Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strikers identified

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Taken from todays Argus:

ALBION have identified two strikers in their quest to unearth a scorer during the January transfer window.

Manager Mark McGhee hopes at least one of the un-named targets will provide the goals which have been missing all season.

The problem was highlighted again in Saturday's 1-0 exit from the FA Cup at home to Coventry, when French winger Seb Carole was switched up front.

McGhee and his backroom staff have been scouring the continent in places like Poland, France and Ireland. One of the front men they want plays abroad, the other is home-based.

Let the speculation begin!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well £20k for Henderson, rising to £35k if we survive the drop.

Chelsea are only expected to take £37.5k from the £125k for Leon Knight.

Looks like we will have to buy in the lower leagues..... :down:

I think the McVeigh story won't happen!

Perhaps Dick has managed to get some funds.....Grant Holt???

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Apparently we are asking Chelski to "overlook" the arrangement for Leon and not give them the cash. Don't know how realistic this is!

We don't need top class, world rated strikers on huge wages, we need a journeyman who can score on a fairly regular basis at our level. We don't want old players, because they end up crocked and costing us money for no return. Pay as you play is a far better option if you want older players. We seem to have no problems with supply to the strikers, we just have a bout of goal-blindness at the moment. Why not look into League 1 or 2, or even lower, for a striker. We are not going to get the next England forward, but if we get someone who can average a goal every 3 or 4 games, it would be enough to turn our draws/losses into wins/draws.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
He must have found a serious wedge behind the sofa if it's Grant Holt we're buying. Swansea were quoted 400k for him, hence why they bought Leon.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Well i'm going to state that the domestic target is Callum Willock from Peterborough United. Saw a rumour about him coming here on trial last week. Add that to the fact that Barry Fry has put the entire Posh squad up for sale and I think he's a realistic target.

As for the foreign signing, here's hoping he's from a French club using the same contacts we used to get Carole and Frutos. He may just be a success. If he comes from Poland on the recommendation of Boniek we're in trouble.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Boniek was the man who recommended Federico Turienzo to us, claiming he was "better than Gresgorz Rasiak".

Oh dear.

And to think that the man was one of the finest players to come out of Eastern Europe.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There is obviously something about Turienzo, to make us sign him, and I thought El Turi showed some promising touches at Luton, plus he has banged in some goals for the reserves. Time will tell, if he can make it in England. Some people are not suited to English football.

We will have to wait on this one. Juries out.

Find us a gem Boniek!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
With the Leon sell on clause I think it would be a decent idea for Dick to approach Chelsea and suggest that instead of giving them the money we take a couple of their players on loan and pay all of their wages, putting some of the Leon money towards it. If we got say Joe Keenan and Anthony Grant they would be fairly cheap in the wages department and play in two vital areas, LB and CM.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They would be great, and both fairly young capable players, but I think our main priority has to be a striker. We are bound to let in goals, as we are not a top end table team. The game on saturday and possibly most games this season highlighted the reason why we are not picking up enough points. Goals.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BarrelofFun said:
They would be great, and both fairly young capable players, but I think our main priority has to be a striker. We are bound to let in goals, as we are not a top end table team. The game on saturday and possibly most games this season highlighted the reason why we are not picking up enough points. Goals.

I personally think the priority is a LB, we do need a stiker but we also need to stop leaking goals first. Also I think with trolley playing up front with either CKR or Jake consistently (none of this chopping and changing shite) the goals were start to come more regularly.

It would be nice (if this deal was possible) to get a striker on loan but as far as I know Chelsea's young strikers are small and quick and we need a target man. I think we should try to make the deal I suggested and also try to get in a target man/goalscorer from the lower leagues or on loan.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I just have no confidence in Mcghee's ability to find a decent striker. I hope I'm proved wrong.

I think he's brought in some good players in other positions:

Henderson (hopefully)
McShane
Carole
Fruitos etc.

But i don't think he's ever brought in a decent striker (with the possible exception of CKR)...

Kazim-Richards - one for the future maybe. Could still prove to be a decent signing

Turienzo - to pay a six-figure sum for an unproven striker is incredible for a club in our finanical situation

McCammon - it upsets me too much to even talk about it...

Iwelumo - not great but not horrific. How Mcghee could say he wasn't up to Championship standard - and then bring in McCammon is beyond me...

I am definitely in the 'Mcghee In' camp but his choice of strikers to date seriously worries me...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bearing in mind that Strikers tend to be a lot more expensive than other positions.........we just don't have the financial clout yet and couldn't offer journeymen the wages due to uncertainty of Falmer. I don't think it is anything to do with not being able to pick a good striker

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I really don't get the Trolley bashing, sure he ain't the best but at least he brings some much needed physical presence up front (something that is sorely missing from Jakey and CKR).

With regards to El Turi I personally wouldn't have signed him on a couple of videos and his display at Lewes but in our position sometimes you have to take a punt on a player. Who had heard of Frutos before he came. And I don't expect many people had heard of Carole and McShane before they arrived but they turned out ok.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Les Biehn said:
I really don't get the Trolley bashing, sure he ain't the best but at least he brings some much needed physical presence up front (something that is sorely missing from Jakey and CKR).

With regards to El Turi I personally wouldn't have signed him on a couple of videos and his display at Lewes but in our position sometimes you have to take a punt on a player. Who had heard of Frutos before he came. And I don't expect many people had heard of Carole and McShane before they arrived but they turned out ok.

True - but we didn't splash out a six-figure sum on either Carole or Mcshane...

As for the Trolley bashing - given his physical presence, it would be great to see him win a header or two...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bald Gull said:
True - but we didn't splash out a six-figure sum on either Carole or Mcshane...

As for the Trolley bashing - given his physical presence, it would be great to see him win a header or two...

On the first part you have apoint but realistically 150k in football terms is not that much.

On the second point, at least give him a chance. He's never really had an extended run in the team and needs time to settle. With headers and the like a lot of it is to do with timing (just look at Butts, he hardly jumps but wins it nearly everytime) and perhaps he needs to get some match shapness back.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
Well we are due an installment from Harding. £50k for 20 games, £225k from the transfer, plus Leon fee......

According to Bates' programme notes the £50k was paid way back in December. The £225k is due in early Februray.

You can have Ian Moore instead of payment if you want a striker. I'll drive him down myself.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Starry said:
According to Bates' programme notes the £50k was paid way back in December. The £225k is due in early Februray.

You can have Ian Moore instead of payment if you want a striker. I'll drive him down myself.

Sounds tempting :lolol:
What on earth would you talk about for 5 or more hours, sat next to each other???

Why didn't we get told we had been paid the sum. We can spend some of the £225k surely, knowing that it will be coming. Interest free loan from Derek Chapman or another Director...

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
Sounds tempting :lolol:
What on earth would you talk about for 5 or more hours, sat next to each other???

:lolol:

I am sure I'd think of something, the weather perhaps!

And yeah knowing that it's coming you'd think you could loan/borrow for like two weeks.

It's actually due 6th February I think.

Bates makes a point of hashing out some of our financial stuff in the programme, he went public over Lennons contract as well. Not sure we need to know it all but hey ho.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here