Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stronger or weaker than the squad that finished last season?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Barely stronger in my view - good to have two proper full backs although I know nothing about Bong, and with only 1 addition in midfield/forward line in Hemed (who is unproven in England) my concerns are still very much about where the goals will come from.

At the present moment although I'd love to think we could make mid-table, honestly as it stands I suspect we will be battling it out again at the bottom with Rotherham, Reading, Huddersfield, and possibly Brentford (who I think will struggle having lost a good manager and several of their key players).

I'd take survival again this season, unless 3 or 4 more quality additions arrive very soon. Just saying it how I see it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think most are forgetting the young Finn and the young Scots/Spanish lad both old enough and one at least looks good enough
more youngsters banging the door.
we do need an experienced CB and a decent winger, the winger might be on his way here and CB maybe a loan but then again we have a decent youngster in Rea
two more decent signings and we might be there
:rock::albion2::whisky:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
There is too much hype and concentration on previous performance. Results are obtained on the pitch and players can have good and bad seasons. I think we have a reasonably solid look about us but need a couple of quality forward player signings, which we will get on loan and which will make us a competitive unit. I am hopeful of mid table and with our share of luck a push towards the top 6.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stronger and much better managed. OK the end of last season was dreadful but that was because the job of staying up had been done. I reckon mid table this season, pushing harder next season with players coming through from the development squad (so maybe no marquee signings).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm only here for the beer, if we win a game its just a little bonus

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I'm confident that Hemed and Rosenior will do well for us, but our lack of width is just ridiculous.

If I was Hughton, I'd have been experimenting with a formation like this in pre-season, just in case:

----------------------------Stockdale----------------------------------
---Rosenior---------Greer----------Dunk----------Bong----------
--------------------------------Ince--------------------------------------
--------------Kayal-------Stephens-----Holla/Crofts--------------
---------------------Hemed---------Baldcock-----------------------

I agree and to me that looks stronger than last year , with key players like Kayal now into their first full season with us.

Prediction 8th

TNBA

TTF

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Higher or Lower?

SNN0103FL-380_4__836073a.jpg

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm confident that Hemed and Rosenior will do well for us, but our lack of width is just ridiculous.

If I was Hughton, I'd have been experimenting with a formation like this in pre-season, just in case:

Yes we need a decent CB and a Winger or 2 but at the moment, if we didn't get a winger the width would come from Lua Lua, March and Baldock.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're a taller team this season in a league where being robust is a requirement, we'll also be more astutely managed right from the off. I believe we'll be more tactically aware, awkward to score against and dour. If you enjoy binary we're the team for you!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

No width in that squad whatsoever. If you're thinking that the fullbacks would provide the width we would still get slaughtered on the counter just like we did under Sami with only two centre backs. If you want to play with wing backs you need three centre backs. Two just leaves us way too exposed even with Ince playing the holding role in midfield.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last season we started out with a few new players many of us had never heard of; OK, Baldock we were quite excited about, and we'd chased him quite hard and got him. This season we're again starting with some new players, which again many of us had never heard of before we signed them. So, not much to go on really, jury's out perhaps - but instinctively I feel a bit more positive because at least we've got managerial stability this time round, a decent manager who appears to be being given a chance to build a team..

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Last season we started out with a few new players many of us had never heard of; OK, Baldock we were quite excited about, and we'd chased him quite hard and got him. This season we're again starting with some new players, which again many of us had never heard of before we signed them. So, not much to go on really, jury's out perhaps - but instinctively I feel a bit more positive because at least we've got managerial stability this time round, a decent manager who appears to be being given a chance to build a team..

All of this would be fair enough if it wasn't for the fact Hughton is a dour wasteman that will be binned off by Christmas when we still have single didgets in the goals scored column.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Weaker as it stands, but bring in 4 more including Murphy and a right winger, and ( if the quality is good enough... ) we'll clearly be stronger.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Stronger. 100%

Rosenoir, Bong, Hemed are improvements on Bennett, Hughes and CMS

Throw into the equation March, Crofts, Baldock and Stephens all being fit then we are certainly in better shape.

The league isn't won or lost in August and I would expect another 3 or 4 additions before the transfer window closes.

I'm quietly optimistic we are going to have a much better season with play offs more likely than a relegation scrap.

Entirely agree. We may yet be pleasantly surprised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here