Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange/Indirect claims to fame.....

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I was washing cars round people's houses when 14 and Peter Taylor answered the door...he said no :( his daughter did internship at our school though <3

Stayed in the same villa the England squad used for Portugal euros a week before they used it too.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I nutmegged Dean Wilkins. And was in turn nutmegged (twice) by Micky Adams.

I went out with the neice of (Don I think) Fox - the rugby league player who famously missed a conversion at Wembley that would have won the Challenge Cup. One for the older readers.

I hired Paul Merton for £100 to do a stand-up routine at my 30th birthday party. His first television appearance was the following week.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
On a school trip to the National Theatre, our teacher was being a bit of a prick and wouldn’t let us go into the bar area to get soft drinks or sweets.
Su Pollard was in there with a few others and she saw what the teacher had been like.
She came over to us and took our orders and got it all for us. She even paid.
The teacher was an even bigger arse to us for the rest of the trip but the smugness helped us get through it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was very good mates with the keyboard player in the Pop Tops who had a massive worldwide hit in the 70's with a song called Mammy Blue, although by the time I knew him he was back playing in nightclub bands.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm on speaking terms with Daniel Bedingfield - pretty certain he'd remember me anyway

I played bass on a song to which Danny Dyer first makes his appearance in a film from a couple of years back (Jack Said)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My Stepdad's brother dated Joanna Lumley in the 60's and 70's.

I guarded Michael Caine's house for a year in the late 90's

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Not strictly qualifying but I packed a girl up in the 70's and 2 weeks later they were in the Argus having won a fortune on the pools. B*stard.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I once met George Takei when I was a kid and made him sing the Star Trek theme to me. He obliged and gave me a signed autograph and wrote the lyrics on the back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Edit, not a claim to fame at all, just a random thing, so deleted

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
For the oldies - my wife is best mates with the singer from Clout.
I sold John Cleese several books about the Boer War.
I have played a lot of golf with Gerry Ryan.
I told Ben Crenshaw that his ball was in a bunker during the 1986 Open at Turnberry. He was not happy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I checked Gyles Brandreth and the Chippendales into their hotels rooms ( not the same room nor at the same time I hasten to add ! ).
I've served Tony Blair tea.
I gave Tessa Sanderson directions to Castle Square.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I went to school with the sons of Matthew Corbett of Sooty. fame They were spoilt, loudmouth fools. I also went to school with Shakin Steven's son and Johnny Wilkinson was at my school but way younger than me and never met him.

My Stepbrother is friends with Roger Waters and played in a band with his son.

I shagged Geoffrey Bernard's daughter

I had dinner with Heath Ledger and Colin Farrell a few years ago.

Last edited:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I was on may way to a meeting in London. I was killing a little time at St Paul's when I realised I was standing in the middle of a film set. A few months later I was spotted on EastEnders with the Cybermen from Dr Who.

All a bit wierd.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I sat behind Bonnie Tyler on an Easyjet flight to Malaga.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here