Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Striker

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barber's Harty interview would certainly suggest he is going to stump up.

I hope so. I'm loathe to criticise Bloom in any way, but I would say that - ever since we got burnt by CMS - we've been reticent to really put the boat out striker wise.

A decent striker costs far more than decent players in other positions - with good reason. We're probably looking at £25-30m+ to get a striker who is of comparative quality to the rest of our side. Ever since CMS, we've tried to do it on the cheap and it has very nearly cost us badly. Murray saved our bacon for as long as he could.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fact is I don't even think they need to be that good an all round player! Just need to know where the back of the net is and be able to finish first time or take one touch to set themselves quickly.

Maupay would be great if he always had time to take 2 touches. Just seems to need to much time that he got in the Championship but doesn't get in the Prem.

I'm not well enough versed in the continental top leagues but there has to be a player out there that we fancy for this.

100%. All we need is a lower-Prem level Fran Sandaza. We have more than enough of the other required attributes in midfield/attack. Just need a finisher.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is the problem that Maupay cannot play clinically enough to Potters style, or Potter game set up cannot work for Maupays style...?

One thing for sure, is that the two of them together don't work.

One of them has to be replaced. I'm not clever enough on football tactics to work out which, is the one to go.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
100%. All we need is a lower-Prem level Fran Sandaza. We have more than enough of the other required attributes in midfield/attack. Just need a finisher.

We've done an incredible job of signing players of real quality through the rest of the squad. We have full internationals like Propper who don't get a look in.

Fancy there will be quite a significant clear out this summer with quite a few moving on. Would be happy for this to happen if we brought in 1 or 2 of real quality.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is the problem that Maupay cannot play clinically enough to Potters style, or Potter game set up cannot work for Maupays style...?

One thing for sure, is that the two of them together don't work.

One of them has to be replaced. I'm not clever enough on football tactics to work out which, is the one to go.

I don’t dislike Maupay but in my opinion he is clearly not good enough to take us to the top ten. I think I know where the change comes between him and our footballing style if that is as clear cut as Potter thinks. I doubt it is though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I hope so. I'm loathe to criticise Bloom in any way, but I would say that - ever since we got burnt by CMS - we've been reticent to really put the boat out striker wise.

A decent striker costs far more than decent players in other positions - with good reason. We're probably looking at £25-30m+ to get a striker who is of comparative quality to the rest of our side. Ever since CMS, we've tried to do it on the cheap and it has very nearly cost us badly. Murray saved our bacon for as long as he could.

I just don’t think recruitment is as easy as upping the budget. Not when it comes down to one player anyway. If we had a top 10 squad budget I’m sure we could finish top 10 but simply pushing the boat out on a striker will not necessarily achieve the same result. Even the top 6 sign expensive duds but it doesn’t matter as they simply spend again. If we draw a blank after paying 30-40 million I’m sure NSC would be urging the club to try again but it’s the owner who takes the hit. I’m a firm believer in gradual squad development and if it works then the funds for striker recruitment will be self generating and the entire squad will be on a different level (wage and fee wise) rather than just one player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just don’t think recruitment is as easy as upping the budget. Not when it comes down to one player anyway. If we had a top 10 squad budget I’m sure we could finish top 10 but simply pushing the boat out on a striker will not necessarily achieve the same result. Even the top 6 sign expensive duds but it doesn’t matter as they simply spend again. If we draw a blank after paying 30-40 million I’m sure NSC would be urging the club to try again but it’s the owner who takes the hit. I’m a firm believer in gradual squad development and if it works the funds for striker recruitment will be self generating and the entire squad will be on a different level (wage and fee wise) rather than just one player.

My point is that our entire squad is on another level to our striking options. Our keeper, defence and midfield are all fantastic - Top 10-12 quality. Our striking options are some way below. IMO.

I know it's not as simple as throwing cash at the problem, and I (generally) trust our club to make the right choices. I'm simply saying that we've been willing to spend to a decent level (£5m-£15m) in other positions, but never upfront, where a comparative quality player costs a lot, lot more.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You wonder where that Maupay who smashed home that glorious last minute goal against the Ars. has gone? Is it coaching, over coaching, lack of confidence - if so why?

