Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke City Fan. The Cup

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Hove Stokie here

Ok guys read some of the more "mature" posts from last night ( The cyber warriors obviously banished to bed ready for school today) and thanks for some acknowledgement of what we have achieved against all the odds.

We are not a big club, pretty much on a par with Brighton really once you are safely moved into the new ground. We mix it with the big boys and hold our own, something you can certainly aspire to and achieve in the next few years if you can hold onto your young team and keep Poyet at the helm.

I wanted this draw badly so i'm very pleased. Would have preferred it down here for obvious reasons but I will travel up to the game with a couple of Brighton fans ( their car ) and will enjoy the walk back if we win or the 3 hours of hell as a passenger if we lose. This really is what the magic of the FA cup is about.

Although I believe it will be close, I think we will win to be fair, if we turn up on the day but anything can happen in a one off game. Unless you have the quality of Arsenal, Chelsea of Man U, although admiral in its quality, your passing game with struggle against our solid defence and the gulf in fitness between Premier League and lower leagues is simply massive so expect your team to fade midway through the second half so you will need to grab a couple of goals early doors to have a chance of holding on. But hey what do I know!

Stoke is not that bad a place to travel to and providing you don't go "lording" it around the town before the game you will have a peaceful experience and be able to enjoy a pre match pint in most pubs without any atmosphere of potential violence. If your driving I would recommend booking in advance the official car park next to the ground ( £10 I think ) as other than that their isn't much parking close. There are 2 pubs right next to the ground which you will be made very welcome in. 95% of Stoke fans are very friendly, knowledgable and contrary to belief don't have 6 fingers and an eye in the middle of their forehead! ( Ok some do but thats the other 5%)

I think Pulis will go for this one with a full team as our Premier league survival looks easily on course for another season and hey why not go for it and a day out at Wembley for the long suffering fans.

Still routing for you as my " second " team and looking forward to next season when I will help swell the numbers in your new stadium on occasions and will be shouting for you. Don't think I wil ever convert teams as that should be against the law but do like to see my local team doing well.

Best wishes

Joe B

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Got to say I like to see Stoke do well because it could be us in a few years, similar sized stadium and all that. Thanks for the tip on the car park (as opposed to the car park on a tip). One request - can't you do the standard Premiership thing and field your reserves and say you don't give a toss about the Cup? Otherwise I'm going to hope you go on a losing streak between now and the Cup game so that Pulis can say he's 'concentrating on the League'.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Got to say I like to see Stoke do well because it could be us in a few years, similar sized stadium and all that. Thanks for the tip on the car park (as opposed to the car park on a tip). One request - can't you do the standard Premiership thing and field your reserves and say you don't give a toss about the Cup? Otherwise I'm going to hope you go on a losing streak between now and the Cup game so that Pulis can say he's 'concentrating on the League'.

Earlier rounds Pulis does field a weakened team. I think now that we are getting to the business end of the competition, and with the utmost respect to Brighton, I think he will feel confident of winning this one on home soil and will field a full team. The last thing he will want is a draw hence the full first team, and you probably feel the same with your priority being promotion. God forbid you win it but we are definitely not unbeatable by any team.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Earlier rounds Pulis does field a weakened team. I think now that we are getting to the business end of the competition, and with the utmost respect to Brighton, I think he will feel confident of winning this one on home soil and will field a full team. The last thing he will want is a draw hence the full first team, and you probably feel the same with your priority being promotion. God forbid you win it but we are definitely not unbeatable by any team.

With a match at Arsenal the following Tuesday, and with us potentially playing Plymouth at home on the Monday, I suspect both managers will put out teams with 7/8 regulars plus a few squad players.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think Stoke will win this one but not too easily. Seems that over the years a lot of Stoke fans have said nice things about us and I admire the way they stay in the Premier League seemigly just to annoy the 'Big Boys'. Keep it up I say, you and Blackpool are an inspiration to clubs like us.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
JoeB... why the hell doesn't Pulis play Tuncay?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The rest of Joe's post I can understand, but why on earth would there be a gulf in fitness between the Football League and the Premier League? Part time non league clubs perhaps, but i don't see why the Football League would be less fit (if anything they should be more fit due to chasing around all the aimless hoofs for 90 minutes).

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Good post but as Edna says, not sure about the gulf in fitness. If we get our passing game going then I don't think we will have any worries on that front.

Will be a great test for all the players to see if they can break down a decent quality Premiership team. Championship clubs have prooved ok so far but this will be a huge leap, especially on your own patch. Wasn't pleased when the draw was made but looking forward to it more and more now

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't see Pulis putting out more than 6 of his first team from whatever the preceding Premiership games is to the Cup match. Yes, their survival is looking good (like Brovian, I will now be watching for them to lose a few now) and they will start to take the Cup seriously now the latter stages are approaching, but not yet, not against a League One side.

I think Pulis will still expect to win a home tie against us with a side that is predominantly reserves, alongside 3 or 4 first teamers, with other first teamers on the bench just in case. He'll think that'll be enough, and he's probably right .... but only "probably."

As for the reaction yesterday, I actually think that was an understandable kneejerk reaction to be disappointed as it's neither a glamour trip, nor a solid chance to progress. But the slagging off of everything Stoke for a while on here was just tiresome, and the puffing chests out talking us up as virtual favourites, or having to rest players against the cloggers of Stoke, was just plain embarrassing.

30 mins after the draw and we are already worrying about those big boys playing too tough .... jees, do we ever wonder how our reputation is formed?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The rest of Joe's post I can understand, but why on earth would there be a gulf in fitness between the Football League and the Premier League? Part time non league clubs perhaps, but i don't see why the Football League would be less fit (if anything they should be more fit due to chasing around all the aimless hoofs for 90 minutes).

Better athletes aren't they, that's what you need to be in the top leagues these days. It's why some managers fill their squads with Africans built like brick shithouses who aren't far off 100 meter runners. Over the last 10 years under fergie man utd are considered to have one of the fittest teams, their trophies are no coincidence

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London

Agreed, find this a very odd thing to say, and about the 3rd time i've heard it over the weekend. Premiership players are perhaps slightly fitter than some league 1 & 2 players, but huge a gulf in fitness i doubt ???

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
stoke suck balls booo!!!

i joke, i joke :D

i think it will be a good match pretty close first half, but yeh fitness will most likely prevail, will be a good game :)

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
I appreciate what Stoke have achieved over the last couple of seasons, and wish them well.... with their Premier League campaign.
I don't think fitness will be such an issue with this Albion side- it's not like Butters and Mayo are still zimmering their way around the pitch

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Stoke is not that bad a place to travel to and providing you don't go "lording" it around the town before the game you will have a peaceful experience and be able to enjoy a pre match pint in most pubs without any atmosphere of potential violence.

Unfortuneately Joebanana's description doesn't tie up with my experience of Stoke.
Hope for a better visit this time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can I just ask about booking in advance for the car park...how does one do that? contact Stoke City direct?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
im too glad that teams like stoke and Blackpool are doing well for themselves, to be honest i expected both teams to come straight down .
as for the draw this is a real chance for Brighton to progress the the last eight.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Well it's a ground we've been to loads of times before and we'll probably lose. Would have been nice to get a new place to visit or a home game against a top side. If you disagre I apologise but have no interest in arguing on in the internet. Have a nice day. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here