Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stop the catastrophizing right now

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Flexibility of thought and actions in the moment. Alisson and Ederson both play it long when headless chickens relentlessly try to corner them from KO, which the latter can’t maintain. Inevitably spaces are left upfield.
The issue at the moment is that injuries mean we don’t have those outlets, particularly in the wide, safer spaces.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There’s a balance though. I don’t think many rationale people think one result is a catastrophe but winning only 3 league games out of 16 for a club with top ten ambitions is very poor.

If this run of league results had happened under Potter there would be poll after poll asking if his time was up.
I do agree, but I think most people accept there are extenuating circumstances with RDZ, such as injuries, an imbalanced squad etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There’s a balance though. I don’t think many rationale people think one result is a catastrophe but winning only 3 league games out of 16 for a club with top ten ambitions is very poor.

If this run of league results had happened under Potter there would be poll after poll asking if his time was up.
I agree with your sentiment but actually we forget how patient we were with Potter - we once went a calendar year winning one (maybe two?) home game.

RDZ has seen the best two players leave the club and had lots of injuries. He deserves patience too. But there's no dressing up a three month run of a point a game in the league so I don't think it's unreasonable to question the way some things are done. There was a post on another thread that suggested we are supremely arrogant thinking we can stroke the ball around from the off. I think that's spot on and would like to see RDZ adapt his tactics a bit.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Personally I have always felt watching our Club play in the Premier League is a privilege (and a joy when we win). I will never feel such a lack of gratitude for the £500 million quid TB has invested in the Club when we were not a thriving EPL Club as to expect a refund on my ticket if they play badly or feel watching the Seagulls play live is something to be ‘endured’ even when the whole team has a ‘blackout’. I think with the amount of joy I have got from supporting Brighton the past few seasons, I can ‘allow’ the fcuk ups too.

Tonight we had a really off night - it happens - the whole team just didn’t get off the bus. And yet, we are still in Europe and the FA Cup, we are without any true wingers still but they will be back in a few weeks, and we are still looking strong for a top 10 finish.

I think I’ll repost my own emotional response to an angry post from the match thread - there seems to be a lot of duplicates threads on here tonight anyway but it sums up how I felt in the heat of the moment in contrast with others

“Because whatever chicken licken narrative people want to come up about the Club, its manager or owner because we have been outplayed by another EPL side on one of the few nights we have been totally shit - (and the oppo has been fcuking good) ,the lads were frustrated and the loss will be hard to swallow - they are still my Club and I still support the lads and TB and, at least until TB/PBOBE sees fit to sack him for underperforming, our manager too. Next time maybe let someone else have your ticket if you can’t bear to watch us lose - I’m sure there are plenty of Goldstone era fans whose support isn’t contingent on Brighton winning Premier League match after match.

Really well played Luton. They deserved the win.”

I’m less emotionally insulated now 🙂 - I frickin hate Luton, they play like they’re kicking the ball through the back streets of Naples - we lost, badly, it was crap, moving on - If previous trouncing is anything to go by, we come back next match with guns blazing.

UTA
What a load of sanctimonious tosh!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm more impressed with the word '

Catastrophizing​

I mean, I could work out what it meant. But still. I reckon it's the first time I've seen It. Must get it in somewhere. With the English spelling, of course.
'
Catastrophising is a GREAT word, isn't it? Very apt presently.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
It happens, we lose, yep even against all odds.

We have the best squad EVER assembled.
We have the best status EVER - playing in Europe knockout stages, FA cup and in with a real shout at Europe qualification via the league.
We absolutely batter teams outplaying them with greater possession, often numerous more shots playing highly entertaining attractive exciting football.
We have valuable assets at the club in the players, including a youth structure other top teams are envious of
The potential for this club is absolutely massive we can break into the top 6 on merit.

Some of the stuff I'm reading tonight is quite honestly ridiculous. We have NOT become a bad team overnight.

We WILL come back and batter our opponents Saturday. The timing is ideal.
Yeah and remember that game at Hereford 😴😴😴.
Why do we need to list all the positives after getting stuffed by “a team like Luton”.

It’s my and any football fans right to moan about that game last night. Bloody pathetic. We got bullied.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Credit to Luton and we were awful. Consequentially now more likely to keep the most exciting, fun and attacking coach in our history. So it’s no catastrophising from me!

Now if he could coach defending and corners too…..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Positive - Good to get that out of the way against Luton rather than on Saturday. I’m sure we will be working very hard on everything between now and then.

Negative - no goals at all in league games this year. All very well popping off a few in cup games against Championship standard teams who are at home and need to win a one off game but we’re not breaking anyone else down without our creative wide players. With no sign of the club backing RDZ in the window we’ll just have to accept the odd point here and there until after Asia Cup / AFCON and De Zerbi on his bike in the summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm just confused as to who the ESCAPE GOAT is.

Since last night, I've seen blame apportioned to (in no particular order):

RDZ
Webster
Buonanotte
Gilmour
Dahoud
Steele
Home form
Away form
Concentrating on the cups
Being in the cups
Estupinan
Welbeck
Dryrobe-wearers
Dunk
Milner
Baleba
Not being one of TNT's picks
The delayed official match thread
A lack of leaders
Barber
Ferguson
The recruitment team
Tony Bloom
The Amex
Gully (OK, maybe not Gully, but deffo Asbo Sammy).

