Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stiliyan Petrov - and what I'm going to do about it

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Just chucked a fiver in, sorry it isn't more money, but I don't have too much at the moment. I hope everything works out.

Can someone please tell me a bit more about bone marrow donation. I give blood when I can already but don't know too much about bone marrow transplants. If someone could give me an outline of the donation process and a little bit of info about what circumstances someone might need one then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for putting some money in. I really appreciate it, no matter how much.

With regards to bone marrow donation you basically fill in a form next time you give blood. You can ask for the form when you sign in. Here is the link for info on it http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/, or the anthony nolan trust are the charity that match donor to the patient http://www.anthonynolan.org/.

My little boy developed Acute Myeloid Leukeamia when he was 2. He had 4 courses of chemo, then was given the all clear to carry on with life with various outpatient appointments. Even though he'd completed treatment and was in Remission he still had a 30% chance that it would return. Unfortuntately it did over Xmas. When the cancer returns, from history of trials, etc, they know that the only known cure is a bone marrow transplant. Basically he will have the stem cells in his bone marrow wiped out, then once that has happened a donors stem cells will be given to him in the same fashion as recieving blood. The stem cells will graft, and then begin to produce new blood cells (red, white and platelets). But because the immune system is different to the host's immune system, it will fight off any existing cells that are resident i.e. cancer cells. And this is how it works. very clever.

To give Stem cells there are two ways I believe. 1, to use a special syringe to suck some out of your pelvis area - I don't think this is used that much anymore. 2, To give you a drug a few days on the trot (I think to create and release stem cells into your blood stream), then on day 4 (I think) you go into a hospital and they take blood from you over a period of time. During that period, the machine seperates the Stem cells from your normal blood cells, and stores them. The rest of the blood cells are returned to your body. That's it. I think all your costs are paid for by the NHS, and I think your employer is bound to give you time off work to do it.

So, you've given the chance of life to another person and yet you still have all your organs and are alive. I think this is the only such transplant where you can do this.

one thing to note, is that even though we're on the register, this doesn't mean we'll ever be asked to be a donor. IT all depends on if you're a match with someone who needs it. THis is why a large donation list is required, so it covers all variations of DNA. It's funny because neither me, nor my wife are matched with my boy, but a complete stranger is. I think siblings have a 1 in 4 chance of being a match. That's it, it's purely large numbers of people on the register covers every combination.

I hope I've explained that correctly. I'm no Dr, but have learnt a lot over the past year/ or two.

Thanks again for sponsoring me. very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I really hope your little fella beats leukaemia and you raise lots of money in the bike ride, Jim.

I saw Stiliyan Petrov's last career game a week ago at the Emirates and at the time we commented that Petrov was not leading or talking to his players as a captain does and the match was passing him by for such a decent footballer but no one knew how ill he was. It's awful in hindsight.

Best wishes go to Stiliyan Petrov and your son. They'll keep fighting and please keep us updated on your brave little lad's progress.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hi Chaps,
I heard the sad news about Stiliyan Petrov, and this brought home very much my personal situation where my little 3 year old boy has AML (a nasty form of Leukeamia) and is about to have a bone marrow transplant with 50:50 chance of survival.

With this I have decided to do a long bike ride around the island of Zealand in Denmark this Autumn in aid of Leukeamia and Lymphoma Research.

Leukeamia is a horrendous diesease and anything I can do to prevent future generations getting it is worth while imo. I've already had 2 members of my family pass away with blood cancers, so having my little boy with it is pretty horrible.

Please support me if you can: http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

cheers
p.s. I hope the mods don't mind me doing this? sorry if it's against the forum rules.
bloody hell thats tough mate , i dont know how you're coping , fingers crossed for your littl'un , please god the op is successful.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
best of luck with your bike ride and fund raising. i will donate when i have found my uk bank card.

blood donation and bone marrow donation are subjects that aren't given enough importance in society. a bone marrow donor gave my daughter a shot at life that she wouldn't have had otherwise. until we left england we were on all the donation lists and will be again should we move back. mrs starry was called as a bone marrow match, but they didn't end up needing her. unfortunately we are not allowed to be donors here.

i wish the best for your son, you will all be in our prayers.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
Just donated a few quid, good luck and I hope your son wins his battle. Having had Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2010 it really is painful to hear of stories such as yours and what your son is having to go through.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Just donated a few quid, good luck and I hope your son wins his battle. Having had Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2010 it really is painful to hear of stories such as yours and what your son is having to go through.

Thanks for the support.

Cancer sucks!!! My gran had Lymphoma, my grandad and my boy Leukaemia.

As far as I know Leukaemia and Lymphoma research in the UK is mostly funded by charitable donations. They're certainly getting smarter and trying knew trial drugs all the time in the hospitals.

