Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stitched up at work, what would you do...

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Have been in a work situation that resembles a war zone for 2 years now. Only protection is support from fellow work colleagues. Safety in numbers. But long term the outlook is bleak.
Most workplaces seem to be confrontational in the post Thatcher era.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
whatever you do, only deal with FACT...

Hearsay is no good, always document everything, and have an independent person to sit in any meetings you have. And MOST importantly keep calm, if they see you are getting flustered or confused they will twist what you say.

I'm going to send in a trusted confidante to gather some evidence for me, I need times and dates of my own for my defence. I have a calm manner and persona in these situations generally, and I'm going to prepare for my hearing quite thoroughly...

Are you in a Union?

No, but the "staff council" representative is an option. She has just returned from her own formal disciplinary matters though.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Have been in a work situation that resembles a war zone for 2 years now. Only protection is support from fellow work colleagues. Safety in numbers. But long term the outlook is bleak.
Most workplaces seem to be confrontational in the post Thatcher era.

Do you really believe the shit that you are typing?

Are you saying that over 50% of workplaces are confrontational due to the politics of Thatcher?

Cock.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Thanks to Barrel and Ernest, who I am negotiating with.. Everyone else, I can't say too much.

But I am considering an all out offensive. Need to consider it a little bit first, but option is there...

I'm going to send in a trusted confidante to gather some evidence for me, I need times and dates of my own for my defence. I have a calm manner and persona in these situations generally, and I'm going to prepare for my hearing quite thoroughly...

No, but the "staff council" representative is an option. She has just returned from her own formal disciplinary matters though.

If I can just add my view from a senior HR perspective, as soon as you go in shooting, that may spell the end of your career with the firm, as if you lose you're out and if you win, there always seems to be a subsequent loss of trust and confidence. I obviously don't know the detail but have always found a pattern.

I would just say be sure you have an exit. What do you want from this? Compromise Agreements are a good way out if you're ready to settle and leave. good luck!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Baseball bat and concrete slippers!
I love being self employed, because I can tell unreasonable people to f**k off.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
As enjoyable as all guns blazing may be, beating them by the book will end up feeling much, much sweeter and probably get you more too.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Are you saying that over 50% of workplaces are confrontational due to the politics of Thatcher?

Cock.

...he says in a non-confrontation manner.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
The reason I asked about length of service is because rights are non-existant unless one year of continuous employment has been fulfilled.

You only need a year of employment behind you if you're trying to claim for unfair dismissal. For harassment, bullying, discrimination etc. you have rights from day one of employment. It would be ridiculous to suggest that you could legitimately bully someone at work because they'd been employed for under a year.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
[/B]

Cock.

I know, the original comment made me laugh out loud.

Thatcher is now the causer of internal politics that leads to confrontations within workplaces according to the OP (pre Thatcher this thing never happened before of course).

Yet another absurd thing to be chalked to the list that she is blamed for.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
I know, the original comment made me laugh out loud.

Thatcher is now the causer of internal politics that leads to confrontations within workplaces according to the OP (pre Thatcher this thing never happened before of course).

Yet another absurd thing to be chalked to the list that she is blamed for.

Thatcher Runied the Railways

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Take it on the chin, fight your case and hope you win. Or do you fight fire with fire, phone up important people and dish some well stored, but relevant, dirt? Fling mud with the mudflingers, or be dignified and wait for your time?

No poll, I don't mean to triviliase this. Honest replies would be good, please.

I'll leave you to decide but 'dishing dirt' is never a good idea. And remember how you feel right now next time there is a public sector strike. Good luck.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've had two incidents that I've been involved in - one as I was the manager of the two involved and one where someone twisted something I said to get someone else a formal warning and potentially fired,which ended the job of the person who started the nonsense anyhow.
I have always maintained that he who slings mud runs out of ground. So I adocate keeping calm and answering any question put to you calmly and truthfully, the person slinging the mud will eventually run out of falsehoods and the underlying reasons will be aparent without having to be said. Request formal HR presence at each meeting and (it may be too late) but take notes on everything. I wouldn't go blabbing to senior people at all, many senior people will react not at all in the way you expect. Remember sometimes they are senior as they've been good at covering their arses themselves!

There is no shame in fighting your case honestly and accurately and still losing. It sucks but I wouldn't want to work with people like that anyhow and you could then take it to tribunal.

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
I've had two incidents that I've been involved in - one as I was the manager of the two involved and one where someone twisted something I said to get someone else a formal warning and potentially fired,which ended the job of the person who started the nonsense anyhow.
I have always maintained that he who slings mud runs out of ground. So I adocate keeping calm and answering any question put to you calmly and truthfully, the person slinging the mud will eventually run out of falsehoods and the underlying reasons will be aparent without having to be said. Request formal HR presence at each meeting and (it may be too late) but take notes on everything. I wouldn't go blabbing to senior people at all, many senior people will react not at all in the way you expect. Remember sometimes they are senior as they've been good at covering their arses themselves!

There is no shame in fighting your case honestly and accurately and still losing. It sucks but I wouldn't want to work with people like that anyhow and you could then take it to tribunal.

tedebear's advice is very sound. I speak from experience of many years at a senior level in HR. Concilliation is far better than conflict. Analyse what has caused the situation, often things are based on misunderstanding or misconception. Try to see it from the other parties' point of view. Formulate an approach then enlist the support of you staff rep and make sure HR are involved to oversee fair play. Remember also that senior management will normally support the line manager in such situations - a bit like the FA supporting referees!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here