Who/what should we be Booooooooing the most?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Have we forgotten the BHA trend of being really pants in the league after Xmas and into a new year.
There will probably be more catastrophizing to come before the team wakes up.
(Crodo on) As the wonderfully talented Ronan Keating once sang so beautifully (Crodo off)
>football< Life is a rollercoaster.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I agree with much of the sentiment on here. Yes, no one saw that coming but it can happen - it's sport! I never get too carried away if we win and won't get too upset when we lose (even if it was a disaster of a performance like last night).

The elephant in the room is clearly the defense - 2 clean sheets in the league all season, and this arguably has never really been addressed. For all the talk of Dewsbury Hall in recent days, I'd like to see us sign a right back with experience.

The recruitment by the club has broadly been excellent but even this month the 4 signings made (Hall, Barco, Doyle, and Mazilu) are all largely players for the future. If I could have one wish today it would be that a player with 1st team experience could be found that could slot into our defense.

Remember - it's only a game.

I'm more impressed with the word '

Catastrophizing​

I mean, I could work out what it meant. But still. I reckon it's the first time I've seen It. Must get it in somewhere. With the English spelling, of course.
'
Catastrophising is a GREAT word, isn't it? Very apt presently.

Simple definition ".....wasting time worrying about things, most of which will never happen....."

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It happens, we lose, yep even against all odds.

We have the best squad EVER assembled.
We have the best status EVER - playing in Europe knockout stages, FA cup and in with a real shout at Europe qualification via the league.
We absolutely batter teams outplaying them with greater possession, often numerous more shots playing highly entertaining attractive exciting football.
We have valuable assets at the club in the players, including a youth structure other top teams are envious of
The potential for this club is absolutely massive we can break into the top 6 on merit.

Some of the stuff I'm reading tonight is quite honestly ridiculous. We have NOT become a bad team overnight.

We WILL come back and batter our opponents Saturday. The timing is ideal.
Good post.

I do get majorly hacked off by pretty much always losing/drawing vs teams at the bottom - and there must be an underlying cause which the club must be investigating - but football is nothing without jeopardy and losses happen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We need to reduce our arrogance. Inviting them on from ball one, trying to play pretty ball on a narrow, bobbly pitch, when their strikers have been told to press like their lives depend on it. Anyone with half a brain cell would say “let’s just put the ball right up their end and play up there for 5 minutes”. But no, our arrogance says let’s impose our ball playing silk from ball one, and presto, we are two down in 170 seconds. Basics. Play up their end, until everyone has settled and the oppo have blown their initial high press guts, and then gradually impose your silky play. its arrogance, it’s naive, and it pisses me off.
Most of our issues were caused by Steele hoofing the ball long and us losing possession as a result.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm just confused as to who the ESCAPE GOAT is.

Since last night, I've seen blame apportioned to (in no particular order):

RDZ
Webster
Buonanotte
Gilmour
Dahoud
Steele
Home form
Away form
Concentrating on the cups
Being in the cups
Estupinan
Welbeck
Dryrobe-wearers
Dunk
Milner
Baleba
Not being one of TNT's picks
The delayed official match thread
A lack of leaders
Barber
Ferguson
The recruitment team
Tony Bloom
The Amex
Gully (OK, maybe not Gully, but deffo Asbo Sammy).

Who/what should we be Booooooooing the most?
Has no one blamed the tea lady yet for making coffee?!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Most of our issues were caused by Steele hoofing the ball long and us losing possession as a result.
I don't think he did that much hoofing in the first half but had been clearly been told to mix it up a bit in the second.

For me, our issues were caused because we couldn't get out of our half. It was odd - most of the game we'd do the little triangles that have served us so well in getting us out of tight spaces, but here we'd lose the ball with the final crucial pass. I couldn't really understand why so many passes went inches wide of their target allowing Luton players to put their foots in and break up possession.

So there was that, and the shithouse pub team defending in the first 2 minutes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Credit to Luton they were excellent and we were overrun.

Bring on Saturday, its one game FFS

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think he did that much hoofing in the first half but had been clearly been told to mix it up a bit in the second.

For me, our issues were caused because we couldn't get out of our half. It was odd - most of the game we'd do the little triangles that have served us so well in getting us out of tight spaces, but here we'd lose the ball with in the final crucial pass. I couldn't really understand why so many passes went inches wide of their target allowing Luton players to put their foots in and break up possession.

So there was that, and the shithouse pub team defending in the first 2 minutes.

I think that’s been a theme from us in many games this season. Passes not completed when trying to play out or transition - Lallana, Webster, Gross, Dahoud, Ferguson. I sit there and say to my son “Why does ______ keep passing to the opposition?” Wolves and Burnley at the Amex are fresh in the mind. NOT necessarily when under intense pressure from a press, instead the equivalent of a tennis unforced error.

Ceding vital possession, ending promising or potential attacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here