[Sussex] Storm Ciaran on its way or here?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Huge numbers. The Sussex coast very rarely experiences wind speeds like that. The Burn’s Day Storm of 1990 where a lot of folk got killed or hurt … 84mph was the maximum Shoreham gust.
Gusts of 100 knots per hour ( 185.20 kph/115mph) at Shoreham in the Great Storm of 1987 - Gusts of 119 knots recorded on the West Coast of Brittany the evening before (over 220 kph/136.7mph)

Compare stats!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gusts of 100 knots per hour ( 185.20 kph/115mph) at Shoreham in the Great Storm of 1987 - Gusts of 119 knots recorded on the West Coast of Brittany the evening before (over 220 kph/136.7mph)

Compare stats!

The MetOffice numbers by contrast really playing this down, gusts peaking at 60mph in Brighton. Strange, we’ll soon find out.

IMG_1847.png

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hours off flights traveling from the Eastern Seaboard of the US on the back of a roaring Jet Stream yesterday but that has intensified Ciaran into a ‘bomb cyclone’

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pretty serious wind and rain here now in East Hastings up on the hill.
With the ground sodden from all the torrential rain we've had, I fear there'll be a lot of trees blown over. Two already down on St.Helens Road :(

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Hours off flights traveling from the Eastern Seaboard of the US on the back of a roaring Jet Stream yesterday but that has intensified Ciaran into a ‘bomb cyclone’

I flew Tampa to Boston (1,300 miles) on Monday night in 2h 10m. Was 3h 45m coming back. Ground speed close to 700mph and no more than 420mph on the return. Incredibly smooth flights there and back, which is so unusual with winds like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its already kicking off in BN41. Wheeliebin day tomorrow, and mine has clearly been spun around 45° (although thankfully is still upright).

Looking forward to a nice lay-in tomorrow, being as this is obviously going to be a WFH day. This may, or may not, also involve a 2 hour lunch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fairly steady wind in BN2.

Nothing too concerning so far.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Got up for work about 30 mins ago and I have to say I'm rather disappointed.
We were told that if conditions were as bad as predicted that we could stay at home but it seems rather tame out there.
Where's the apocalypse we were promised?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
One of our recycling bins has just blown over in Hangleton.

It'll take time, but we'll get through this.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones at this difficult time.

Keep strong!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Per the Argus

Power outages have been reported across Sussex as Storm Ciarán batters the south coast with strong winds and heavy rain.

People have been left without electricity in Whitehawk, Crawley, Horsham, Storrington, Hurstpierpoint, Rye

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Call me an over cautious old ninny, but I’m not taking the dog for his usual run on the beach!

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Very very wet and just had thunder and lightening up here in North West, East Sussex.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Its already kicking off in BN41. Wheeliebin day tomorrow, and mine has clearly been spun around 45° (although thankfully is still upright).

Looking forward to a nice lay-in tomorrow, being as this is obviously going to be a WFH day. This may, or may not, also involve a 2 hour lunch.
Council website saying bin collections cancelled today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports