Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop the boats

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
France is under no obligation to take them back. really just round them up as you put it, provide accomodation and process them as quickly as possible, let them work, is the best way to avoid legal aid and benefits. and if we're doing that we ought to have a reception centre and regular ferry from France to avoid the dangerous crossing.
Just the thing...a nice comfortable ferry crossing. We're supposed to be trying to deter or ideally stop them from coming here not encouage them!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
There are legal routes. Many people do arrive in the UK legally. Yes, the processing once here should be quicker, but the criminal gangs don't sell places on death-trap boats because the processing is slow! One reason for some (many?) of the boat passengers trying to get in illegally is to avoid processing.
what are the legal routes?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This 'legal route' claptrap is utter nonsense.

Failed applicants will still go via the traffickers, as will those knowing that their application will fail in the future.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Small Boat crossings by year

2018 - 299
2019 - 1,890
2020 - 8,466
2021 - 28,526
2022 - 45,755

So the same old supporters of this cabal and policy are still claiming that this isn't a planned policy, it's simply down to total and utter incompetence :dunce:

Figures weren't recorded prior to 2018 as before closing down all legal channels for asylum, stopping asylum applications from abroad, and cutting the vast majority of asylum processing staff, the numbers were negligible. Who knew :shrug:
Numbers maybe influenced by Brexit which became effective 31/12/ 2020

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Numbers maybe influenced by Brexit which became effective 31/12/ 2020
Yet another disadvantage of Brexit, one of the key arguments for which was that we would be able better to control immigration if we were free from the shackles of the EU. What a disingenuous claim that was. Immigration from the EU has certainly reduced but immigration from Non-EU countries has gone through the roof. What a shambles.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
To fix a problem you need to understand it & work with relevant interested parties to generate a strategy and implement the solution. The fact that the tories did none of these lays, the blame firmly at their door. What’s it like being an apologist for this bunch of corrupt racist wankers?
Meaningless soundbite which doesn't address any of the points I made in my post. Many countries across Europe have struggled and generally failed to stop flows of illegall immigration despite endless strategy meetings ... because once again, there are no easy solutions.

Also your 'fact' isn’t true . The UK government had numerous meetings with the French giving them millions to fund more police for patrolling beaches etc.

I have never said the Tories are doing a great job (obviously not)I was mearly reacting to a thread which is all about political point scoring using dead migrants.

What about an answer to my question? Does the EU/ member state governments also have blood on their hands for the thousands who have died in the Mediterranean?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Meaningless soundbite which doesn't address any of the points I made in my post. Many countries across Europe have struggled and generally failed to stop flows of illegall immigration despite endless strategy meetings ... because once again, there are no easy solutions.

Also your 'fact' isn’t true . The UK government had numerous meetings with the French giving them millions to fund more police for patrolling beaches etc.

I have never said the Tories are doing a great job (obviously not)I was mearly reacting to a thread which is all about political point scoring using dead migrants.

What about an answer to my question? Does the EU/ member state governments also have blood on their hands for the thousands who have died in the Mediterranean?
Quite possibly but blaming everyone else and trying to excuse the shit storm of incompetence by this government is just bollocks but par for the course for you.
The French offered to set up a base in France to process applicators etc. Boris said fine as long as the British military ran it. Never going to happen and he knew it.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Quite possibly but blaming everyone else and trying to excuse the shit storm of incompetence by this government is just bollocks but par for the course for you.
The French offered to set up a base in France to process applicators etc. Boris said fine as long as the British military ran it. Never going to happen and he knew it.

Blaming the criminal gangs putting desperate people in unsafe boats before governments is hardly bollox and once again I have never said the Tories are handling this issue well.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Blaming the criminal gangs putting desperate people in unsafe boats before governments is hardly bollox and once again I have never said the Tories are handling this issue well.
Criminal gangs were identified as one the issues of brexit. The Eu knew this, the French knew this and we knew this. A solution was offered by the former and made unworkable by the later. Personally I think people traffickers should be treated the same as drug traffickers.
Finally you have never condemned this bunch of corrupt grifters so here’s your chance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If they are asylum seekers, and not economic migrants, they should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. I'm not aware of Italy Greece and France being unsafe countries.
Why “should” they?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Time surely for the government to arrange for a daily ferry service so that brexit loving migrants can safely travel to the land of the free from France .

The average ferry should be able to transport approx 1000 people at a time which should be sufficient for now :thumbsup:
You love it. :)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Because he "wants" them to.
What I want is irrelevant. Why should they travel through several safe countries before claiming asylum? If they are in fear of persecution wouldn't it be sensible to claim asylum as soon as possible in the first safe country? If they are economic migrants they might make a different decision.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
What I want is irrelevant. Why should they travel through several safe countries before claiming asylum? If they are in fear of persecution wouldn't it be sensible to claim asylum as soon as possible in the first safe country? If they are economic migrants they might make a different decision.
Then get the Law changed, if you feel that strongly.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Criminal gangs were identified as one the issues of brexit. The Eu knew this, the French knew this and we knew this. A solution was offered by the former and made unworkable by the later. Personally I think people traffickers should be treated the same as drug traffickers.
Finally you have never condemned this bunch of corrupt grifters so here’s your chances

The French authorities are responsible for policing and countering crimnal gangs on their soil, us leaving the EU doesn't change that. Also, EU membership doesn't seem to make any difference in stopping the hundreds of thousands illegally entering the EU then travelling across the EU or stopping thousands of deaths in the Med. Nice try blaming Brexit though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here