Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suarez £10 million a year... it's indecent

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's not the clubs that provide the money to pay the high wages to players - it's not the media that provides the money to pay the clubs to play the players - ultimately it is you and I who pay the club and pay the media and buy the goods that provides the money to pay the players.

All the time we are willing to pay ridiculously high prices for tickets, subscribe to the likes of Sky and pay well over the odds for goods linked to players and clubs then it will continue.

The players and the clubs are only providing what we, the fans, are demanding - we are the only ones to 'blame'

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...and for some reason Liverpool cannot afford to build a new stadium to replace the slum they currently inhabit. Cannot think why.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Yes, because if Liverpool weren't paying Suarez all this money, they'd surely be building a hospital in Eastbourne instead...

would be nice if they did. During the 80s Eastbourne supported many a scouser (most of who seemed to be crap plasterers).

Dec 29, 2011
Players wages are fuelled by TV and commercial deals. I have no problem with what they earn, we live in a capitalist world that rewards scarce skills, and therefore it is inevitable these people will end up with big numbers due to the fact they deliver what the sponsors and TV companies want.

I'd agree, but our society also relies on taxing the rich. I'd hazard a guess a lot of pro footballers take part in tax avoidance in one form or another. Want everything but not prepared to give some back.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Money will be the total downfall of football, it has got to a ridiculous stage now, in my opinion!

Way to much foreign involvement now, with players, managers and just about every other aspect of the game, Cardiff, Man City, Chelsea, QPR to name but a few, if the money people pull out those clubs will struggle, many fans are struggling to afford attending games, TV is supporting it all.

Personally I think its only a matter of time before a big club wakes up one morning and wonders what has happened, far to many people are earning stupid amounts of money out of the game, the pot will run dry eventually.

Can anything be done about it? probably not, well not unless common sense prevails and players stop earning the absolute stupid wages many of them get, also I really would love to know how much of this money that is earnt within the football industry is actually re-generated back into the British system, the fact we are over run with foreign players and staff, my guess is much of it ends up outside of this country.

Maybe I am totally wrong, I really hope I am!

Been thinking this for a long while now. The bubble will/has to burst sooner or later but it will take a big clubs fall to do so. Chelsea is where my doh would be the safest bet. RA will be the first to say 'bollocks to this, I'm off' I reckon

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Money will be the total downfall of football, it has got to a ridiculous stage now, in my opinion!

Way to much foreign involvement now, with players, managers and just about every other aspect of the game, Cardiff, Man City, Chelsea, QPR to name but a few, if the money people pull out those clubs will struggle, many fans are struggling to afford attending games, TV is supporting it all.

Personally I think its only a matter of time before a big club wakes up one morning and wonders what has happened, far to many people are earning stupid amounts of money out of the game, the pot will run dry eventually.

Can anything be done about it? probably not, well not unless common sense prevails and players stop earning the absolute stupid wages many of them get, also I really would love to know how much of this money that is earnt within the football industry is actually re-generated back into the British system, the fact we are over run with foreign players and staff, my guess is much of it ends up outside of this country.

Maybe I am totally wrong, I really hope I am!

I think this was the view expressed in some quarters when Trevor Francis became the first million pound player but still the spiral continues upwards.

As for where all the cash goes in wages, its hard to be sure, but often foreign players invariably have hangers on to pay a salary to and I expect they don't have the nous to get too much out. The players themselves will have ways of getting a fair wad abroad but, why shouldn't they when lots of high street companies are dedicated to cashing in then getting theirs out of the country too ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'd agree, but our society also relies on taxing the rich. I'd hazard a guess a lot of pro footballers take part in tax avoidance in one form or another. Want everything but not prepared to give some back.

This certainly used to be the case but HMRC has tightened up the rules and as far as club payments to players are concerned then these are now taxed via PAYE.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM64100.htm

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
check out how they're ***king over the people who live near the ground

fecked over or done a favor? these are crappy back to back terraces in an otherwise forgetten corner of a deprived city, some rose tinted glasses in that article methinks.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
fecked over or done a favor? these are crappy back to back terraces in an otherwise forgetten corner of a deprived city, some rose tinted glasses in that article methinks.

ain't necessarily so. I lived in a supposedly shithole area of Leeds for a couple of years and after a month or so I found it to be a quite delightful neighbourhood ............. until someone set fire to one of the houses, that put me off a bit.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Shocking.....It sounds like the script for an American film, you don't expect this sort of behavior in 2013.

You're right it is shocking. But also wrong, sadly you DO expect that sort of thing in 2013.
Reading these posts, which is pretty depressing we mostly agree. I'd never considered the millions or even billions of pounds paid to foreign players here. And how It must in its entirety finds it's way abroad. Think I'll get pizzed :drink::whisky::drink::whisky::drink::whisky:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Compared to other sports he's not actually making the top $, not by a long stretch.

10 million a year in sports like the NBA, MLB etc is well short of what the elite players in those sports make.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

So why the need to sneak about using stealth buying tactics, Surely the decent thing would be to offer them a fair price so they could move to one of the better parts of the city.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The beers are on Suarez

33ynhwg.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here