Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Studying the dynamics of away fans. Very quick question. No piss take.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Average of 10 away whilst at withdean
1 away, first year at Amex
12 away last season when I realised Amex experience wasn't what I loved about attending football matches.
This year not sure yet. Missed Leeds.
Have canceled my season ticket and probably only go away and to local side at Peacehaven now.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Age 28 did 1 away game last season and one the season before that. Before then did aprox 50% away games but after buying house / getting married / pregnant wife, away games needed to be reduced!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
55 (years old)

Used to do 10-15. More recently 2 or 3. The Amex is very nice - no longer hankering after the real deal . . .

Pretty much this. In my younger days (late teens/early 20's) I did every game home & away but family & hard times came along, as well as Albion's massive decline in the 80's.

Started going away again more often, but more local, as my lads grew up and could come along with me and we went to quite a few away games during the Withdean years. back then, it was the only chance of being at a 'proper' football ground and the team seemed to enjoy it too.

Now we are at The Amex, i no longer yearn to travel and did none away last year.

Loads of guys I've travelled with over the years are still going and those who travel away hopefully look up to and respect those guys, despite their often disgraceful drunken behaviour!

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
50 yo - 18 away games last season. Will be around the same again this season.

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
50 and do usually between 8 - 12 away games a season and always try to do a couple of new grounds each season. I also follow Crawley Town as I live there and went to 3 of their away games last season as well. Last season I went to Preston, Millwall, Derby, Blackpool, Wolverhampton, Palace (twice), Charlton, Portsmouth, Bolton, Yeovil, Middlesborough and Peterborough.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks to all those who have responded.

Initial results on a universe of 48.

Average age of away fans 44.
Eldest 72. (You qualify for legend status)
Youngest 16. (only 56 years to acquire legend status so keep believing)

Average away games in a season 8.
Gold medal award to 22 in a season fan.

Initial conclusions.

BHA has two demographic groupings of away fans. Those over 40 and above and those between 16 and 25. The higher incidence is the former which implies there is a core of long term fans. This is healthy but expected, as it reflects the importance of supporting a football club before computers kicked in, when the options for entertainment where limited. The latter is also expected due to the relative success of the team itself. The demographic gap in support, those between 25 and 40 is supported and reflected by the clubs situation in the barren years before we found a home again.

So no major shocks or surprises but if the older demographic can persuade the younger fans just how important (and damn good fun) supporting a team as an away fan can be. The future should be fine. But we do need to promote that thought and maybe the club could in some way help. Financially it is so expensive nowadays to travel and some ticket prices beggar belief. Could we have a travel option on the website where we could block buy certain train journeys and receive a discount, if enough people buy in advance. Or maybe just show the last away game on the screen at the Amex, from a fans perspective, so our massive home support might think, hey that looks like something I want to do.

Nothing beats an early start, the look of dread on people opposite as you open that first can as you pull out of the station and the song that sits in your mind that makes you smile and proud.

Brighton Hove Albion away away away, away away away, away away away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here