Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Student Research on the Social power of football fans

jonashorton

Mar 17, 2023
Hi all,

I am currently conducting research for my dissertation and would really appreciate any responses to my short survey. It only takes 5 minutes to complete and your input would be invaluable in helping me achieve a good mark.
If you are an actively engaged member of a supporters group/trust and are willing to participate in a short 30-minute online interview about the topic, I would love to hear from you. Your insights will help me gain a deeper understanding of the issues at hand.

Please feel free to contact me at jh1257@exeter.ac.uk if you are interested in participating in the interview.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Your participation is greatly appreciated!

Here's the survey link: Microsoft Forms

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You're obviously doing a mixed methods dissertation but it's not clear whether the survey is for everyone or just people who are part of supporters clubs. And to be really picky, how are you defining a supporters club? I see NSC as a supporters club? Sorry I may have had a couple of beers! :lolol:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
You're obviously doing a mixed methods dissertation but it's not clear whether the survey is for everyone or just people who are part of supporters clubs. And to be really picky, how are you defining a supporters club? I see NSC as a supporters club? Sorry I may have had a couple of beers! :lolol:
I do love it whenever these dissertation survey threads come up and all the armchair university lecturers offer their free critique to the student. :lolol:

Utter NSC.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I do love it whenever these dissertation survey threads come up and all the armchair university lecturers offer their free critique to the student. :lolol:

Utter NSC.
No not an armchair Uni lecturer, just someone who is also doing a dissertation. (y)

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Utter NSC.
To be honest we have no shortage of academically inclined fans.

I’m up in Manchester working on my PhD, and at least three research staff in my department are Brighton fans, including the department head. God knows why they congregated in Manc.

Then we have various DULLARDS, who are well known academics and I’m sure I’ve seen several posters discuss working as lecturers, researchers and other positions in universities

Basically, it’s probably not a bad place to get quizzed on your dissertation methodology

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
After reading your post (whilst sober) it is clearer that I didn't need to be a member of a supporters club to complete the survey, so I've completed it. I wasn't questioning your methodology just whether I needed to be a member of a supporters club to complete the survey.
It's an interesting topic, good luck. :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a typo in one question:

"In your opinion, does your football clubs reflect the diversity of its fan communities?"

The one about experiencing racism....I answered yes but this was in the 1970s when Brighton supporters 'monkey chanted' Vince Hillaire. The question should have been time bookended.

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
There is a typo in one question:

"In your opinion, does your football clubs reflect the diversity of its fan communities?"

The one about experiencing racism....I answered yes but this was in the 1970s when Brighton supporters 'monkey chanted' Vince Hillaire. The question should have been time bookended.
Snap...not the same incident but the same time period and the same thought about being time specific.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. For the sake of transparency and in relation to some earlier posts, that's Dr Louis MacNeice ex-university lecturer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Snap...not the same incident but the same time period and the same thought about being time specific.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. For the sake of transparency and in relation to some earlier posts, that's Dr Louis MacNeice ex-university lecturer.
Have you retired? I'd would like to but commitments, commitments... (I got a new grant last year and have a stake in a new drug with a patent and....<sigh>)

Dr Harry Wilson's Tackle :thumbsup:

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Have you retired? I'd would like to but commitments, commitments... (I got a new grant last year and have a stake in a new drug with a patent and....<sigh>)

Dr Harry Wilson's Tackle :thumbsup:
Not retired, but after the best part of three decades doing it I knew I really needed a change...so I became a postman and I have absolutely loved it.

Big cut on pay but fortunately my mortgage is paid off, I am drawing my lecture's pension and not got long to go before I get my bus pass.

Cheers Louis MacNeice

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not retired, but after the best part of three decades doing it I knew I really needed a change...so I became a postman and I have absolutely loved it.

Big cut on pay but fortunately my mortgage is paid off, I am drawing my lecture's pension and not got long to go before I get my bus pass.

Cheers Louis MacNeice
Genius. My little bro' walked off his job (with BT) ten years ago, in a fit of pique, and then emulated our grand dad on mum's side and became... a gardener!. He absolutely loves it.

I get my bus pass in May. With my Asperger's-related disciplinary issues, I can't believe the buggers haven't chucked me out years ago. But, to be fair, I am Top Quality :lolol:

Maxing up my AVCs when others were taking wanky holidays was a stroke of genius. Pity I have to flop out my lump sum to get my boy on the property ladder (soon) but needs must. It has been a journey, and I should probably write a book about it.

But I can't be arsed :cool:

:thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My advice to any student would be the same….. drink and take more drugs,

Does this advice extend to a washed up 40 year old? Asking for a friend

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
To be honest we have no shortage of academically inclined fans.

I’m up in Manchester working on my PhD, and at least three research staff in my department are Brighton fans, including the department head. God knows why they congregated in Manc.

Then we have various DULLARDS, who are well known academics and I’m sure I’ve seen several posters discuss working as lecturers, researchers and other positions in universities

Basically, it’s probably not a bad place to get quizzed on your dissertation methodology
It was good enough for Tony Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here