Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strangest match you've ever seen?

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
I remember going to Swindon, in 71/72 season I think. Mid winter, bitterly cold day. The pitch was an absolute pudding. Late in the first half it started to snow heavily - great fat wet lazy looking snowdrops. Albion started to ship goals and by midway through the second half they were 4-0 down.

With twenty minutes to go the referee abandonded the match - Swindon players and supporters incensed. Me, my new girlfriend, both frozen to the marrow (I knew how to give a girl a good time) made a discrete exit in my Morris Marina and back to Eastbourne.

Postscript 1: In the rearranged fixture later in the season Albion won 3-2 and got promoted to Division 2.

Postcript 2: She married me but that match somewhat cooled her enthusiasm for football - and she is still contented to be a Saturday afternoon widow.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
3-5 at home to Manchester United. :( I left when it went 3-3.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Division 1 v. Coventry. In those days clubs' away strip was quite conventional and not used unless the colour clash was obvious. Coventry turned up in Cadbury's Dairy Milk brown shirts and brown shorts (with sky blue trim I think). 20,000 people gasped in amazement as they ran onto the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Liza Minnelli and David Gest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cup match in Peterborough in the snow. Justin Fashanu doing a Bambi on ice impersonation and for some inexplicable reason, to me anyway, fighting on the terraces amongst Brighton fans :shrug:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Also, the 6-2 win at Selhurst Park in 1998. We pretty much needed a draw to stay up that day, and we were 2-1 down at HT, then Klinsmann scored 4 goals. :D :D .

What was strange about it ? We scored 6 goals under Christian Gross.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Got to be 5-1 Tottenham against Chelsea. In the Worthington Cup 2002. What a weird game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool from the other night!....

Brighton 2-3 Swindon. :down:
"We're out of it now, once we're behind we don't know how to get back into the game so I don't think we're going to win today. We're in real trouble now" - at half time. Full time her comments were very different.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I remember going to Swindon, in 71/72 season I think. Mid winter, bitterly cold day. The pitch was an absolute pudding. Late in the first half it started to snow heavily - great fat wet lazy looking snowdrops. Albion started to ship goals and by midway through the second half they were 4-0 down.

With twenty minutes to go the referee abandonded the match - Swindon players and supporters incensed. Me, my new girlfriend, both frozen to the marrow (I knew how to give a girl a good time) made a discrete exit in my Morris Marina and back to Eastbourne.

Postscript 1: In the rearranged fixture later in the season Albion won 3-2 and got promoted to Division 2.

Postcript 2: She married me but that match somewhat cooled her enthusiasm for football - and she is still contented to be a Saturday afternoon widow.

I am sure that game was much later - I'd say 75/76 or even 76/77. I was there too.

The game should never have been played - in fact rumour has it that the referee told Mullery (must have been later than 71/2 as Mullery was in charge)that the game was OFF - Mullery ordered Fish and Chips for the players to eat before heading for home - the ref then changed his mind and said the game was ON. Mullery went spare, and the ref said if there was any rain whatsoever he would abandon the game.

Which he did. At 4-0 to Swindon with 20 minutes to go!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I'm sure it was not that season? It was New Years day. After the match we could not get back to our Coach because OB made it go, a load of us were stranded in Swindon. I remember a load of Bristol City fans came to join us in the away end, and kept banging on about drinkind cider! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here