I really thought he would push on this season seeing he ended last years so well.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Have you seen the top scorers in the league and look at how much they cost and wages - from interweb - what we need is goal scoring midfielders (like Perrera at wba or Barnes at Leicester or Bowen at West Ham). Of the top 24 goal scorers in pl 10 are midfielders / wingers and with the odd exception all earn over £100k and will be get around 15goals a season

1. Kane £200k
1=Salah £200k
3. Fernandez £180k midfield
4. Son £140k
4=Bamford £35k
4= Calvert-Lewin £20k (must be wrong!)
7. Lacazette £175k
8. Vardy £140k
9. Watkins £75k
10. Gundogoan £140k midfield
11. Rashford £200k
12. Wilson £46k
13. Sterling £300k winger
13=Mahrez £120k winger
13= Ings £75k
13=Barnes £10k winger
13= Zaha £130k diver
13=Aubemeyang £250k
13= Souceck £67k midfield
13= Maddison £110k midfield
20. Perrerra £6k winger
20= Bowen £96k midfield
20= Lindgard £75k midfield
20=Jesus £90k
20=Maupay £50k

Think of those who hadn’t scored 8 league goals and cost big time wages (£100k+)
Werner
Abraham
Giroud
Pulisic
Havertz
Hudson-Odi
Benteke
Sigurdson
James Rodriquez
Firmino
Mane
Jota
Augero
Silva
Martial
Cavani
Bale
Alli
So I believe it’s about all attacking players getting goals at least 5-8 each

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Maupay is a 10 a season striker which costs 20m in prem and even that is a risk. Plus he is only 24 !!

Those casting aside will be the first to moan when we are struggling without those goals.

Maupay stays and is a very important squad member.

The question is who joins Maupay as options.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
When i first saw this thread i assumed someone had bumped one of the identical threads from any of the last 4 transfer windows when everyone is convinced we are going to bring in a £30 million striker (where does that figure come from incidentally?).

I don't need to read the thread to predict a load of people suggesting we need a younger Glenn Murray type target man for all our other strikers to play off, or that Maupay is not good enough blah blah blah.

Get real folks, we'll sign a youngster from a random European club for £8 mil before loaning him back for 6 months. Or we might sign a female.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My point is that our entire squad is on another level to our striking options. Our keeper, defence and midfield are all fantastic - Top 10-12 quality. Our striking options are some way below. IMO.

I know it's not as simple as throwing cash at the problem, and I (generally) trust our club to make the right choices. I'm simply saying that we've been willing to spend to a decent level (£5m-£15m) in other positions, but never upfront, where a comparative quality player costs a lot, lot more.

Yeah, I see that argument. Perhaps I am being a little risk averse but the thought of paying 40 m with 100k+ weekly wages makes my eyes water. Even more so if he doesn’t score.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The striker we sign will likely be someone you haven’t heard of from another lesser known league.

And I’m going to stick my neck out that we’ll be tapping into the South American market once again.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If we can find a way to just have Maupay as an out and out poacher, I think he will score more. He can't pass and is too selfish to drop deep, so play to his strengths and just have him in the box. Problem is it will weaken other parts of the pitch.

Maupay is the Poacher who cant Poach. The amount of woeful efforts around the 6 yard box has cost us dear this season. Last nights effort saw another to add to the crime sheet.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Re-sign Welbeck, consider Andone. If Andone wants out, or we want him out, then consider Armstrong from Blackburn.
Cant see us spending big on a striker as it’s just too risky. Plus, a fit Welbeck is a quality option.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, I see that argument. Perhaps I am being a little risk averse but the thought of paying 40 m with 100k+ weekly wages makes my eyes water. Even more so if he doesn’t score.

Yeah, I get that.

Despite what I've just said, the thought of spending £35-40m on ONE player does also make me feel a little uncomfortable too!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We've done an incredible job of signing players of real quality through the rest of the squad. We have full internationals like Propper who don't get a look in.

Fancy there will be quite a significant clear out this summer with quite a few moving on. Would be happy for this to happen if we brought in 1 or 2 of real quality.

Very unlikely for significant clear outs to happen at ANY club at any level where the player is contracted. Post-covid finances will drive down transfer fees and contract values for all but the MOST elite players - and even then the scrutiny on them will be much sharper (e.g. Pogba). Players/agents will hunker down and take whatever cash is available and see how the world looks in twelve months.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Something has to give this summer. Forget about fiddling around with what we've got, if we want to progress we simply HAVE to invest. Our current options simply aren't good enough at finishing, and we've had this proven time after time after time this season.

Lots of names I'd like to see us go for, Kalajdzic from the Bundesliga who we've been linked with before, Boulaye Dia, Ivan Toney (unlikely), Paul Onuachu, Odsonne Édouard. Plenty of names.

But it has to be someone. And to be honest I think people are perfectly within their right to be asking for a new striker, despite one or two on here condescendingly deriding people who've had the temerity to ask for us to spend a little bit more this window when we spent 900k last summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here