Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke - £10 return

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
You, Sir (or madam), are a star. Thanks for this.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
... except there don't seem to be any London Midland trains back from Stoke after the match - last one is 16.54, then Virgin trains only. Seems odd, but both their site and National rail site say the same. Hmmmm ...

There are a couple of other challenging restrictions:-

4.To obtain your ticket(s), you will need to hand in your Great Escape voucher (and pay the appropriate fare) at any ticket office on the London Midland network. You won’t be able to buy Great Escape tickets over the telephone or online, and no tickets will be issued without a voucher. If you are exchanging your voucher on the day of travel and there are no ticket office facilities at your station, you may purchase your ticket from the conductor on board the train.

7.There is a quota of tickets available each day and once this has been reached, the date will be removed from the 'drop down' list.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
There are a couple of other challenging restrictions:-

4.To obtain your ticket(s), you will need to hand in your Great Escape voucher (and pay the appropriate fare) at any ticket office on the London Midland network. You won’t be able to buy Great Escape tickets over the telephone or online, and no tickets will be issued without a voucher. If you are exchanging your voucher on the day of travel and there are no ticket office facilities at your station, you may purchase your ticket from the conductor on board the train.

7.There is a quota of tickets available each day and once this has been reached, the date will be removed from the 'drop down' list.

I think no. 7 means that they count how many vouchers they generate, as the voucher specifies which day you're going to travel (though no money actually changes hands until you buy tickets). So, having printed one off, I think I can turn up at Euston on the day without worrying that they'll put up the 'sold out' shutters ... (living in London btw).

Will take a while, though. Need to change at Northampton on the way back. Question is: is the saving worth the inconvenience?

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
London Midland are draconian in their policy of not accepting Virgin tickets on their trains and Virgin have adopted a similar policy of not accepting London Midland Tickets;
Make sure your ticket is flexible if you are in any doubt.
LM trains are poor in comparison to Virgin and this will be a slow multi stopping journey!

... except there don't seem to be any London Midland trains back from Stoke after the match - last one is 16.54, then Virgin trains only. Seems odd, but both their site and National rail site say the same. Hmmmm ...

There is a 17.54 and 18.54 from Stoke to Northampton (arriving at 19.41 and 20.39 respectively). You can travel on those trains, but would have to pay separately for the onward journey south of Northampton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Uncle Buck said a change at Derby was also in order?

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
There is a 17.54 and 18.54 from Stoke to Northampton (arriving at 19.41 and 20.39 respectively). You can travel on those trains, but would have to pay separately for the onward journey south of Northampton.

There are London Midland trains at 20:00 & 21:00 from Northampton to Euston arriving at 21:09 & 22:11.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
There are London Midland trains at 20:00 & 21:00 from Northampton to Euston arriving at 21:09 & 22:11.

So does that mean the vouchers will cover the entire journey back? EDIT: Scratch that, its 10 pounds for unlimited travel, as long as there is a London Midland train going from one destination to another then i'm sorted.

EDIT: Also what do the vouchers look like? Does it have the dotted line around the edge? I only ask because I don't have a printer so took a screen shot and will cut it all out and trim it down to size later, but would like to know what bits i'm trimming. Ta.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Unlimited Off-peak travel, so i'm looking at the offpeak tickets on the London Midland website, and there are at least 5 or 6 trains after the game you can get, to London Euston.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
London Midland are draconian in their policy of not accepting Virgin tickets on their trains and Virgin have adopted a similar policy of not accepting London Midland Tickets;
Make sure your ticket is flexible if you are in any doubt.
LM trains are poor in comparison to Virgin and this will be a slow multi stopping journey!

I saw one of these, too. But no direct route back after the game. The 09.46 from Euston to Stoke-On-Trent takes an hour longer than the Virgin trains after it, so the Midland trains are SLOW. Would be worth it if there was a London Midland train back after the game.

Anyone know what the penalty fare would be if you 'accidentally' jumped on a Virgin trains service back to London?

Last edited:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Also what do the vouchers look like? Does it have the dotted line around the edge? I only ask because I don't have a printer so took a screen shot and will cut it all out and trim it down to size later, but would like to know what bits i'm trimming. Ta.

The document generated is two pages. First, a voucher with dotted line around it & white space. Second page is T&Cs.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
They're not London Midland services, though. So cheap tickets not allowed on them...

Ah yes you're right.

But you can do Stoke-Northampton then Northampton-Euston on LM and because its unlimited offpeak travel (which their site is saying allows these trains) 18:51, 19:05, 19:31 or the 20:00 to Euston on this deal.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Ah yes you're right.

But you can do Stoke-Northampton then Northampton-Euston on LM and because its unlimited offpeak travel (which their site is saying allows these trains) 18:51, 19:05, 19:31 or the 20:00 to Euston on this deal.

It takes two hours from Stoke to Northampton!!! Bloody hell :)

That doesn't sound too bad. Wasn't originally considering going as was looking a bit too expensive, but if I do this it could work! Travelling from southampton so would cost bit more doing the southwest journey but is much cheaper than original prices I saw! Very Very tempted to go now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here