to call it 'Hobby' as indeed it was, but was told it was not possible to patent such a name so reverted to the Latin for the Bird of Prey 'Hobby' from the genus 'Buteo'?

My first set of Subbuteo was acquired before they came in sets representing individual clubs. I had the flat celluloid players in red shirts and white shorts and the flat celluloid players in blue shirts and white shorts.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a pitch stuck onto a sheet of hardboard, also had the fence all round the pitch. I did have a few other accessories like dug outs and the FA Cup.
Can't remember exactly how many teams I had but I bought some in the London Road Co-op. I'm sure I had a Brighton team but i did have a West Ham team with the Admiral kit with the multiple v design on the shirt.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I had England, Mexico (86 world cup), Southampton, spurs (England) & middlesboro randomly

el punal

Had the lot
3 grandstands down both sides a couple of opening terracing plus the 4 corner opening terracing, 4 floodlights, tv gantry, electronic scoreboard (well sort of) Corner kickers, picket fencing plus the beautiful World Cup coloured goal nets (red & blue)
Plus about 30 different teams ranging from Brazil Arsenal Leeds Albion and even Luton Town

I would have been very jealous! My effort was a piece of green baize beautifully appointed with all the appropriate match day line markings. Proper Subbuteo goals and a grandstand built with Lego bricks - better than Withdean, not as good as the Amex. Floodlights were two suitably positioned torches. The players were resplendent in Albion's strip of the time (mid 1960s) of blue shirts with white sleeves, white shorts and white socks - thank you Humbrol paints for making it possible!

The Albion never lost a game defeating Man.Utd and Chelsea on the way to winning countless FA Cup finals. :albion2:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpeg
beautiful

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep that's the one
Had a brown old fashioned scoreboard with all the names printed on white paper slips to slot in the scoreboard,then after the Argentina 78 World Cup the black electronic looking scoreboard came out

We had that black electronic one. It had all the Scottish league teams as well and had all the teams from the 78 world cup on the cardboard slips in electronic print. Eventually one of the legs for it broke and it had to be carefully positioned against a wall after that.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Got the 78 World Cup Edition ,Euro 84 Edition [ West Germany France 15 Players in box] ,5 a side Edition which was a pitch half the size of a normal one,Indoor Edition Blue pitch with walls,Subbuteo Record which played crowd noises:lolol:,Astroturf Pitch ,World Cup Scoreboard and Jules Rimet Trophy. When i gave up playing around 1990 i'd amassed over 100 teams ,rare ones at the time including Brescia ,Harlem ,Marsaxlokk,Peru . My favourite was Burnley from the mid 70 's Claret with a Blue v down the front,i have seen this on Ebay for £90. My mates hated playing me due to my negative 7 2 1 formation hoof ball tatics.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Still have my set from the late 60s/early 70s. Teams I think (without digging in a cupboard to check) were Man Utd, Chelsea and Brazil, as mainly played it before my Albion awakening at the age of about 12. Had loads of the odd accessories like the shooting practice thing you attached onto the goal with holes to shoot through. Also the bizarre giant corner taker.

Were you a flicker or a nudger, though? Loads of arguments over allowed technique I seem to recall :lolol:

Loved subbuteo, and I was a nudger!

Used to buy teams based on their kits - Luton town, Leeds yellow kit, Brazil, England 77, NO 51 of course. Arsenal, Coventry city, Liverpool and so on. Used to put the little transfer numbers on the backs of the players, anyone remember that? Always used to slide off, crumple or go off centre! Unfortunately, wardy got his legs broken often and ended up pretty much a stump of uhu glue - good low centre of gravity though!

I also tried my hand at painting their new kits, with obvious differences to the quality of finish. I gave that up quite quickly.

Used to try and play in the dark with the floodlights, as I'm sure like the rest of you (unless you had 36 of them) it did not work out too well with many substitutions made due to broken legs of players. Re-thought that one.

Corner kickers , goalies with a spring, World Cup goals, throw in players, different size balls (anyone remember the very large orange ball you got with your first set?)

All good fun and absolutely loved it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I also had the 5 a side version, Football Express.

Subbuteo cricket was ok but having to lean across the pitch to bat and bowl ensured casualties nearly every match.

They did Rugby and Fishing (or have I made this up?)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Were you a table player or a carpet player?

We could only extend the dining room table and play it on there when my Mum wasn't around, plus you needed a blanket underneath the pitch to stop it sliding off, so most games I ever played would have been on the floor.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
different size balls (anyone remember the very large orange ball you got with your first set?)

All good fun and absolutely loved it.

small white, brown and orange (for the snow!) balls I seem to recall

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I also had the 5 a side version, Football Express.

Subbuteo cricket was ok but having to lean across the pitch to bat and bowl ensured casualties nearly every match.

They did Rugby and Fishing (or have I made this up?)

Fishing you didn't make up. Anyone have Subbuteo Speedway?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Were you a table player or a carpet player?

We could only extend the dining room table and play it on there when my Mum wasn't around, plus you needed a blanket underneath the pitch to stop it sliding off, so most games I ever played would have been on the floor.

Carpet player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here