Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Stonehenge tunnel, the best way to spend £1.7B of public money?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a drop in the ocean compared to the spend on HS2 - that could have fixed umpteen bypasses up and down the country, including the Stonehenge Tunnel.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Living about an hour from it, and using A303 regularly, I am a yes. The stretch to/from Sparkford is being upgraded to two lanes each way and this will reduce the amount of the road that is not dual carriageway to minimum.

I am probably missing something but I thought the main aim was to protect Stonehenge yet there seems to be a lot of opposition (including UNESCO). The construction process will clearly be intrusive, but surely short term pain for long term gain for the monument?

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
A wall that blocks the view to help stop people driving without due care and attention would do the job.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Would it not be much cheaper to just build a new road taking the traffic away from the site?
Or a new henge?

it's not even the oldest one. Make a concrete and glass henge over the road and be done with it.

Or

use a bloody calendar.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Or a new henge?

it's not even the oldest one. Make a concrete and glass henge over the road and be done with it.

Or

use a bloody calendar.
It's an interesting take on human psychology is Stonehenge. If no-one had ever been told it was important it would be seen as just a pile of large stones.

I've only driven past it once and was surprisingly 'meh' about it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so there is no worthier recipient of 1.8 billion pounds currently in the UK ....really ...?? i find that hard to believe , do some digging ( pun intended) into who the contracts are being awarded too ....follow the money , it will be just another rort to drain the public purse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
so there is no worthier recipient of 1.8 billion pounds currently in the UK ....really ...?? i find that hard to believe , do some digging ( pun intended) into who the contracts are being awarded too ....follow the money , it will be just another rort to drain the public purse.

£100b and growing fast, on a train line to slightly speed up London to Brum/Manchester times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£100b and growing fast, on a train line to slightly speed up London to Brum/Manchester times.
And potentially obsolete before it's finished! (Yeah I know but what's a little hyperbole among friends)

Love how giddy with excitement this fella gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here