Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Struggling for Goals...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think we have been struggling for goals at all, and we've largely been there or thereabouts with the other challengers in terms of what we score for a while now.

Where I think we have been struggling is to make possession, dominance and chances truly count.

If we did have a more prolific strike force, and I do mean Baldock and Hemed primarily here, I think we would be nearer 50 points than 40 right now and we wouldn't be getting all this "Brighton are grinding out results" shit from opposing fans who've not really seen us play.
Spot on...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=23&season=2015&category=OVERALL&team=1

We are top of the yellow card table at the moment with 41, I didn't actually think we were that bad a side when it came to fouling.

I don't think we are dirty but I think we have a higher card to foul ratio than most. I'll try to find the stats somewhere.

For example, we get a card for every 5 fouls committed. Burnley have to make almost twice as many, almost 9.95 before a card is issued.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=Leagues

We pick up most of our foul count in the second half when we are in our "defend a one goal lead" mode.
Other sides have a more even spread of fouls through the game while all suffer from referees' "second half syndrome" when bookings result from fouls that are deemed acceptable in the first 45 minutes.

If we scored more goals in line with our approach play and opened up a decent lead we would have less need to defend deep in the latter stages when yellow cards are like confetti. The two are intrinsically linked.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Better than having one great multi million pound goalscorer who gets injured for the rest of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here