Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very well said. History is practically just wars that are interrupted by peace. We've got so complacent about ever being involved in another major conflict we could be sleepwalking towards one that's potentially just around the corner. Not until peoples TVs turn off and they can't vote for Xfactor or Celebrity Jungle will half the population care what's going on in their country or the larger world. Bit late then.

Sleep-walking is the right expression. It's easy for people to feel everyone's being over-dramatic (I wonder myself sometimes) but I do think the world is now far more dangerous than any time since the 1980s and, arguably, since the 1930s. It seems there's a large, moderate section of society - me included - who are good at talking and 'tutting' about this stuff and a probably even larger section who would just stick their heads in the sand and prefer not to worry about it. By the time they come, finally, blinking into the light, the damage could be beyond repair. In the meantime, Trump and his ilk have shown how unacceptable behaviour can be adopted as mainstream perhaps far quicker than anyone expected. Where extremes lead, masses follow and, though they are still a minority combined, their drive to (re)create a world that favours them is powerful. There's clearly a need for a more frank and open debate about how countries should evolve and integrate new people and cultures but I have a hunch that the likes of Trump and Farage might not be the ideal figureheads to lead that movement....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think many Out voters have a problem with nice Spanish/Portuguese /Polish etc neighbours. What part of controlled immigration is hard to grasp.
Whilst you like me are sitting pretty in their own property, plenty of youngsters in their 20/30s are living with their parents and have no chance of getting their own property. Just paying very high rents if they can afford to move out.

Agreed. It's a shame successive British Governments have allowed the country to get into this state. I'm not sure how pulling out of the EU changes any of that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Of course people have the right to campaign for things they believe in. But this sets a dangerous precedent in that a relatively small pressure group can alter a policy of a large company with huge financial implications, especially if that company is part of the free press.

I genuinely don't get this statement. Doesn't that make it an effective protest rather than a dangerous precedent?

Lego are free to advertise with whoever they please. Pressure groups are free to protest peacefully. It's another essential part of that democracy everyone's so fond of banging on about.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Easy to ask now, isn't I?. Probably along with nearly everybody else on here I'd like to say yes - but on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if I, like many thousands of Germans back then, would be too f**king scared of being taken out and shot to do so.
So, exactly where would you be, eh? You have two choices only - no clever 'yes, but ifs' - speak out and wait for the secret police to come round and do you in - or just shut up? Seriously, which would you choose, honestly?

Isn't this precisely the reason why the looney-left, Guardian reading, lentil munching liberals so despised by The Daily Mail, get their knickers in a twist about high profile figures standing in front of fascist posters or making borderline fascist statements in election campaigns?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Isn't this thread just one big right wing flounce?

There is a delicious irony that those said right wingers are protecting that bastion of free speech by suggestion that the 'Stop Funding Hate' campaign are out of line and that somehow Lego are equally out of line by deciding to take their A&P Krone elsewhere??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Agreed. It's a shame successive British Governments have allowed the country to get into this state. I'm not sure how pulling out of the EU changes any of that.

The EU and immigrants are just a scapegoat for the failures of governments in the past few decades

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The EU and immigrants are just a scapegoat for the failures of governments in the past few decades

At least we can agree on the "
failures of governments in the last few decades", yet still people kept voting for them. Maybe it is down to the failures of the voters in the last few decades, keep voting them in.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Isn't this just tit for tat? The Mail didn't like Lineker's view on immigrants and pressured Walkers to remove him as their spokesman. People who don't like the Mail have done the same thing in reverse. Taste of their own medicine surely?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The EU and (unfettered) immigrants are the fault of governments over the past few decades.

From what I've read - and the numbers seem to stack up having checked elsewhere - net migration to this country in 2015 was around 160,000 people. That's adjusted to remove overseas students, who the Government (and newspapers) count as they're here for more than a year. However, they tend to go home after their studies - having contributed handsomely to the cost of running our universities (paying around 3x as much, apparently).

So, 160,000 people. That's 5-6 Amex Stadiums full with the whole country to fit them in.

I'd suggest that if our various political leaders are unable to maintain a system that can cope with that (bearing in mind that the vast majority of these immigrants are taxpayers too), then they're the ones who should be taking the flak.

It's a smokescreen that hides their own failings.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All I take from articles like that is that is further proof that society today has become so ridiculously pathetic and soft that the very idea that something has hurt someone's feeling or made them a little upset is virtually akin to murder.
It seems like we've bred a generation of people who believe they are blameless for anything in their life they don't like or disagree with. But are determined to be 'offended' by anything and everything at every possible opportunity.
The fact the thread is about a protest group against papers like the mail.....it's no surprise the numbers of complaints are up as there are so many more 'victims' of hurt feelings or even worse.....the offended!

But for that argument to hold water when talking about The Daily Mail specifically, then you'd expect The Sun with a larger readership and a similar worldview to have more complaints rather than approximately half the number.

