Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Strange songs team’s adopt

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Indeed it was an old Liverpool Folk song called Johnny Todd, so Everton have every right to use it. Whether they did before it became the Z-cars theme I don’t know, but I doubt it, because no one outside Liverpool would have known it, I would think.

Definitely Johnny Todd, I remember first year at junior school, I must have been 7 or 8 years old (1961/2) and our class teacher had a thing for 'country dancing' and one of the songs we had to learn and dance to was this song, I can still remember the words to my shame, it was a ditty of a sailor who left his sweetheart to go to sea and was subsequently dumped by said maiden for another bloke, strangely enough I was familiar with the Z cars theme at that time so always called it such.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Definitely Johnny Todd, I remember first year at junior school, I must have been 7 or 8 years old (1961/2) and our class teacher had a thing for 'country dancing' and one of the songs we had to learn and dance to was this song, I can still remember the words to my shame, it was a ditty of a sailor who left his sweetheart to go to sea and was subsequently dumped by said maiden for another bloke, strangely enough I was familiar with the Z cars theme at that time so always called it such.

You must be roughly the same age as me. I had piano lessons and told the piano teacher I really liked the Z-Cars theme. She transcribed it for me and told me where it came from.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Didn't a South London club, desperate for an 'anthem' of their own, adopt a song that was written, sung and recorded by a bunch of ardent Tottenham fans who formed the group in order to raise money to get to a Spurs away match in Holland ?

I seem to remember that the Band were the major exponent of 'The Tottenham sound' back in the sixties and here is a picture of the boys and the spurs players hilariously swapping places

daveclark.jpg

Now which team was it :lolol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
one of the "City" teams use "In the City" by The Jam

think maybe Swansea?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Drink Up Thy Cider by the Wurzels is played at Ashton Gate and sung by Bristol City fans.
I think the stadium plays it after a home win. It has not been played for a while!

I seem to recall Morning Glory by the Wurzels as well being played at Ashton Gate.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Are Brighton and Hove Albion and Newcastle United the only teams who run out to an anthem that is truly about their region ? (ie Sussex by the Sea and The Blaydon Races)

Dunno. I think though there are a few teams that use songs that were written specifically for them. Norwich has 'On the ball City', and Peterborough used to have a really weird one that sounded like it was sung by the Swingle Singers (google them). Intimidating it was not.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Didn't a South London club, desperate for an 'anthem' of their own, adopt a song that was written, sung and recorded by a bunch of ardent Tottenham fans who formed the group in order to raise money to get to a Spurs away match in Holland ?

I seem to remember that the Band were the major exponent of 'The Tottenham sound' back in the sixties and here is a picture of the boys and the spurs players hilariously swapping places

View attachment 142073

is that Jarvis cocker in the middle of the "Spurs players"?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

View attachment 142073

Harry McGuire, second from left.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

View attachment 142073

Don’t know if there is a whoosh going on here, but the people sitting down wearing the Spurs kits are the Dave Clark Five.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Didn't Fat Sam start Bolton coming out to the theme from '633 Squadron' when he was manager, as it was one of his favourites? Don't know if they still do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here