Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

It's always felt like we'll just about finish 17th again, but at least we'll finish 17th in a more entertaining way.

None of our defeats are entertaining, sorry that Potter has lowered the bar so much for anyone to think this

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Here's a young chap. Tall quick just what we need.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is he involved in the coaching? Perhaps he is one who could do it himself but unable to pass on the message to others.

“Is he involved in the coaching”

No he works in the ticket office.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
None of our defeats are entertaining, sorry that Potter has lowered the bar so much for anyone to think this

This. Hard to imagine Albion fanatics walking away from a loss, with a glow in their cheeks, thinking “Well played the opposition, but at least we made a fist of it for periods of the match. All bodes well for the next Corinthian spirit loss”.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I prefer Potter's style and enjoy the games much more, we'll be fine with the addition of another decent striker in Jan.

I wouldn't bank on that striker. Premier league level players aren't exactly in abundance in January windows.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

Well watching Bournemouth put 5 past us last season wasn't entertaining. Watching us lose 2-1 to Tottenham today was.

Potter, if he can be accused of anything, could be accused of trying to get the team to play beyond its means. That's raising the bar.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Is it really ‘more entertaining’ when there’s the same air of inevitability we’ll get nothing? It’s starting to get a bit predictable and won’t be long before we get labelled ‘plucky’

I think you can have both...we've moved from not entertaining and an inevitability we'll get nothing to entertaining and an inevitability we'll get nothing.

There is so far we can go with the players we have.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I’m a big fan of GP and I see no reason to change my mind. However, it’s clear he needs two or three more players that can carry out his instructions. The way I see it is that we currently have two big problems:

1) We are trying to play like a Guardiola team, which is fantastic. However, for me the key players in this are the midfielders (or sometimes full-backs) who can either carry or pass the ball forwards quickly and accurately once the press is beaten. Our defenders are good enough on the ball to beat the press, but once they do it so frequently leads to Stephens, Gross or Mooy dithering, taking an extra touch or simply not moving the ball fast enough. We need someone faster in both body and mind in the middle.

2) Lack of options/quality in the front three. Maupay has been excellent, Connolly has done OK and Trossard has shown glimpses. But it’s not enough. We need to be more clinical and we need to be able to change games. Having Murray and Jahanbaksh as first changes is effectively tying one hand before GP’s back before we even start.

For me, we need a technically excellent central midfielder and a quick wide attacker to boost the ranks for the second half of the season. Do that and Graham’s sexy football that has been so impressively implemented will yield more points.

Interestingly, I don’t see our defence as a huge problem like many do. Sure, we are a bit looser than the last two seasons but that’s inevitable with the change in style. We’ve conceded fewer or the same number of goals as 10 other teams. But we’ve only scored more than six others, which considering our attacking approach shows me the problem is converting performance into goals.

Good post. A clear understanding of the current situation imo.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think you can have both...we've moved from not entertaining and an inevitability we'll get nothing to entertaining and an inevitability we'll get nothing.

There is so far we can go with the players we have.

I think you’re right. Hopefully we’ll find the players to make GP’s style work but really, I hope he’s got a Plan B for the 2nd half season cause Plan As not getting the results we need to stay up seemingly.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am sure that I read at the start of the season that he wasn't going to be involved in coaching but more on the link between players and management in a sort of liaison role.

Oh like a liaison officer type bloke ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I am sure that I read at the start of the season that he wasn't going to be involved in coaching but more on the link between players and management in a sort of liaison role.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago with quotes from an article from The Athletic, which highlighted what Bruno's role was. He is heavily involved in the planning of training sessions, as well as the discussions for tactical and formation plans. During a match Bruno will sit higher up in the press box rather than on the bench as it gives him a different perspective on the game. At half time Bruno and Björn Hamberg show video analysis to the players of anything they feel the players need to be aware of for the second half. To say he is just in a liaison role is doing him a massive disservice, although in the same article Dale Stephens mentions he is the main link between the players and the coaching staff.

Heres the original thread https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?376913-Bruno-s-role-as-coach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here