Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stupid drivers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And you're still not meant to make any signal if going 'straight over' when going onto the roundabout either...

He was indicating right so I expected him to turn right and head towards Princess Royal Hospital Imagine if I had been either older and less mobile or handicapped.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To the OP,advice from a professional driver,never rely on a signal and walk a bit faster next time :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've just looked at the Google map of this....

He left Sussex Road and indicated right, he passed South Road in the right hand lane then indicated left to go up Hazelgrove Road which was his second exit.

Can anyone other than BG explain what the driver may have done wrong according to the Highway code?

2016-08-29.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He was indicating right so I expected him to turn right and head towards Princess Royal Hospital Imagine if I had been either older and less mobile or handicapped.

Yes BG, well aware of your initial point, threads are allowed to evolve onto other aspects of roundabout driving and you've pretty much admitted you don't know the rules by your post earlier where you said something irrelevant (before or pulling into the roundabout you don't signal if going straight over!)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

He left Sussex Road and indicated right, he passed South Road in the right hand lane then indicated left to go up Hazelgrove Road which was his second exit.

Can anyone other than BG explain what the driver may have done wrong according to the Highway code?
Signalling right in the first place.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

View attachment 77533

By signalling right on the approach would suggest he was taking the third or fourth exit. Sussex Road and Hazelgrove Road are both the B2112 which probably meant he shouldn't have made any signal on approach to the roundabout though he could have approached it in the right hand lane. Obviously, once on the roundabout he made the correct left signal after passing the South Road exit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Stand corrected!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
By signalling right on the approach would suggest he was taking the third or fourth exit. Sussex Road and Hazelgrove Road are both the B2112 which probably meant he shouldn't have made any signal on approach to the roundabout though he could have approached it in the right hand lane. Obviously, once on the roundabout he made the correct left signal after passing the South Road exit.

You're not meant to signal right if going past 12 o'clock unless you're taking the last right turning?

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Shirley there is cctv of this incident :moo:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone know the Bo-ship roundabout? There's an age-old argument on them at one if coming from Hailsham/Ebo direction and going straight in towards Horam..(straight over). The turning is slightly past 12 o'clock so most would go right hand lane if applying the Highway Code (I think). But remember my driving instructor saying for that one it can be an exception to the rule and you can go left hand lane. Always people cutting eachother up as a result. I tend to now go right hand lane despite what I was taught by instructor as its marked past 12 o'clock on the sign... Tricky local one that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I nearly got knocked over earlier, some. may wish it happened. a car going south to north on Sussex Rd Haywards Heath approached the roundabout with South Rd clearly indicating a right signal, going towards Princess Royal Hospital and then as I was crossing the road suddenly signalled left to go up Hazelgrove Rd.

How do you know he was signalling to go towards the Princess Royal? He could have been heading to Caxton Way....

Anyway...if he entered that roundabout from Sussex Road, signalling left, as you seem to suggest (wrongly, in my opinion) that he should have done, I'd have expected him to go into South Road, the first exit. If he signalled left before that, i.e. entering the roundabout as you suggest he should have done, then somebody might have pulled out from South Road into his path, expecting him to turn off. He obviously felt he should make it clear to the traffic trying to enter the roundabout from South Road that he was going past that exit, thus ensuring vehicles on that road, and anybody inside him on the roundabout, didn't come into contact with him.

Given the layout of the roundabout, and his path as you've described it, I don't think he's done a lot wrong, other than perhaps he could possibly have been more aware of your intent to cross the road as a pedestrian. The only thing I might question- and it's a fairly debatable point- is whether he needed to signal at all when entering that roundabout. I certainly don't think he should have indicated left, as you suggest. Me, I'd probably not signal at all on entering the roundabout, then indicate left after I'd passed the South Road exit. But a right indicator is hardly the worst thing in the world.

Rule 186

Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise <<<<<<<<<*****THIS IS HIM, BG*****

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You're not meant to signal right if going past 12 o'clock unless you're taking the last right turning?

You can signal right if taking the third or fourth exit:

To Turn Left ( taking the first exit)
signal left and approach in the left-hand lane*
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.*
Use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring no one is on the left when you exit.

To go straight on ( taking the second exit)
select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout. If no marking on the road it is usually safest to keep to the left lane.*
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout.*
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.*
Make good use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring there is no one who will be inconvenienced by you turning off.*

To Turn Right ( taking the last exit or third exit )
signal right and approach in the right-hand lane*
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout*
Make good use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring there is no one who will be inconvenienced by you turning off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone know the Bo-ship roundabout? There's an age-old argument on them at one if coming from Hailsham/Ebo direction and going straight in towards Horam..(straight over). The turning is slightly past 12 o'clock so most would go right hand lane if applying the Highway Code (I think). But remember my driving instructor saying for that one it can be an exception to the rule and you can go left hand lane. Always people cutting eachother up as a result. I tend to now go right hand lane despite what I was taught by instructor as its marked past 12 o'clock on the sign... Tricky local one that.

I drive that one a lot and I think I'd always get in the right hand lane to take the Horam exit (from the A22 northbound). As you say, people in the left hand lane there have a funny habit of going where you least expect them to.

The trick to this business, as we all should know, is to expect the unexpected. Always anticipate that somebody else will do something you weren't expecting, be they a driver, a cyclist or a pedestrian, and you'll be a lot better off. We're humans, (including you, BG). We make errors from time to time. You're still in one piece...I say be grateful and move on :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You can signal right if taking the third or fourth exit:

To Turn Left ( taking the first exit)
signal left and approach in the left-hand lane*
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.*
Use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring no one is on the left when you exit.

To go straight on ( taking the second exit)
select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout. If no marking on the road it is usually safest to keep to the left lane.*
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout.*
Make good use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring there is no one who will be inconvenienced by you turning off.*

To Turn Right ( taking the last exit or third exit )
signal right and approach in the right-hand lane*
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout*
Make good use of your nearside (passenger) door mirror ensuring there is no one who will be inconvenienced by you turning off.

Ah yes - thank you. I did know all that but had a bit of memory blank looking at that map. BG must have seen which road the car came from in this case which would have taken some tracking. If he'd have come from the next turning or 2 up (Caxton or Franklynn) he'd have been correctly signalling right...?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I drive that one a lot and I think I'd always get in the right hand lane to take the Horam exit (from the A22 northbound). As you say, people in the left hand lane there have a funny habit of going where you least expect them to.

The trick to this business, as we all should know, is to expect the unexpected. Always anticipate that somebody else will do something you weren't expecting, be they a driver, a cyclist or a pedestrian, and you'll be a lot better off. We're humans, (including you, BG). We make errors from time to time. You're still in one piece...I say be grateful and move on :thumbsup:

I may have had it wrong way round but either way I always use right now. Got honked by someone in the left there the other day like I was cutting them up - and I certainly was being aware of them. Thought at the time it was prob them in the wrong. There was a big old Facebook debate apparently about this one. I think a lot of it depended on who (locally) taught you to drive and also when abouts you'd passed as teaching seems to move on with different methods / rules as such.

Ps - sorry just read original post again and iPhone correct has made it horrific!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here