Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Stonehenge tunnel, the best way to spend £1.7B of public money?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It seems there's always money for London-centric projects; the A303 being one of the "London to the West Country" routes. See also A23 improvements vs cancelled A27 projects.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
When labour get into power they will face the same demands from the various groups / people who will want / demand an upgrade to this, that other road. Will be interesting to see how they manage. Personally, the Arundel by pass is hugely needed as it takes out a ridiculous bottle neck but if the government are going to postpone this on the grounds of cost then there is feck all chance Worthing is going to get one as that is going to be billions.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would it not be much cheaper to just build a new road taking the traffic away from the site?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
If I was a betting man I’d say all the Tory donors/mp’s who have enough to have second mansions in Cornwall but not enough to commute by helicopter have pushed for this.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Trouble is Husty it won't be on time and absolutely no where £1.7B on final spend for these projects never are.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Why not just plant some trees and bushes alongside the existing road to prevent traffic slowing rubber-necking?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I accept your point it's as you know projects like this never run to budget. £1.7B might be July 23 costs but let's say they actually start March 24 we know that costs will have increased.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’d be ok if they looked after it. We now have rail and road networks collapsing due to insufficient resourcing but appear to be quite happy spending billions on HS2, tunnels and so called smart motorways claiming they are our future. The wrong people are running this country because the ones that are have forgotten the present.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Or build a new henge out of a sensible modern material and rip out the old one.
That was basically done in the 1900's. The current henge is only an idea of what it may have looked like.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Q
That was basically done in the 1900's. The current henge is only an idea of what it may have looked like.
Quite possibly...

I've often thought that the rebuild is just one blokes idea of what he thought it should look like, rather than what it actually looked like...

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It’d be ok if they looked after it. We now have rail and road networks collapsing due to insufficient resourcing but appear to be quite happy spending billions on HS2, tunnels and so called smart motorways claiming they are our future. The wrong people are running this country because the ones that are have forgotten the present.
The henge is a bit of a wreck these days as well, and no longer fit for purpose.

Pull it down and replace with a proper sundial that actually works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here