Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stupid Student Question Alert: Sick Notes

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Right, so i've not taken a day off sick from work in my entire time there (I started in September) until Sunday.

I was throwing up and told the Shift manager i had Food Poisoning (turns out it wasn't but at the time i thought it was). Because I work at in a kitchen i've been told to get a doctors note.

I'm used to feeling a bit sick with occasional migraines and i've had food poisoning of sorts before i worked where I do now- i didn't see a doctor. Symptoms (throwing up, sweaty, fever, shivers) cleared up after a while and i'm fine now.

So what do I need to do? Surgery is closed now so i'll ring up tomorrow. Can i get a doctors note? I know you need one for any illness over 7 days and theres some sort of Self Certification for under but work said because I cook food, i need one before i even return to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted User X18H

You'll probably have to pay for a sick note.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Paying up is fine, that doesn't bother me. Because its under 7 days but they need it work said they'll pay when i produce it with cash out the safe.

I just phone up or phone up and get an appointment and it doesn't matter that they didn't see me?

D

Deleted User X18H

I have done some work in Travel Insurance recently it appears if you pay for a sick note the GP will fill out what you tell them!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Calling a stomach upset "food poisoning" was probably over-egging it somewhat (no pun intended), and is something that would have needed a doctors diagnosis I'd have thought. Should probably have just said you were feeling sick and had been throwing up, left it at that. Maybe tell your employers you thought it was food poisoning but just turned out to be a stomach bug ?

Unrelated but there's so much of that going round, I had it a few weeks back and felt horrendous. They say it's a 24 hour bug but I had to abandon my night out a few days later because every pint I had would within 2 minutes bypass my bladder and leak straight out of my cornhole.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Calling a stomach upset "food poisoning" was probably over-egging it somewhat (no pun intended), and is something that would have needed a doctors diagnosis I'd have thought. Should probably have just said you were feeling sick and had been throwing up, left it at that. Maybe tell your employers you thought it was food poisoning but just turned out to be a stomach bug ?

Yeah, at the time some of my friends cooked dinner - burger meat diced up and put in pasta sauce because we had no mince. I thought they cocked it up

A shift manager knows but because it was suspected and logged they need a doctors note now to say i'm fit to work.

I know, its a school boy error :down:

But i can just phoen up and pay up for the note, given the circumstance?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even if it wasn't food poisoning, the fact that you were being sick is a danger when you say you cook food. Your manager is more concerned that the doctor says that you are fit to work, rather than what you were off with. Gastro-enteritus (stomach-bug) is extremely infectious.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Even if it wasn't food poisoning, the fact that you were being sick is a danger when you say you cook food. Your manager is more concerned that the doctor says that you are fit to work, rather than what you were off with. Gastro-enteritus (stomach-bug) is extremely infectious.

That's what the shift manager i casually talked to on facebook said.

So i can just phoen up and explain that because i work with food they require a note for me to get back, and as long as i pay up i'm okay?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
See your GP , get him/her to fill out a fit note for you , pay the charge and get the money back from petty cash. This will earn you an extra star on your name badge.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's what the shift manager i casually talked to on facebook said.

So i can just phoen up and explain that because i work with food they require a note for me to get back, and as long as i pay up i'm okay?

That depends on how good your doctor is. Imagine if several customers get a 'bug' after you have served them when the doctor has passed you fit for work. Lawsuits would be flying.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
At least you didn't do what a student did in my old office - he rang up saying that he had a 24 hour bug and would not be in that day. He got very confused when I asked him how he knew it was only a 24 hour bug when he still had it. Bloody thicky student thicky.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
At least you didn't do what a student did in my old office - he rang up saying that he had a 24 hour bug and would not be in that day. He got very confused when I asked him how he knew it was only a 24 hour bug when he still had it. Bloody thicky student thicky.

Ultra smooth by your him there!

I used judgement and honestly thought it was food poisoning because of teh fact we ate that food but i was the only one to get ill.I made a call and got it wrong - i've been clear of symptoms since monday lunch time - last time i threw up was sunday night. Its usually 48 hours no symptoms to return to work for us.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
That depends on how good your doctor is. Imagine if several customers get a 'bug' after you have served them when the doctor has passed you fit for work. Lawsuits would be flying.

Obviously i'm not still throwing up now and trying to go back, i've got to let 48 hours pass but yeah, thats why i have to get a doctors note.

Plus i'd hate to think i'd made everyone who i served ill :down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously i'm not still throwing up now and trying to go back, i've got to let 48 hours pass but yeah, thats why i have to get a doctors note.

Plus i'd hate to think i'd made everyone who i served ill :down:
That's why I think the doc will want to see you, rather than signing a note from a phone call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here