Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stuff mag cover the Digital Stadium app

WiggoWiggo

Aug 30, 2013
London
You need to make sure your phone is set to allow downloads from unknown sources. Probably just worth waiting until the official release now though. It's due before the Bolton game.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
My brother was using it in the E Upper. I have no idea what it's for, I just nodded politely and agreed how wonderful it is and went back to watching the football.

You took the moral high ground. You are truly wonderful.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
You took the moral high ground. You are truly wonderful.

No moral high ground here. I just don't understand this sort of stuff. I.T. didn't exist when I was a school. My brother is simply more intelligent than me and knows how computer programmes work. I have a smart phone but no apps on it.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Just downloaded the app and installed it. Looks good. I have requested a location by device function to the future developements. i,e, if I put my brother-in-laws contact information in the prefs if will show me the whereabouts of his phone. (superimpossed over a map of the stadium) As we are in different parts of the ESU it will be good for meeting up after the game for the park and ride. Also, I will be able to see if he is having a sneaky pint, post match. :thumbsup:

If you think that functionality would be useful to you then why not let the developement team know. (the more people that request it, the quicker it gets done)
Also, just had a thought, it would be helpful if the phone went missing???

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Presumably you need unlimited data on your contract/phone otherwise 27,000 people will soon eat into it and start running up a bill!

Disclaimer: I realise that 27,000 people won't be using it, I also realise that there will be hundreds of internet feeds, dependant on how many are using this app.

Wiggo, out of interest how has this worked out in your test phase?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Presumably you need unlimited data on your contract/phone otherwise 27,000 people will soon eat into it and start running up a bill!

Disclaimer: I realise that 27,000 people won't be using it, I also realise that there will be hundreds of internet feeds, dependant on how many are using this app.

Wiggo, out of interest how has this worked out in your test phase?
The app keeps the upload/downloads to a minimum level per game e.g. 50mb.

WiggoWiggo

Aug 30, 2013
London
The app keeps the upload/downloads to a minimum level per game e.g. 50mb.

Yeah, you can set that level yourself. It also downloads very little data with each request (it's mostly text based after all) and only if you're the one lucky enough to have the connection. Sharing that is then done over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi Direct, which has nothing to do with your data allowance.

Birdie Boy, I only used it at the Burnley game with about 80 other iOS users dotted around the stand so it's hard to say. I'm WSU so signal during the game isn't too bad anyway, it's only at half- and full-time that things jam up. It seemed to work though. I think I had to refresh the Twitter page once or twice before it would update but trying to check it via my normal app didn't work at all.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Just downloaded it and looks quite impressive, will wait to the nezt home game before i use it in situ, hopefully be very useful as i struggle to get any inernet connectivity at all! I sit ESU.

DigitalStadium

Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, you can set that level yourself. It also downloads very little data with each request (it's mostly text based after all) and only if you're the one lucky enough to have the connection. Sharing that is then done over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi Direct, which has nothing to do with your data allowance.

Birdie Boy, I only used it at the Burnley game with about 80 other iOS users dotted around the stand so it's hard to say. I'm WSU so signal during the game isn't too bad anyway, it's only at half- and full-time that things jam up. It seemed to work though. I think I had to refresh the Twitter page once or twice before it would update but trying to check it via my normal app didn't work at all.

Tom, nice to hear from you again. A couple of things - the android app won't be available on the Play store for Brighton for quite a while. We have an agreement with Brighton to carry on experimenting with services, so we want to keep complete control over the versions of the app available - and we do have some very exciting services lined up - and the lead time to getting new versions on Play isn't workable for us. It will be available on an easily locatable URL that the club will be circulating before the match, and may even have permanently on their web-site. You will need to allow non-authorised apps to be installed, but we have ironed out the battery issues.
The iOS version will be improved over the next couple of months, and we hope to submit to the Apple store in December.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here