Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop Faroe Islands petition to Fifa and Uefa

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Not that I've any interest in this petition. Along the lines of other comments, you'd have to ban another 50 countries for similar ecological or ethical unpleasantries.

Britain threatening to break the Good Friday Agreement international treaty as it hadn't really thought Brexit through properly?

These kind of demands that everybody knows won't be implemented can be useful in raising awareness though. What ******* doesn't want the dolphins left alone

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Signed - I am bit disappointed with my NSC colleagues who seem to either want to poke fun or want to ignore this barbaric act - watch the video and maybe you will change your minds. If this petition helps stop this slaughter then it is the right thing to do . Those countries who kill whales for meat should also be included (note Japan has its own version of this dolphin slaughter).

People saying that we should keep sport and politics separate , well football is all about money as is politics and if someone did raise a petition to stop England partaking because of the badger cull I would quit happily sign that. You can only get decisions changed if you are violent or hit people in the pocket , i prefer the latter course of action.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shouldnt matter unless you are some kind of reversed Pol Pot.

I don't really understand your point Swanny, I'm afraid.

But, to be honest, I wasn't personally suggesting it DID matter - just answering the direct question, of 'what sets dolphins above tuna?' (in people's collective conscience)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I'm not going to write you a biology thesis, because after all, you have google, should you really wish to know the answer to that - but - in terms of brain to body ratio, learned skills, use of tools, communication skills, generational learning, social interaction, etc - quite a bit.

Many South Koreans eat dogs, but I don't see any petitions against Son Heung-Min playing in the PL, or calls for South Korea to be banned from tournaments.

This subject clearly has an infinite potential for general whataboutery. The main point is, its ridiculous for anyone to conflate a nations animal food/slaughter policy with its right to compete in UEFA / FIFA competitions. It'd be like banning Stephen Mulhern from Celebrity Masterchef because he skins guineapigs in his garage. The two things are in no way connected.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Keep politics out of football or else, where will it end?

China for the rohingya genocide, Iran, Iraq etc, there would be whole host of countries that will fall foul of someone's sensitivities.

What if the head of Fifa becomes a vegan and bans all players that eat meat?

I'm not condoning what the Faroe Islanders have done but it is their fishing waters and they've distributed the catch to the population for consumption.

Good enough. There is much inhumane practice and mistreatment of both humans and animals in the world so there is no reason to single this one out as something football should be addressing. If the OP feels strongly about it he should travel to the Faroe Islands to make his views known.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Signed - I am bit disappointed with my NSC colleagues who seem to either want to poke fun or want to ignore this barbaric act - watch the video and maybe you will change your minds. If this petition helps stop this slaughter then it is the right thing to do . Those countries who kill whales for meat should also be included (note Japan has its own version of this dolphin slaughter).

People saying that we should keep sport and politics separate , well football is all about money as is politics and if someone did raise a petition to stop England partaking because of the badger cull I would quit happily sign that. You can only get decisions changed if you are violent or hit people in the pocket , i prefer the latter course of action.

I don't think anybody is poking fun, are they? What is going on up there is horrific - as is the same slaughter in Japan, and similar with small whales and porpoises in Iceland. Nobody much disagrees - just do not agree that it has / or should have any connection with football.

Off the top of my head, once you've banned:
Faroes - whaling
Iceland - whaling
Japan - whaling
China - slaughter of everything that moves / human rights abuses
England - badger cull / fox hunting / persecution of birds of prey / violations of the Good Friday Agreement....

can I also propose, we ban:
Saudi Arabia - war in Yemen / human rights abuses
Bahrain - human rights
Israel - persecution of Palestine
Italy and Malta - indiscriminate slaughter of migratory birds
Canada - killing fluffy seals
USA - racial inequality
South Korea - eating dogs
North Korea - human rights abuse
Brazil - deforestation / persecution of indigenous peoples
Australia - open cast mining of scared aboriginal sites / inhumane treatment of refugees
Venezuela - human rights abuse
Russia - invasion Crimea / violations of international law / persecution of political opposition
Ukraine - persecution of political opposition
Turkey - ongoing human right violations / persecution of Kurdish peoples
Myanmar - ethnic cleansing
Bolivia - politically motivated killings
and a host of many, many more...

On the other hand, Scotland might just qualify for a tournament.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Would we be looking to ban one of the Big Money Countries from the Coif it was them hunting and killing dolphins for food. I very much doubt it.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Leave the Faroe Isles alone, they have been living off fish for centuries, and survived entire winters on whale meat, its a rugged and desolate land that is hard to grow anything but rhubarb, they also traditional burn dried out peat for warmth and cooking, and don't take kindly to snowflakes attempting to change their centurys old traditions and ways because dolphins look cute!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leave the Faroe Isles alone, they have been living off fish for centuries, and survived entire winters on whale meat, its a rugged and desolate land that is hard to grow anything but rhubarb, they also traditional burn dried out peat for warmth and cooking, and don't take kindly to snowflakes attempting to change their centurys old traditions and ways because dolphins look cute!

they’re going to have to knock THAT on the head, too. Terrible for the environment and for global warming, that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

and there used to be public executions in this country are you suggesting that they should be reinstated. They believe its their heritage and right to kill dolphins nothing to do with livelihoods they probably would make more money out of whale watching. They need to move into the modern era...

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This is a highly laudable attempt to put pressure on the Faroes to stop the wanton slaughter of seaborn mammals, be they pilot whales or dolphins. These creatures are certainly not fish and the mass cruelty involved is despicable....
But.... it has got a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. Fifa will not get involved in such matters and many will argue that they should not. No ,football and sport are separate from such things.
There has to be a better way to pressure them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here