Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop this nonsense of Covid passports, ID and masks

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Whether I've had covid jabs makes no difference to if can do my job .... or not. Being ill does and so of.course I would have to tell my employer about being ill. The problem here is we've added jab shaming to mask shaming ...... very slippery slope.

Jab shaming …….. if you don’t want the jab then fine but that’s your choice and your choice alone. If others have issues with it then that’s the price you pay. Jab shaming implies that is our fault and not yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
So that video of the ex-nurses rant in Trafalgar Square didn’t happen? ???

Did you see the hundred of thousands on the other marches?
Of course there are nutters but that doesn't define everyone.
Most people on the freedom marches were just people worried about Governments imposing a medical ID card.

These protests are happening around the world. Not everyone attending is a screaming loon

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
This is an article from the Guardian 1989.
I don't even want to think about the abuse I'd get now for opposing this.
I'm sure I would be accused of supporting hooliganism.

The Covid passport debate is nuanced but it's even boring me now and I started the bloody thread.

Legislation to impose a compulsory national membership scheme on all 92 Football League clubs is to be introduced in the next parliamentary session, the Prime Minister told the football authorities yesterday.

The Government will also consider whether it should urge the Football Association to withdraw England from the World Cup in Italy in 1990.

Anyone wishing to go to a football match from the beginning of the 1989-90 season will need a registered card, with photographs, issued by one of the 92 League clubs in England and Wales. The cards will allow supporters to attend away matches.

Mrs Thatcher told football chiefs, including Mr Graham Kelly, the Football League secretary, and Mr Ted Croker, the Football Association secretary, of the decision at a 90 minute meeting in Downing Street yesterday.

Exactly. Nobody wanted an ID scheme to enter football stadiums then. I still don't want it now, though it seems many here really do want it. I'd like to still attend games at the Amex, have been double vaccinated, but will not be joining an ID/register scheme to do so. So, currently I can't attend. Maybe the club will change its stance, maybe not.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It is all wildly unnecessary.

But I suppose the club needs to show it is doing something. That's pretty much where we are in the pandemic now - it's all about making people feel safe even at their own inconvenience.

In reality, it doesn't matter how much the virus spreads anymore. At this particular moment in time it would even be beneficial for infection rates to go up rather than down - so in the long term any precautions at the moment are counterproductive.

Exactly. On reflection I think the club were just doing a box-ticking exercise yesterday. All those instructions about masks to be worn in the stadium whereas in reality about 5% of people were wearing them in the concourse. And no one enforcing the rule.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I think the point is that these restrictions aren't necessary anymore. There is no real risk of lockdowns or football behind closed doors again.
That seems a bit of a stretch

I hope you're right but the scientists and experts I have read and heard are not saying that. Vaccinations do not offer total protection and no one can predict how vaccines might react to new variants. For now our best strategy has to be minimising transmission, along with vaccination.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. On reflection I think the club were just doing a box-ticking exercise yesterday. All those instructions about masks to be worn in the stadium whereas in reality about 5% of people were wearing them in the concourse. And no one enforcing the rule.

Which is pretty much ok, because pretty much every adult attending had either tested negative or has had both jabs

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Exactly. Nobody wanted an ID scheme to enter football stadiums then. I still don't want it now, though it seems many here really do want it. I'd like to still attend games at the Amex, have been double vaccinated, but will not be joining an ID/register scheme to do so. So, currently I can't attend. Maybe the club will change its stance, maybe not.

But surely you have already joined? Just as with your measles / mumps / rubella jabs, and possible several others, your GP and the Government know that you have been jabbed against Covid.
So what is this ID scheme that you will not join?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Did you see the hundred of thousands on the other marches?
Of course there are nutters but that doesn't define everyone.
Most people on the freedom marches were just people worried about Governments imposing a medical ID card.

These protests are happening around the world. Not everyone attending is a screaming loon

The “freedom” marches that happened on the same day as, and I shit you not, “freedom day”? Of course not everyone at those is screaming loon, it’s just all the screaming loons, anti-vaxxers, 5G conspiracy theorists and the “COVID is a hoax” happen to see eye to eye with you on this one. Denying or pretending those people aren’t a big part of those protests and aren’t given a platform to preach their scientifically illiterate conspiracy theorist nonsense just weakens your credibility.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps you should do some more research on Sweden’s Covid measures. In particular look at their record compared to the other Scandinavian countries, at the reversal of the no lockdown policies and the regret felt by many Swedish politicians about their initial response. I’m afraid your entrenched view is simply fake news.

