Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Structural Engineer Advice

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Need to knock an internal supporting wall down, to keep Mrs Burger happy. Apparently I need to get one of these Sctructural guys in to do drawings and meaurements first. Been quoted £450. Any Albion fans in the business know any more economical people to do the job ?.

Thought it was worth a shout. Cheers

Need to knock an internal supporting wall down, to keep Mrs Burger happy. Apparently I need to get one of these Sctructural guys in to do drawings and meaurements first. Been quoted £450. Any Albion fans in the business know any more economical people to do the job ?.

Don't be a wimp just knock the wall out! a drawing won't help:rolleyes:
But if you insist i'll pop round a draw a picture of your house for £200???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I should have known better than to ask a sensible question on NSC. Still you are keeping me entertained, so keep up the good work.

Hopefully NSC will come up trumps - as usual! Come on all you Structural Engineers out there... help this man out!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
UB 127x76x13, 152x89x16 if its quite a long span or theres a lot of weight on it. This will cover 98% of domestic applications and I claim my £20.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
UB 127x76x13, 152x89x16 if its quite a long span or theres a lot of weight on it. This will cover 98% of domestic applications and I claim my £20.
While undoubtedly correct, you need to have a bit of paper that says you are qualified to write some sums on another bit of paper. You also need a further bit of paper that says that if either of the previous bits of paper are wrong they will indemnify you. With these three bits of paper you can get someone to give you 450 bits of paper with the queen on them.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Try giving these guys a call, they do any work I need structural calcs for, reasonably priced whenever i've used them, certainly not £450.

http://www.structual-engineers.uk.net
HT Partnership, based at Ringmer

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
While undoubtedly correct, you need to have a bit of paper that says you are qualified to write some sums on another bit of paper. You also need a further bit of paper that says that if either of the previous bits of paper are wrong they will indemnify you. With these three bits of paper you can get someone to give you 450 bits of paper with the queen on them.

Class.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

A very good friend of mine used to own a successful company doing alteration works in peoples houses. He was mortgage free, lovely house in West Sussex, overlooking the river, 4 kids, grand children, life was pretty sweet. He did something just like that (assumed the 98% rule) and the chimney stack collapsed into a house he had worked on. He was sued, he lost everything, including his house, all his pensions, the lot. He's in his late 50s, now rents a house, can't get a bank account, or a mortgage, and drives a taxi for a living. All for the sake of not getting a structural report done for building regs.

It really isn't worth the builders while to risk it.

A very good friend of mine used to own a successful company doing alteration works in peoples houses. He was mortgage free, lovely house in West Sussex, overlooking the river, 4 kids, grand children, life was pretty sweet. He did something just like that (assumed the 98% rule) and the chimney stack collapsed into a house he had worked on. He was sued, he lost everything, including his house, all his pensions, the lot. He's in his late 50s, now rents a house, can't get a bank account, or a mortgage, and drives a taxi for a living. All for the sake of not getting a structural report done for building regs.

It really isn't worth the builders while to risk it.
well thats another in the 2% bracket odds looking better for the 98% knock it through now:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here