The irony of you railing against a 'blameless' generation whilst defending The Daily Mail is ludicrous. Blame's alright as long as it is immigrants, brown people, the disabled, lefties, eurocrats or republicans being blamed, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From what I've read - and the numbers seem to stack up having checked elsewhere - net migration to this country in 2015 was around 160,000 people. That's adjusted to remove overseas students, who the Government (and newspapers) count as they're here for more than a year. However, they tend to go home after their studies - having contributed handsomely to the cost of running our universities (paying around 3x as much, apparently).

So, 160,000 people. That's 5-6 Amex Stadiums full with the whole country to fit them in.

I'd suggest that if our various political leaders are unable to maintain a system that can cope with that (bearing in mind that the vast majority of these immigrants are taxpayers too), then they're the ones who should be taking the flak.

It's a smokescreen that hides their own failings.
I am not the least interested in a snapshot of immigration. The simple fact is that there are too many people here in a small island with limited resources. I don't care what colour or race the people are either. We are so much more crowded in England than Germany or France or Spain who have far larger countries. Our population has jumped massively in the last twenty years, much driven by immigration, the immigrants also tend to be young and have bigger families. Not good in overcrowding terms. Why have we let our population grow about 8 million since 1980? Why else are house prices so prohibitive. It is a national disgrace.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
... Brexit showed that many of the areas that voted 'out' most overwhelmingly were those where there are the lowest concentrations of foreigners. It's not much of a jump to believe that's the same in some of the most rural areas of the USA. So what motivates many of those voters is actually fear, rather than personal experience - a fear whipped up by sections of the media in both countries. As for the worrying parallels, you really need it explained? The demonisation of sections of society based on race/religion as a focus for all our ills?

Or ... Brexit showed that some areas that voted out most overwhelmingly were those with higher concentrations of foreigners and had experienced large scale recent immigration. The top two for instance, Boston and South Holland. The next on the list (Castle Point, Thurrock) also either have 13% foreign born or are directly adjacent to areas that do have higher rates. It's a huge jump to make any sweeping, vague generalisations about the UK let alone about the US. Perhaps people who don't live in an area with high concentrations of foreigners may live next to them, travel through them, used to live in them, visit/experience them etc. So may have personal experience. Also not sure having personal experience of something is a necessary benchmark to form a reasonable opinion. Net Immigration rates have been unprecedented over the last decade, not being able to fully control the rate for even longer. I'm sure many people have genuine concerns about the impact of this rather than being influenced by sections of the media.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Or ... Brexit showed that some areas that voted out most overwhelmingly were those with higher concentrations of foreigners and had experienced large scale recent immigration. The top two for instance, Boston and South Holland. The next on the list (Castle Point, Thurrock) also either have 13% foreign born or are directly adjacent to areas that do have higher rates. It's a huge jump to make any sweeping, vague generalisations about the UK let alone about the US. Perhaps people who don't live in an area with high concentrations of foreigners may live next to them, travel through them, used to live in them, visit/experience them etc. So may have personal experience. Also not sure having personal experience of something is a necessary benchmark to form a reasonable opinion. Net Immigration rates have been unprecedented over the last decade, not being able to fully control the rate for even longer. I'm sure many people have genuine concerns about the impact of this rather than being influenced by sections of the media.
Unfortunately, the unwillingness of the ruling political class to contemplate restriction of immigration has allowed the more extreme to get a voice. I am very pleased that we have Brexit, but I am very concerned about the large swing to the right. Apologists for high immigration are still pedaling nonsense that those opposed due to jobs, housing, overcrowding are at best closet racists who don't like 'brown' skinned people.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Apologies if posted before but only just seen it .. rather entertaining with a couple of good points warning contains fruity language.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why have we let our population grow about 8 million since 1980?

Well one reason would be because people are living longer - maybe we should push them off a cliff at 70. And also because we require more young people of working age with the skills the country needs. Immigration will continue well beyond Brexit regardless.

As for population density, actually, England is pretty similar to Germany although you're right about the other 2. Of course, if we made more effort to improve the infrastructure right across the UK, that could be eased but, yes, the south is crowded. I suppose that's just the downside of being lucky enough to have been born in a successful nation. If it all goes tits up over the next 30 years, we'll probably have a bit more space.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Unfortunately, the unwillingness of the ruling political class to contemplate restriction of immigration has allowed the more extreme to get a voice. I am very pleased that we have Brexit, but I am very concerned about the large swing to the right. Apologists for high immigration are still pedaling nonsense that those opposed due to jobs, housing, overcrowding are at best closet racists who don't like 'brown' skinned people.

Peddling. Unless they're all cyclists :wink: And don't let's get started on them....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Apologies if posted before but only just seen it .. rather entertaining with a couple of good points warning contains fruity language.

Very good. Spot on about much of the current rubbish circulating ATM. I must admit I don't know who it is. My guess is a DJ in London? He, er, puts the point across quite strongly.

Love the quote ''Instead of persuading people to vote, she just courted celebrity endorsements as if the political acumen of Beyonce and Jayz count for anything'. Lol!

Great rant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here