Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stop the catastrophizing right now

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Primarily, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether praising or catastrophizing. I've read all of this thread and most of the match day thread and find myself categorising each author's negative comments thus:

1. Drunk in charge of a keyboard.
2. Poor understanding of football esp. tactics.
3. Blind love of the club such that any mauling hurts deep.

As we say, we move on. But please don't repeat a performance like that in a hurry.
Add 4 - Love of the club tempered by a reality that we weren’t up to the job last night, Luton played a blinder, but overall our prognosis is good 😊

No catastrophe. We play the way we play. There is an argument for more pragmatism away from home. Our midfield is not as strong as last season. All of our genuine out ball wide men are missing. We’re f***ing BHA not Barcelona and we are still a small fish in a very shark-infested pond. Still have to pinch myself at some of the football we play.

Slapped myself last night😂.

Oh, and well played Luton.
Indeed, those wanting De Zerbi to change and become more pragmatic are in for a very long wait. Through the hard times and the good

Imho Ferguson could hold the ball last season and the beginning of this. His game has collapsed just now, literally every opponent no matter how average is winning every tussle.
It has been a mystery for sure but he very much looked back to his old self on Saturday

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
It happens, we lose, yep even against all odds.

We have the best squad EVER assembled.
We have the best status EVER - playing in Europe knockout stages, FA cup and in with a real shout at Europe qualification via the league.
We absolutely batter teams outplaying them with greater possession, often numerous more shots playing highly entertaining attractive exciting football.
We have valuable assets at the club in the players, including a youth structure other top teams are envious of
The potential for this club is absolutely massive we can break into the top 6 on merit.

Some of the stuff I'm reading tonight is quite honestly ridiculous. We have NOT become a bad team overnight.

We WILL come back and batter our opponents Saturday. The timing is ideal.
No, we have not become a bad team overnight, We've gained bad mentality overnight. Let's hope this is gone for the next game,

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I'll come back to this thread if/when wolves kick us out the fa cup, Get our arses handed to us on a plate against the twats, and nose dive in the next europa game,.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I am absolutely perplexed by the level of headloss after last night across Albion platforms online.

Yeah, it was dreadful, worst I’ve seen us play in years, but come on, it’s hardly symptomatic of the season. Genuinely had some of my most amazing experiences so far this year and the potential for more is massive! A bit of perspective wouldn’t go amiss.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Yesterday's game was horrible. I don't think anyone can deny that we were just awful. One of the worst performances I've seen from a Brighton side since we came up. Even in the 6-1 against Villa, we looked better than yesterday (imo) despite the worse scoreline.

But I said at the start of the season that I'd be happy with qualifying from our Europa group and finishing in the top half of the table again. I might have secretly hoped we'd do better than that, but it seemed realistic when I factored in the loss of Mac and Caicedo and the fact it'd be impossible to get like-for-like replacements who were ready to go and within the club's budget.

What I didn't factor in was the scale and scope of our injury problems. It's not just the number of players, but their quality. We're missing too many of our best players.

As awful as yesterday's performance was, we're still well on course to meet or exceed my pre-season expectations despite the fact we're missing so many key players. We're still on course for one of the most successful seasons in the club's history.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Hopefully everyone has managed to change their pants and had a good clean up by now and has figured that it is only a game and we are still doing well, really looking forward to Saturday.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Indeed, those wanting De Zerbi to change and become more pragmatic are in for a very long wait.
My Dad and his mates on sites would sometimes send me to the van for a long weight. Said I'd find it near the tartan paint and spare bubbles for the spirit level.

Sods.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Flexibility of thought and actions in the moment. Alisson and Ederson both play it long when headless chickens relentlessly try to corner them from KO, which the latter can’t maintain. Inevitably spaces are left upfield.
Exactly your first line. The players/Dunk need to be given the flexibility and responsibility to play that way when needed. I feel they are on a VERY tight leash for how to play.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Stop the americaniZing right now

Sorry, I'm gonna bore everyone now - but as a word nerd, I can't help myself.

This idea that -ize spellings are exclusively American is untrue. Both the -ize and -ise are acceptable in British English, and the -ize spellings were actually more common until relatively recently (from memory, I think there was a switch in the latter half of the 20th century, but my memory isn't what it used to be). If you don't want to take my word for it, you can take the Collins Dictionary's word instead, see point 8 here: https://blog.collinsdictionary.com/...erences-between-british-and-american-english/

But this idea that -ize spellings are exclusively American is now very widespread. In fact, I'd bet more Brits believe it than don't. I'm not sure why or how that happened, but I do have a pet theory. I recall using Word on my mum's Windows 3.1 PC back in the 1990s and being really annoyed that its spellcheck was wrong on this.

As I said, my memory ain't what it used to be, so take this with a pinch of salt. But if I'm correct, then the people who say "you can't use -ize in British English" are doing so because of an American company's incorrect take on British English spelling decades ago. Which would be kinda funny, really.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Sorry, I'm gonna bore everyone now - but as a word nerd, I can't help myself.

This idea that -ize spellings are exclusively American is untrue. Both the -ize and -ise are acceptable in British English, and the -ize spellings were actually more common until relatively recently (from memory, I think there was a switch in the latter half of the 20th century, but my memory isn't what it used to be). If you don't want to take my word for it, you can take the Collins Dictionary's word instead, see point 8 here: https://blog.collinsdictionary.com/...erences-between-british-and-american-english/

But this idea that -ize spellings are exclusively American is now very widespread. In fact, I'd bet more Brits believe it than don't. I'm not sure why or how that happened, but I do have a pet theory. I recall using Word on my mum's Windows 3.1 PC back in the 1990s and being really annoyed that its spellcheck was wrong on this.

As I said, my memory ain't what it used to be, so take this with a pinch of salt. But if I'm correct, then the people who say "you can't use -ize in British English" are doing so because of an American company's incorrect take on British English spelling decades ago. Which would be kinda funny, really.
F****n' hippie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here