Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wait, being progressive is a bad thing?

Being progressive is a very good thing. Allying with multinationals and attempting to censor newspapers is a bad thing. If Lego don't want to advertise in the Mail they should act on that and not renew their contract. I'm not sure why they should tell the world
other than as part of their public relations.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just been reading up on this utterly pathetic campaign.
Another bunch of idiotic politically correct morons labelling anything and everything they don't like or disagree with as "HATE" in some crusade against the free speech (and sometimes factually reporting) press!
These are the vocal minority who like to spout off about democracy and freedoms unless of course you dare to have the audacity to disagree with their right on beliefs.
Yet even now..especially this week they still cannot see the damage they do to their argument by thinking that labelling anything they dislike as 'hate' and labelling people who disagree with them as 'racists, bigots, blah blah blah'
These sort of people turned the Brexit vote into labelling war...deciding anyone voting to leave is racist and that they should in some way be morally ashamed......well look what happened there!!
Anyone who thought Trump should win the American election was labelled "Deplorable" and god knows what else....and look what happened there!
Couldn't really give a toss about the yanks election...I disliked both of them equally....however became sick to the back teeth of on a daily basis listening to some luvvie actor/actress/musician spouting off and taking the piss out of Trump because they think it's right on and makes them a 'great guy'!!
Supposedly fighting against 'hate'...or opinions that differ from theirs as we would call it!
However their 'hate' towards any paper they don't like is apparently....ok????

As compared to you, who clearly are open to all views except those that are different to yours. A democracy means free speech. The papers can print whatever they want, assuming it is within the law, but people have the right to protest. If there wasn't a lot of truth in the campaign, nothing would happen.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is when accompanied with the message "shut up and listen to our opinion only"

Emotive, but you can't support that statement with any quotes or actual facts. Much like the Brexit campaign running without actually saying what would happen, and Trump who was unable to vocalise actual policies and ideas.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At the risk of biting, do you not agree that people have the right to express their opinion? Democracy doesn't mean you have to take it on the chin and shut up about it.

Especially in the case of the Brexit lies, and the Trump campaign of hate. Would you have demonstrated against the Nazi party in Germany? Or would you have happily and blindly gone along with it, regardless of how you felt? If so, that says more about you than the people who take a passionate stance for what they believe in.

Also worth saying that more of the low turnout in America DID NOT vote for Trump, he got 200,000 fewer votes nationwide. At least Brexit actually won!
Of course people have the right to campaign for things they believe in. But this sets a dangerous precedent in that a relatively small pressure group can alter a policy of a large company with huge financial implications, especially if that company is part of the free press.

Your Brexit comment is very one sided. What about the lies that remain told. We haven't had economic meltdown as their 'experts' predicted, neither have we had an emergency budget and immediate tax rises as a result. And it was a lie to suggest that we were getting back almost £10 back from every £1 we put in.

Trump, and I must make it clear I did not want him to win, won fair and square. People keep banging on about the majority in the popular vote that Clinton enjoyed. The American election plays by those rules. It isn't simply a popularity contest like the referendum, if it was, both campaigns would have been different with different priorities and the votes for each candidate would have been different as well. It is impossible to extrapolate what the result would have been had the vote not been carried out with the college system.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would you have demonstrated against the Nazi party in Germany? Or would you have happily and blindly gone along with it, regardless of how you felt?

Easy to ask now, isn't I?. Probably along with nearly everybody else on here I'd like to say yes - but on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if I, like many thousands of Germans back then, would be too f**king scared of being taken out and shot to do so.
So, exactly where would you be, eh? You have two choices only - no clever 'yes, but ifs' - speak out and wait for the secret police to come round and do you in - or just shut up? Seriously, which would you choose, honestly?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Emotive, but you can't support that statement with any quotes or actual facts. Much like the Brexit campaign running without actually saying what would happen, and Trump who was unable to vocalise actual policies and ideas.
Not this again, the leave campaign could not possibly say what would happen because they were not in a position to do so. If they were a political party and in power, then yes, they could have. But they weren't. The referendum was fought on a simple question, stay or leave. No-one was asked do you want to stay if... do you want to leave if. It was always the way that if we voted leave, the government would have to make the path to Brexit. Often the same people complaining leave had no plan, then complain the government has no plan. To think like that shows fundamental misunderstanding of what was asked and where the power lies to carry out the action.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So it's subjective then as to whether it's good or bad?

Well of course it's subjective!

Hitler's Nazis probably thought they'd hit on the best idea for world order ever. We didn't agree. I personally believe it's completely evil to hack someone's head off because they don't share your religious views. Isis, on the other hand, think that's the right way to go.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The Mail and the Express have the right to promulgate their vile views, and readers have the right to subscribe to them - or reject them.

Similarly advertisers like Lego have the right to support these publications with advertising or alternatively to withdraw their funding.

Seems a pretty simple arrangement to me. I say well done Lego for taking a conscientious decision and it would be refreshing to see more big companies aligning their corporate philosophy with their media spend.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So Trump didn't vocalise (horrible expression) about building a wall along the Mexican frontier, or about banning Moslems from entering the USA? Sorry - I must have been watching the other Donald Trump - you know, the one who got elected to be the President of the USA.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Mail and the Express have the right to promulgate their vile views, and readers have the right to subscribe to them - or reject them.

Similarly advertisers like Lego have the right to support these publications with advertising or alternatively to withdraw their funding.

Seems a pretty simple arrangement to me. I say well done Lego for taking a conscientious decision and it would be refreshing to see more big companies aligning their corporate philosophy with their media spend.
Perhaps arms manufacturers would like to consider taking ethical decisions as to who they sell arms to as well?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
What Monkey Man said.

The Mail is free to print what it likes, people are free to urge companies not to advertise with them, and companies are free to decide if they want to heed that campaign or not.

Everyone's free - it's all good.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

So Lego made a conscientious decision and it was nothing to do with a pressure group?

Perhaps they'll make a conscientious decision to stop selling Lego in Pakistan then as I don't recall the daily mail calling for executions, even in their most vile moments.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This is all very silly.

Lego is Swedish and the Swedish are a stupid people.

The Mail and the mainstream media are disgraced and irrelevant. 2 national votes they failed to sway.

Breitbart now rule the world. Their editor who lead the Trump campaign is favourite to be White House chief of staff, their expose on bias on Facebook's trending news got the entire staff sacked(You may have noticed it changed a few weeks ago).The most politically influencial Brit, Nigel Farage regularly writes for it. Their hits have grown 30 fold over the last year and are now more popular than CNN or huffpost.

What is this Daily Mail you speak of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here