Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stricter Drink Driving Limits for Scotland - Should Eng, Wales & NI follow suit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd favour a 'close to zero' limit, 50 is a step in the right direction.

The 'morning after' thing worries me a lot more. A big night out could involve say a couple of pints, bottle of wine and a glass or two of port (especially this time of year), so 15-20 units. Even with 6pm start and a midnight finish, could be mid-day at least before you're safe, but I bet most would drive after maybe 6-7 hours asleep. I now ask myself whether i'd drink whatever I have at lunchtime and drive later that day.......answer would always be no.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Two things that are guaranteed:

1. It WILL go down from 80 to 50 in the next couple of years.
2. The EU are all over this. Further EU pressure will mean even 50 will be deemed unacceptable within 5 years. In 10 years we'll be on 30 if we're lucky. A swift half-litre and that's your lot!
Ever increasing encroachment by bureaucrats into lives of others, not only on this topic but life in general. It really is turning into 1984.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Life has risks. I just wish that as much effort was put into stopping people using their phone whilst driving.

Totally agree - the number of people I still see talking on their phones whilst driving is scary. Also there's no way someone who's had a couple of pints will drive as badly as some of these people I've seen.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No reason why not, although I'd be in favour of a zero limit.

I'd go along with that. If the limit were significantly reduced, people with any sense would probably just abstain anyway.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ever increasing encroachment by bureaucrats into lives of others, not only on this topic but life in general. It really is turning into 1984.

So do you reckon there should be no drink drive limit? And I guess we might as wel do away with speed limits everywhere as well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So do you reckon there should be no drink drive limit? And I guess we might as wel do away with speed limits everywhere as well.
And where did I suggest either of those stupid ideas? Oh, that's right, I didn't, you just typed it for your own dramatic effect.

What I am getting at is the constant creep of legislation into OUR personal lives, the state continuously eroding our personal freedom to make decisions for ourselves without being penalised by others who assume that they know better. Our laws have been created and amended umpteen times and drink driving has been nigh on eradicated when compared to forty odd years ago. That does not stop the families of victims feeling angry, but the numbers of victims has been reduced enormously. There comes a tipping point when the benefit to society in general is more important than any benefit gained by an individual.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

But it's not about that, is it? It's about the state telling people what they can and can't do, taking away the need for people to make judgements about the way they act and behave, turning almost everyone into a petty criminal in some shape or form.

So are you saying that there is conclusive evidence that you can pass our current levels, but you're judgement and reaction time are negatively effected to a point that puts others at risk?

From memory, when I was working on some medicines formulated with alcohol there is impairment when the ethanol blood level is around 0.04%w/v (ie 40mg/100ml).

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Having had a relative killed by a driver under the influence (the driver had only had 1 pint) back in the early 90's I'm all in favour of the reduction.

You shouldn't even think about getting behind the wheel having had a drink IMO. If I want a couple of pints at the Amex on a Saturday I walk to the station and go by train. When I drive and use the park and ride I always have a soft drink. I agree a zero limit would be unmanageable as things like mouthwash have small amounts of alcohol in them, but there is just no excuse to even have 1 drink and then get behind the wheel of a car. I'm getting a taxi to my works Christmas party, have arranged for one to take me home and won't drive at all on the Saturday after.

If you want to have a drink just don't drive. Get a taxi or arrange for a family member or friend to give you a lift. Simple.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And where did I suggest either of those stupid ideas? Oh, that's right, I didn't, you just typed it for your own dramatic effect.

What I am getting at is the constant creep of legislation into OUR personal lives, the state continuously eroding our personal freedom to make decisions for ourselves without being penalised by others who assume that they know better. Our laws have been created and amended umpteen times and drink driving has been nigh on eradicated when compared to forty odd years ago. That does not stop the families of victims feeling angry, but the numbers of victims has been reduced enormously. There comes a tipping point when the benefit to society in general is more important than any benefit gained by an individual.

Glad you think they are stupid ideas. But I had an argument the other night - and I don't often "lose it" - but the bloke I was talking too did genuinely think he should be able to go as fast as he likes on his motorbike (he is in his 60's) and bu66er everybody else. I am probably feeling a bit touchy still about the matter. No offence intended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here