Sure other Scandinavian countries had slightly better figures, but at what cost to their economies, to their personal freedom? I know which country I'd have preferred to be living in.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Which is pretty much ok, because pretty much every adult attending had either tested negative or has had both jabs

So why the list of stupid rules which made us feel like a bunch of 12 year olds? Personally I'd like to be treated like an adult and make my own decisions. That's the way life used to be.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
So why the list of stupid rules which made us feel like a bunch of 12 year olds? Personally I'd like to be treated like an adult and make my own decisions. That's the way life used to be.

You are free to make your own decisions, however so are other people and organisations able to make their own decisions. Ergo if their decisions don’t coincide with yours - tough!

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
yeah, you're right my medical records will be with my GP, govt agencies etc. But, I don't feel the need to share my medical records with sport venues, pubs, theatres etc etc and have my attendance recorded and monitored at every place I visit. It's disproportionate, insidious and intrusive. There have already been many instances of misuse of data by governments, tech and businesses - this was before the extra scrutiny which has been legitimised by Covid. The vaccination programme has been a success so far - the monitoring and control of whole societies will not be. As individuals, I don't think we should be endorsing this approach

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That seems a bit of a stretch

I hope you're right but the scientists and experts I have read and heard are not saying that. Vaccinations do not offer total protection and no one can predict how vaccines might react to new variants. For now our best strategy has to be minimising transmission, along with vaccination.

Luckily for us this opinion is firmly on the fringes and it's only pushed by a handful of scientists with extreme opinions.

Vaccination is the only strategy. You either trust it or you don't.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No I don' think it's a hoax.

I know a doctor who works in South London and told me about how horrendous it was in January.
My niece is an intensive care nurse at UCH in London.

Then I am astounded that you feel its unnecessary overkill.

The sooner we drive this disease out the better and we are still far from that as Brighton still has a very high infection rate. Yes the current variation is not as bad for most people ( though apparently its worse for pregnant women) but its still around killing and causing lung damage (more severe than flu) and if its around in large numbers it has the propensity to mutate again (though hopefully into an even weaker version)

I am not saying more lockdowns or everywhere closed but asking that people need to reconsider having jabs, wear masks in appropriate places and not to complain about being asked to prove you have your jabs (if everyone had them it would not be an issue). So masks in shops , theatres, cinemas and football.

You previously mentioned night clubs, pubs and Burnley. I am going to discount the latter , as has been said by others all the clubs will have to do this by October. What Burnley do is their interim decision.

The government is saying nightclubs will have to have the checks in place in October , this was another of Boris's libertarian ideas about how can we punish 'youngsters' who have not been offered the jabbed. Simple we all have put up with constraints over the last 15 months , 3 months more would not have been an impossible ask. Provide help to the venues but clearly another case of closing the door after the horse has bolted.

Pubs , i think should have maintained table service and again been given support. Like it or not 'pubs' are dying irrespective of COVID cheap alcohol from supermarkets combined to other attractions have been the main reason.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Because people like this exist.

71D694D6-81E5-4384-9D8F-E770F222D35F.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It was scarcely different to attending any ‘normal’ game….not sure how many attending felt they were treated like 12 year olds but we didn’t. Tiny inconveniences to contribute to keeping people safe and helping us on the path to exit this mess, nothing more.

You are going to have on heck of a struggle doing stuff over the next few years if you want things ‘the way life used to be’.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
yeah, you're right my medical records will be with my GP, govt agencies etc. But, I don't feel the need to share my medical records with sport venues, pubs, theatres etc etc and have my attendance recorded and monitored at every place I visit. It's disproportionate, insidious and intrusive. There have already been many instances of misuse of data by governments, tech and businesses - this was before the extra scrutiny which has been legitimised by Covid. The vaccination programme has been a success so far - the monitoring and control of whole societies will not be. As individuals, I don't think we should be endorsing this approach

You aren't sharing your medical records, don't worry the club aren't going to find out about that dose of the clap you came back from Ibiza with in 1994.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here