Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale today

Feb 14, 2010
Stockdale was poor last season. It is early in the season but it seems he has started well this season after working hard in the summer. He will be judged on how he performs as he was last season. Last season the fans rightly spotted that he made mistake after mistake and was poor, If this season he plays well then the fans will recognise that. It is in his hands. Good or bad people will call it how it is.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
In my opinion he had a fantastic game, I think he could have got on the score sheet as well , when just before half time they had a free kick close to the half way line and their keeper took it and sent it straight to Stocky he should have lobbed a long ball straight back down the pitch. Their Kepler would not have got back in time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think a lot of the views on Stockdale are quite narrow, both the positive and the negative (they'll be back!). What most people seem to agree on is that when he's good, he's very good but even when he's good, there's a risk he's going to do something stupid and cost us a goal. He gets beaten too easily at times (Tuesday night), but then will be fantastic in other games, like he was today. It's that lack of consistency which frustrates people, myself included.

It's not his fault, I'll always blame Michel Kuipers. Nobody will live up to that standard.

Lack of consistency cannot really be tolerated in goal so hopefully he keeps this up

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think a lot of the views on Stockdale are quite narrow, both the positive and the negative (they'll be back!). What most people seem to agree on is that when he's good, he's very good but even when he's good, there's a risk he's going to do something stupid and cost us a goal. He gets beaten too easily at times (Tuesday night), but then will be fantastic in other games, like he was today. It's that lack of consistency which frustrates people, myself included.

It's not his fault, I'll always blame Michel Kuipers. Nobody will live up to that standard.

Are you seriously suggesting that Kuipers is our best keeper in recent years? Roberts was comfortably better as was Kuszczak and I would say that Stockdale is significantly better too. Kuipers was great for us but the real issue is that some people are so blinded by Kuipers (and could never see his faults) that they seem to criticise other keepers as a result.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stockdale was poor last season. It is early in the season but it seems he has started well this season after working hard in the summer. He will be judged on how he performs as he was last season. Last season the fans rightly spotted that he made mistake after mistake and was poor, If this season he plays well then the fans will recognise that. It is in his hands. Good or bad people will call it how it is.

This is what frustrates me. He had a mixed season last year, making some mistakes but also winning us crucial points. He was not poor. Our strikers who hardly scored were poor. Our defence, which was in the top 8 in the league despite us finishing 20th, were not poor.

As for yesterday, can't believe Stockdale didn't get man of the match. LuaLua scored but, if it wasn't for Stockdale, we'd have been two down before we got a chance to score. Also made some impressive punches under pressure, especially in the second half.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Are you seriously suggesting that Kuipers is our best keeper in recent years? Roberts was comfortably better as was Kuszczak and I would say that Stockdale is significantly better too. Kuipers was great for us but the real issue is that some people are so blinded by Kuipers (and could never see his faults) that they seem to criticise other keepers as a result.
Kuipers distribution was ledge. Both touch lines were hit accurately.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

With the over the top criticism Stockdale gets on here and other social media sites I find myself watching goals on the tv and comparing them to Stockdale "errors". Every weekend without fail you see keepers getting beaten exactly the same way Stockdale has in the past and very rarely does the commentator say "that's a keeper error".

Feb 14, 2010
With the over the top criticism Stockdale gets on here and other social media sites I find myself watching goals on the tv and comparing them to Stockdale "errors". Every weekend without fail you see keepers getting beaten exactly the same way Stockdale has in the past and very rarely does the commentator say "that's a keeper error".

Sorry but don't re write history. He made mistake after mistake after mistake last season. He got and deserved the opinions formed about his keeping last season. He has started well this season, perhaps he will turn it around. We all very much hope so and he has started well.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sorry but don't re write history. He made mistake after mistake after mistake last season. He got and deserved the opinions formed about his keeping last season. He has started well this season, perhaps he will turn it around. We all very much hope so and he has started well.

Complete rubbish. He made a couple of mistakes but also won us games later in the season. As Gazwag says there are a number of goals that were put down as mistakes by so called fans (like you) which wouldn't have been counted as mistakes for Kuipers or Kuszczak. It's pathetic to be honest.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
The Championship stats twitter account has just put some stats from yesterday. 4 saves 4 punches , 100% throw accuracy, 100% claim success, 83% kicking accuracy, and 1 clean sheet.

Feb 14, 2010
Complete rubbish. He made a couple of mistakes but also won us games later in the season. As Gazwag says there are a number of goals that were put down as mistakes by so called fans (like you) which wouldn't have been counted as mistakes for Kuipers or Kuszczak. It's pathetic to be honest.

So you think the views of many many people who watched last season including people who have watched football for probably longer than you might have years on the earth are "complete rubbish". Breathtaking conviction that your view is the only view that counts and I do not agree with you. He got stick because he was rubbish last season. This season, we shall see, but he has started well.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So you think the views of many many people who watched last season including people who have watched football for probably longer than you might have years on the earth are "complete rubbish". Breathtaking conviction that your view is the only view that counts and I do not agree with you. He got stick because he was rubbish last season. This season, we shall see, but he has started well.

He got a lot of stick because people for some reason didn't warm to him and he made a couple of early mistakes so almost any goal he conceded became his fault. Considering how terrible we were last year, if Stockdale was that bad we wouldn't have had such a good defensive record (our defensive record last season is fact, not opinion).

To say he made mistake after mistake is complete rubbish (in fact that might be being kind to you). Although it is nice to see you giving an opinion on something other than our crowds and how we are so big we should be Champions League winners.

Feb 14, 2010
He got a lot of stick because people for some reason didn't warm to him

No he didnt. I can tell you that some people I know who will have been watching this club for longer than most here have lived and who do not give stick to any player, but who obviously form an opinion from what they see, formed the view that he made far too many errors last season. They (and others) do not have some irrational, deep seated vendetta against anyone, they just comment on what they observe. They observed his performance last season and formed the view that it was poor. As I say, he seems to have bucked up this season and we shall see if he carries it on. Why do you think that people from a wide range of ages, from pensioners to parent to kids form some kind of irrational dislike of a player, because well its just not true. He made many an error last season and he received criticism. The errors caused the criticism. That was last season, and if he plays well this season then people will recognise that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Stockdale by his own admission also admitted that at the beginning of last season he was carryig a bit of weight and not great form.

I say again now he has a genuine no 2 chasing him, not a relatively untried kid or casper he is becoming the keeper we knew he could be.

Keep it up he was immense yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Championship stats twitter account has just put some stats from yesterday. 4 saves 4 punches , 100% throw accuracy, 100% claim success, 83% kicking accuracy, and 1 clean sheet.

He didn't score though, did he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here