Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I do get frustrated by people who comment about goal keeping with out any real understanding of the position. This is just a general moan I sometimes have. My biggest annoyance is the phrase "routine save" or "you would expect him to get to save that ..".

If a save is made to look routine it is almost certainly down to the skill of the keeper to get both his positioning and handling spot on. For me the best saves aren't the full length dives but the ones where the ball has to be gathered that is coming at you along the ground at great speed. Try it - it is very difficult.

I know this moan is probably boring everyone who reads this but it is just a big chip I have on my shoulder!! Yes I was a goalkeeper (both football and hockey)

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
What on earth was he doing with that first goal, as if his pass to Mackie wasn't bad enough he then appeared to just stand and watch as the ball flew past him. One of the strangest bits of keeping I've ever seen.

Undoubtedly has talent but wow this fella makes a lot of mistakes

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What on earth was he doing with that first goal, as if his pass to Mackie wasn't bad enough he then appeared to just stand and watch as the ball flew past him. One of the strangest bits of keeping I've ever seen.

I know we don't criticise Ince but he saw the pass coming and turned away. My question is what was he doing? As an aside, it's one of my pet-peeves 'keepers that don't move to stop a shot.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
did anyone see Courtois' error for PSG's 2nd last night - came for the corner, changed his mind & was in no mans land.. Stockdale gets slated for this sort of thing - goal keeping errors do happen

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Clearly that goal was down to Ince - maybe why CH dropped him :shrug: feel free to apologise over you opening post in this thread of course and accept the points he was won the team recently

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If only we had Lee Grant. Playing for a top team and NEVER make a mista....

Oh... :jester:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If only we had Lee Grant. Playing for a top team and NEVER make a mista....

Oh... :jester:
Or the Hull goalie who (according to the radio) conceded a howler to ruin Hull's effort against Chelsea yesterday...

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Clearly that goal was down to Ince - maybe why CH dropped him :shrug: feel free to apologise over you opening post in this thread of course and accept the points he was won the team recently

I am delighted he had a good game on Saturday and kept a clean sheet. However as recently as our last home game he made an absolute howler and cost us three points. I'm sure he has the ability to be a top keeper but no one can deny he has made a staggering number of mistakes this season.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I am delighted he had a good game on Saturday and kept a clean sheet. However as recently as our last home game he made an absolute howler and cost us three points. I'm sure he has the ability to be a top keeper but no one can deny he has made a staggering number of mistakes this season.

Or...he gained us a point with the saves he made! Works both ways you see

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Or the Hull goalie who (according to the radio) conceded a howler to ruin Hull's effort against Chelsea yesterday...

Or De Gea who let in a soft chance at his front post yesterday.

Not to mention the two howlers in the Hull vs Chelsea game yesterday.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

3 points from one error?
That takes some doing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
3 points from one error?
That takes some doing.

Could if we were winning 1- 0 and he allowed the opponents to equalise and then get a winner being pedantic is that 1 point cost as without the howler would have been a draw or 3 points dropped because the howler lets the others back in. Thankfully at the moment the saves are exceeding the errors.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You have seen the replays I assume and also the admission from the Wolves player. But still had the ball been crossed in properly and they scored it would still have been a howler in some posters eyes, as well as those idiots on SCR.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do you honestly think that Wolves goal wasn't a keeping error?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - he was set for the cross where the ball should have gone, the Wolves player miss hit the cross and Stockdale could not get back in time to save the ball - unlucky - certainly, a howler - nope I don't think it was, goal keeping error - maybe but one any keeper in the land could and probably would have made. If Stockdale was perfect he would have been playing in the Nou Camp last night.

Anybody who has played any ball sport will know that it is difficult to adjust when a ball is miss hit and end up going in a different direction that was initially read, even a minor variation.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Damned if you do, damned if you don't - he was set for the cross where the ball should have gone, the Wolves player miss hit the cross and Stockdale could not get back in time to save the ball - unlucky - certainly, a howler - nope I don't think it was, goal keeping error - maybe but one any keeper in the land could and probably would have made. If Stockdale was perfect he would have been playing in the Nou Camp last night.

Anybody who has played any ball sport will know that it is difficult to adjust when a ball is miss hit and end up going in a different direction that was initially read, even a minor variation.

I understand what you are saying but he had so much time to adjust that it really was a howler. Every keeper in our division would expect to save that. Our manager even called it a mistake. Anyway we could go on and on, I really do hope he becomes a top keeper for us, he certainly has the potential. I confess my opening post was over the top I was just frustrated and a little inebriated! I'm not anti Stockdale, I'm just anti keeping errors which cost us points!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I understand what you are saying but he had so much time to adjust that it really was a howler. Every keeper in our division would expect to save that. Our manager even called it a mistake. Anyway we could go on and on, I really do hope he becomes a top keeper for us, he certainly has the potential. I confess my opening post was over the top I was just frustrated and a little inebriated! I'm not anti Stockdale, I'm just anti keeping errors which cost us points!

He gained us a point in that game. He was absolutely superb & MoM apart from that moment & 'every other keeper in the division' that I can think of would have let another one or two goals in at least

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

My understanding is that, whatever else you do as a keeper, you cover your near post. At least that gives them a good chance to miss beyond the far post. He got beaten at his near post.

He's not perfect of course - no-one is - and one of the irritating aspects of the Sky-era over-analysis of everything is that goalkeeping mistakes - like referees' mistakes - tend to get over-emphasized: every keeper makes them.

But I do worry that, for all of his terrific shot-stopping, he might be neglecting the basics somewhere, just like he did vs Wolves. But he's still fairly young, hopefully he'll continue to learn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here