AML had a dismal chance of survival until recently.

thanks again. :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

My friend had this one but I'm pleased to say she's beaten it and got the all clear. Her hair is starting to grow back too, bless her.

Jim, really sad to hear your story but you're a top man for wanting to stand up and do something about it. I've been a father for a year now and it certainly gives you feelings you've never had before and a feeling of wanting to protect at all costs. I can't imagine what you're going through but hope you and your family can keep your chins up and heads high and as a team do your best to beat this. You're all in my thoughts :(

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
My friend had this one but I'm pleased to say she's beaten it and got the all clear. Her hair is starting to grow back too, bless her.

Jim, really sad to hear your story but you're a top man for wanting to stand up and do something about it. I've been a father for a year now and it certainly gives you feelings you've never had before and a feeling of wanting to protect at all costs. I can't imagine what you're going through but hope you and your family can keep your chins up and heads high and as a team do your best to beat this. You're all in my thoughts :(

Unfortunately AML has a nasty habit of coming back. With William he relapsed within 7 months of completing treatment. I remember one of the Dr's said to me that the way he was presenting it was unlikely it'd come back, but we always knew there was a chance and that's what happened.
Infact a high majority of children I know with AML have relapsed.

Cure is classed as 5 years disease free.

I hope your friend beats it for good. I've seen a lot of it over the past few years and it's nasty.

Thanks for the support, it all helps :)

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi Chaps,
I heard the sad news about Stiliyan Petrov, and this brought home very much my personal situation where my little 3 year old boy has AML (a nasty form of Leukeamia) and is about to have a bone marrow transplant with 50:50 chance of survival.

With this I have decided to do a long bike ride around the island of Zealand in Denmark this Autumn in aid of Leukeamia and Lymphoma Research.

Leukeamia is a horrendous diesease and anything I can do to prevent future generations getting it is worth while imo. I've already had 2 members of my family pass away with blood cancers, so having my little boy with it is pretty horrible.

Please support me if you can: http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

cheers
p.s. I hope the mods don't mind me doing this? sorry if it's against the forum rules.

Hey Big Jim, I have been dipping in and out (oooh Matron) since my tiny donation, and following the thread with interested. So many good people out there makes me proud to be a seagull. Anyhow I hope you dont mind but I have just posted a link to this thread on Club Line (you never know). Good Luck.

PS. Those that are reading this thread, just a little helps. But a lot helps more.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Hey Big Jim, I have been dipping in and out (oooh Matron) since my tiny donation, and following the thread with interested. So many good people out there makes me proud to be a seagull. Anyhow I hope you dont mind but I have just posted a link to this thread on Club Line (you never know). Good Luck.

PS. Those that are reading this thread, just a little helps. But a lot helps more.

Absolutely, please do. Thanks for doing this, you're a top bloke!

I've been onto the local press also to try and advertise it, so the more advertising the better for sure.

I can't personally find a cure for cancer, but I really want to help the people who can.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
hi jim,
just about to add what i can to the fund,
just wanted to wish your litt'lun, (and you on the bike ride), all the best, horrendous thing cancer, tho what with petrov obviously bringing luekemia more to the forefront, am hearing that cures/treatments etc have increased in a very positive way in recent years.
all the best for your son and family.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
hi jim,
just about to add what i can to the fund,
just wanted to wish your litt'lun, (and you on the bike ride), all the best, horrendous thing cancer, tho what with petrov obviously bringing luekemia more to the forefront, am hearing that cures/treatments etc have increased in a very positive way in recent years.
all the best for your son and family.

Top bloke. Thanks. I really appreciate it and makes a difference.

Before my boy got ill, we had a family do and I remember my mum was upset as she thought she'd be the first one to pop off out of ourfamily. Within 4 months, the youngest (and least likely to) person had a serious life threating disease. It just shows that you never know when things like this are going to hit you, and need to make the most out of your life.

The thing with Petrov. He's 32, and I bet ridiculasly fit, and probably eats a well balanced diet. Yet, he's been struck down by it.

Nasty nasty disease. I felt so sorry seeing him at the game with his family, poor bloke has hell to come....

thanks again :)

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Top bloke. Thanks. I really appreciate it and makes a difference.

Before my boy got ill, we had a family do and I remember my mum was upset as she thought she'd be the first one to pop off out of ourfamily. Within 4 months, the youngest (and least likely to) person had a serious life threating disease. It just shows that you never know when things like this are going to hit you, and need to make the most out of your life.

The thing with Petrov. He's 32, and I bet ridiculasly fit, and probably eats a well balanced diet. Yet, he's been struck down by it.

Nasty nasty disease. I felt so sorry seeing him at the game with his family, poor bloke has hell to come....

thanks again :)

no worries, thoughts with you all:)

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
I have just donated £5

I will also give a further £5 for every goal Brighton score against Reading AND Watford

Best of Luck Jim

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here