Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stopover at Doha airport - is it awful?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I shall resolve this debate next Saturday.

Joensuu

May 8, 2010
Had to do a 8 hour stretch there a couple of weeks ago. If you are there overnight it's not easy place to find anywhere to get any rest. The best place seems to be past the toilets near a Coffee shop (southern end). There really isn't anything much to see or do. There are some small wifi booths, some duty-free type shops (all over priced), and some places service average fast food. US dollars seemed to be accepted, change given in Riyal.

If you're travelling with kids there is some form of small play area to the north end.

Apparently you can sometimes pay c. $15 USD for a visa to escape into the city - depending upon your ticket. If you are allowed out of the airport, you might just have time to hop in a taxi and visit the Souqs.

Edit: and I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall seeing bottles of spirits at not especially cheap prices.

BHAMAN

Dec 25, 2010
Shoreham
I've got a stopover for 4 or 5 hours at Doha airport next week and I've been told that it's awful there with very little to do (shops, restaurants etc.) I'd thought it might be a bit like Dubai airport, albeit on a smaller scale.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers!

I stopped off there for 5 hours on my way to the Philippines with the family back in December 2009. Arrived there at about 4pm.
We decided to take a taxi into town, find a restaurant and see the place.
To leave the airport, however, you need to pay for a visa – I think it worked out at about £20 each. (there were 5 of us - ouch!).
Before going I researched some restaurants (the wonders of Google!) so we knew where to head when we arrived (and where to tell the taxi to go). The restaurant we picked was actually in a hotel, so I emailed the hotel in advance and asked whether we needed to book (which we didn’t) and how much the taxi should cost. I’d recommend anyone doing the same.
We had a nice wander around town and saw some interesting sites. It was a nice thing to but I’m honestly not sure if it was worth the overall cost just so we can say “we’ve been to Doha” (just sitting to the airport doesn’t really count).
From what I can remember, the airport itself wasn't actually too bad - but with more like snack bars than actual restaurants.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've got a stopover for 4 or 5 hours at Doha airport next week and I've been told that it's awful there with very little to do (shops, restaurants etc.) I'd thought it might be a bit like Dubai airport, albeit on a smaller scale.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers!

IMHO the more obscure the airport the better the fun. Always something new or different to see.

Tho if they don't do alcohol, might be wise to invest in an airline lounge. Assuming they do those.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Its awful.....just like the country ! Very expensive duty free...(no alcohol )..and whatever you do dont try and take any in (even transit..it will be confiscated!). There is one cafe and a couple of coffee bars. Believe me..its NOTHING like Dubai !!!

Slightly unfair that and not too expensive. If you get the chance try Turkey central , a great Turkish meal and cold iced melon shake for about £6.

Oh and more 4 x 4s than you could shake a stick at.

All with no cat converters!

TNBA

TTF

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Defo alcohol in. The duty free, beware in the cafe though the beer is alcohol free...

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
When I was there the place was heaving with Indian migrant workers with enormous pieces of 'hand baggage'. The country is a sweltering, boring mess, i'd rather watch penguin racing in the Falklands than a world cup in Qatar.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
You were right about the toilets, the most digsuting airport toilets I've ever seen, the floors were swimming in piss and dirt. Very unpleasant.
Duty Free also a complete rip-off. If the country is anything like the airport, oh dear.....

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You were right about the toilets, the most digsuting airport toilets I've ever seen, the floors were swimming in piss and dirt.

Brings back memories of the Goldstone

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
That Goldstone piss and dirt has a dear place in all of our hearts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here