Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Hardly an open goal. Took a yellow card for the team, played a couple of decent balls and linked up play. Not really sure why he gets so much grief. Not like he’s had a decent run in the team.
I was there and it was basically an open goal. He doesn’t take a lot of grief from the crowd but is nowhere near a PL striker. Not sure he is championship tbh!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Just got back home from the match which was a terrible, terrible game. It was as bad as some of the worst in the early days at the Amex when Poyet was in charge. We just hung onto the ball for the sake of it. There was no imagination, no invention and we seem to be going backwards in style as well as in practice. Tonight we had three gears, slow, slower and backwards. What has happened to the slick interchanges out wide, do we miss Trossard that much that we have changed our style so much?
As for man of the match, it would be very difficult to pick one.
For me it was like watching the 5th form taking on the fourth form at school. Everyone posing around opting for the easy ball to feet, stop, look up, sideways, sideways, backwards and repeat.
God, it was crap.
I got home an hour ago after negotiating the M6 closure. i tend to agree with all of this (except the Poyet bit)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just got back home from the match which was a terrible, terrible game. It was as bad as some of the worst in the early days at the Amex when Poyet was in charge. We just hung onto the ball for the sake of it. There was no imagination, no invention and we seem to be going backwards in style as well as in practice. Tonight we had three gears, slow, slower and backwards. What has happened to the slick interchanges out wide, do we miss Trossard that much that we have changed our style so much?
For me it was like watching the 5th form taking on the fourth form at school. Everyone posing around opting for the easy ball to feet, stop, look up, sideways, sideways, backwards and repeat.
God, it was crap.
Just in. Harsh. Wasn’t great but given we were missing two of our consistently best players this season and the cloggers seemed intent on kicking us off the pitch at times it wasn’t anywhere near ‘some of the worst’. We saw far worse under Hughton towards the end, under Potter during his long winless spells etc.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I found the Palace game far more depressing than tonight. We were sloppy but it wasn't all bad and invaluable minutes for the young players against a tough Stoke side.

Credit to Stoke, they were organised and pressed us well first half forcing some really sloppy passes which likely results in us conceding against a PL side.

God, it was crap.
Agree with this. Although we never looked in danger apart from their 1 chance in each half we didn't get out of 1st gear for most of the match. I think Mitoma was probably the best player on the pitch for his little bits of pace and skill he showed.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
The open goal where it wouldn’t even have been a half chance had he not won the ball and created the chance himself and where he was off balance and a touch would have given the keeper time to get back? That one?
Yeah the one where the goal was open and he missed. He’s a premier league centre forward you twonk.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
In fairness, when Lamptey went down after a tiny brush there were more rolls than the local bakery.
To be fair to him he got f all from the ref in first half, stoke at every player and the ref let everything go on him. The roll in the box was ott though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It was a crap game. We were sloppy. We won.

If this is our poor run of results - and every team always suffers that - then we’re doing well.

It was hardly the first eleven on the pitch either. It is showing up some weaknesses in attacking options. Maybe RDZ wanted to demonstrate that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not a great game but not terrible either. Winning is what mattered and that was delivered.

Stoke looked decent and should be able to climb in the Championship.
Very decent on the press but less chance of scoring than Guppy in Berlin

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well the ground seems to have improved re corners filled in and new seats and disabled areas all round - but the team the locals up there go to watch has got worse to me - bits of it seemed like a training ground game in slow motion - they tried to target Dunk all game and he still made the chance for the goal - one match from Wembley now as RDZ said recently ...
Shame the don’t fill in the rest of the city.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Saw it on tv ... We won! That is what counts in Cup games and we are in the QF.. However, not a classic performance, it’s a good job Ferguson can score. Still , it is just what you would expect from a cold Tuesday in Stoke. We did the job, now onwards.......

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I thought it was a classic job done performance. Stoke did a really good job. Their pressing was highly organised and energetic and was as effective as pretty much any that we've faced this season. They worked their nuts off and had more chances than either Fulham or Palace had. They made it very difficult for us to get into any sort of rhythm but with that all said we were still the better team and in control for the vasy majority of the game.

We can't and won't win every game by a handful of goals. We did what we needed to and are now in the quarter finals for the third time in six seasons. Job done. :shrug:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This is absolutely it. To be fair Alex Neill is a clever manager and he absolutely targeted Dunk, trying to make him play on his left.

I agree Colwill likely to come straight back in when available.

A left sided centre back is absolutely the top priority signing in the summer. In fact I predict we'll try to sign two of them. I can see Webby and Van Hecke moving on in the summer.
A fairly grim game to watch on the telly, however, we won and some of the youngsters got a run out. I thought Jason Steele was the epitome of calm and gave a very assured performance although he wasn’t put under a lot of pressure.
It is apparent that RDZ doesn’t see Webbo as integral to his way of playing, unlike Potter. That and his unfortunate propensity to get injured has hampered him. Like you, I can see him moving on in the summer. I can’t see him being happy to be a bench warmer and I am sure he will get snapped up, providing he can stay injury free in the meantime. Think we will keep Van Hecke as he is a promising young player, but he could go out on loan, maybe, depending on recruitment in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here