Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sturrock

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
This is fantastic news 4 me cos i know loads of plymouth fans and in fact iv got 2 little brothers who support them and iv been getting so much stick all season! it would b murder 4 me if they r in the 1st and we r in the 2nd.i spoke 2 a couple of my mates last nite and they were on cloud 9 but its gonna take an almighty effort from them 2 do it without sturrock (if he goes) as he is such a fantastic manager.apparently i hear kevin summerfield his assistant will take charge an inexperienced manager at such an important time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
marvin said:
Or Mcghee from Brighton to keep the grumpy scot manager merry go round going :)

I can't see McGhee going anywhere in a hurry especially after he made a big thing of not being poached when he arrived. Still best ask Reading about McGhee.

I'm still slightly surprised that Saints didn't go for M. Adams esq. as an ex player there and with higher league experience you would have thought he was a contender.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great news for us - sorry Plymouth but might knock a big whole in your promotion campaign.

Been there and done it this season - you have been warned.

Wotton is God

Jan 6, 2004
This speculation has been on for a long time. As far as I can make out, at the moment Luggy is just talking to them, as he did with Watford last year. However, our Vice Chairman Peter Jones' comments as reported by the reliable Gordon Sparks are a very serious worry if correctly quoted - the rest seems meeja speculation so far.

Argyle supporters have been worried about this for a long time, but have held on to the hope that Luggy's past record is one of loyalty - with the exception of when he left his beloved Dundee United because he was too close to it (and to correct one of the posts above - he didn't have heart problems while there, merely a case of hyperventilation - proving the point). He is on record as saying he intends to take Argyle as far as he can - and we can, like the Albion, do better than top of Div 2 at the 3/4 mark in the season.

We can only hope the story proves unfounded. However, if it does prove true we will be utterly devastated. Kevin Summerfield would probably take over in the short term at least. No way would we want your McGhee judas, or that similar Adams bloke come to that. Next most likely would be a return for Neil Warnock, who intends to retire to the house he has in Cornwall (bledy emmet) and whose name was being sung at Home Park last night - the fact we were playing Sheff Weds was all there was to that though.

By the way, Chief Exec John McNulty was binned well before Christmas.

:(

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
It will certainly be a massive problem for Argyle if he does leave. Shame we are not a bit closer to them in the league.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From the bbc website

Paul Sturrock is on the verge of becoming Southampton's new manager.
BBC Sport understands that Plymouth boss Sturrock has agreed personal terms with Saints chairman Rupert Lowe.

The two clubs will now thrash out a compensation package for Sturrock, who had a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to Premiership clubs.

Plymouth vice-chairman Peter Jones said: "We're desperately sad to lose him, but these opportunities do not come along very often."

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe turned his attentions to former Scottish international Sturrock after Glenn Hoddle withdrew from the race.

Hoddle pulled out of the race of the race on Wednesday, claiming that he did not have the support of the entire board.

Sturrock signed a new five-year contract at Plymouth in the summer - stretching until summer 2008 - but crucially insisted on the clause allowing him to talk to a Premiership club.

Jones told BBC Radio Five Live: "I think it would be difficult for any manager with real talent and real ambition to turn down the chance to manage a decent club - and let's be honest, Southampton are a decent club.

"It's not often a man gets the chance to pit his wits against Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson and so forth."

"If Paul wants to go, we can't stop him. Our whole relationship with Paul has been one which has been based on trust and openness, and that remains the case.

"However, we are slightly surprised at Southampton's actions, given their history with Tottenham Hotspur."

STURROCK FACTFILE
1979-89: 385 league appearances, 109 goals for Dundee Utd
1983: Wins Scottish Championship medal
Oct 93: Takes over as St Johnston manager
Sept 98: Returns to Dundee Utd as manager
Oct 2000: Takes over at Plymouth
May 2002: Div Three manager of the year after guiding Plymouth to title

Lowe will also have to thrash out a compensation package with Plymouth for Sturrock who has taken Plymouth to a four-point lead at the top of Division Two.

After a glittering playing career at Dundee United, Sturrock began his managerial career in August 1993 at St Johnstone.

He returned to Tannadice as manager in September 1998, and resigned two matches into the 2000-2001 season.

Plymouth were quick to snap him up, appointing him in October of that year.

He led Argyle to the Division Three title in the 2001-02 season.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Gutted for Argyle really. After all we know what this is like after the whole Coppell saga earlier in the season. Their fans have been very supportive of our cause recently and wish them all the best for the rest of the season.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Heil Sturrock!

_39915063_sturrock_getty270.jpg

Clop

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sturrock reminmded me of Chris Cattlin in his style of managership. And as I think that Chris Cattlin was the best manager the Albion have had, this is a compliment.

Still Chris Cattlin made mistakes, and Sturrock made a tactical boob in the first half at the Withdean. Or was outwitted by the more expereinced Mark McGhee.

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i think Steve Cotterill would do a good job there ..think he has learnt by his mistakes

Wotton is God

Jan 6, 2004
Sturrock's appointment at the Sinners will be formally confirmed by Rupert Lowelife & co in press conference at 2.30 this afternoon.

Assistant Manager Kevin Summerfield and Defensive Coach John Blackley taking over at Argyle until further notice. Too early to say when or if we'll be looking for anyone else, don't think the board will be wanting to risk rocking the boat anymore just yet - wait till summer maybe. Lack of past loyalty might rule Cotterill out, but then, what's loyalty anymore.

The feeling in the Argyle camp a little more upbeat now we have taken in the initial shock and picked ourselves up off the floor. General view our club is bigger than the one man. But then you boys have had plenty of practice at that view. Our Vice Chairman Peter Jones, who did so much of the media work yesterday, even came on pasoti (www.argyle.org.uk) this morning to explain the recent goings-on - which was a real nice touch.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Essentially very similar to the MA situation, Div 3 Champions, on course for Div 2 Championship when poached by a relatively insignificant Premiership club.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I feel sorry for Plymouth, after all we have been shat on like this many a time. It would be a crying shame if they failed to achieve promotion after this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thought he'd recently joined MA at Leicester?

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Cotterill is on the coaching staff at Leciester but I don't know if it a permanent contract so he could leave. I am shocked by Sturrock leaving and didn't think of him for the Saints job. We all know how the Plymouth fans are feeling the timing could be costly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here