Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stiliyan Petrov - and what I'm going to do about it

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
William's still doing ok.
Here's a picture of him playing with a new toy.
Ay9-X2MCMAA5Vms.jpg

It's still a case of watch and wait and the longer he stays well, the better.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Lovely to hear he is still doing well, how's the training going for September ??

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Lovely to hear he is still doing well, how's the training going for September ??

Thanks Gwm. Training going ok. managed 120 miles last week (+ an hour of 5 aside and a swim). 53 miles in one hit two sundays ago.
Taking it easy this week as knee giving me a small niggly bit of grief after Shoreham-Newhaven last Sat. think we took the hills a bit too fast.

My only issue is that I'm amazed with all this exercise, that I'm not losing more weight. But maybe that'll come in time.

Will try a 50 something miler next week.

Had a tip about ice baths after exercise, so gonna try that during the denmark ride.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Just a quick update on William.
He's now just over 12 weeks post transplant, and seems to be getting better as days progress. More energy, the rash is improving, more like a 3 year old really. So all is good.
Here's a picture from a moment ago.
The bike training is going ok. Have found that the Maxxis Detonator tyres that came with my Giant Seek 1 are puncture prone. So am just waiting for some new puncture proof tyres to arrive from amazon. I suppose training isn't just about fitness, it's also about logistics/ getting ready and solving any problems in advance. We've booked flights and the ride will start in Copenhagen on 13th September. Am hoping to upload photos on Twitter throughout.
thanks again for all the donations. Am nearly at £8K now, which is 8 x what I originally wished for. :)

A0AozvlCEAELlQ1.jpg

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
How is the little fella getting on and how's the training going ?
All good thanks :) Been away taking my daughter to France, then been busy planning the route using garmin base camp. There's not enough hours in the day.

Williams still ok, though had a blood clot in his neck where his Hickman line was inserted. The Hickman line has since been removed and a port inserted which is a lot less intrusive I think as it doesn't have big dangly lines coming from his chest. Anyway the blood clot was treated with daily injections and has since reduced in size a great deal. He has also had a stomach sickness virus, which he seems to have shaken off after a week. He's obviously lost some weight, but otherwise he's pretty much back to normal. His graft verses host diease (his itchy rash) is also improving and his steroids are gradually being reduced. Hopefully soon he'll be off the steroids completely and will be able to return to pre-school.
Here's a picture from a moment ago:
A1pYTt5CMAA0UsW.jpg

The fundraising is going well and currently sits at £8,319.00. Training has been ok, though I got really fed up with punctures on my Maxxis detonators, so I dumped them for some Schwalbe Marathon Plus which are superb. We're starting the ride on 13th September and I'm hoping my brothers phone will be able to tweet our progress. my twitter is [MENTION=2150]james[/MENTION]lyne1

I just hope my dodgy left holds up!!

thanks for the continuing support

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Top stuff....when will he be well enough to visit our temple of wizardary (Amex), if that how you spell wizadary?.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Top stuff....when will he be well enough to visit our temple of wizardary (Amex), if that how you spell wizadary?.

Hopefully early next year. I'd imagine once he's returned to school, he can begin to return to public places.

I think it all depends on when they can ween him off the Steroids (which are currently suppressing his immune system).

up early this morning as woken by him being sick and squits, thought he'd shaken the thing off, but it's hanging around. Been ill for well over a week now with it. Poor little thing, he's really had a hard couple of years.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hopefully early next year. I'd imagine once he's returned to school, he can begin to return to public places.

I think it all depends on when they can ween him off the Steroids (which are currently suppressing his immune system).

up early this morning as woken by him being sick and squits, thought he'd shaken the thing off, but it's hanging around. Been ill for well over a week now with it. Poor little thing, he's really had a hard couple of years.

Poor fella. It will make him a stronger adult that's for sure.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Stan winning the battle

STILIYAN PETROV says he is “heading in the right direction” now his acute leukaemia is in remission.

The Aston Villa captain was diagnosed with the illness in March but was told last month that he is on the road to recovery.

Petrov, 33, said: “I’m fine but it’s been hard and tough. Thankfully, everything is going in the right direction.”

The Bulgarian expressed his gratitude to club masseurs Alex Butler and Andy Smith for their support.

They completed a 400-mile ‘Pedal for Petrov’ charity cycle ride at Villa Park yesterday.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Stan winning the battle

STILIYAN PETROV says he is “heading in the right direction” now his acute leukaemia is in remission.

The Aston Villa captain was diagnosed with the illness in March but was told last month that he is on the road to recovery.

Petrov, 33, said: “I’m fine but it’s been hard and tough. Thankfully, everything is going in the right direction.”

The Bulgarian expressed his gratitude to club masseurs Alex Butler and Andy Smith for their support.

They completed a 400-mile ‘Pedal for Petrov’ charity cycle ride at Villa Park yesterday.

THe problem is that remission doesn't mean cured, as we found out with William. The vast majority of children over the past years with AML at the Marsden have relapsed.

With Aml it has a nasty habit of doing just that.

I think 80% get remission, but for average disease only 65% are cured (5 years survival) (and that percentage includes relapsing and having a bone marrow transplant).

I've heard people say that their child is in remission and have beaten Cancer, but they are very much misguided. Remission just means it's non detected and isn't running riot in your body, but cells are certainly still about the body and can come back within weeks.

I know Alex Butler. I started this thread about a month before they announced what they were doing. This is what he kindly said about me during his ride: http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/news-item/given-im-bit-large-size

Should also mention that relapsed Leukaemia is generally harder to treat and get the patient back into remission. Relapsing within a year is bad and only 50% regain remission I believe.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I'm flying off to Copenhagen tomorrow, and starting the ride on Thursday. Just wanted to thank all the people who have supported me and donated, etc. I'll post one last time once it's completed.

William's ok ish still. His NG tube came out of his mouth when he was sick a few days ago, and we're trying things without.

Here's a picture:
A2Xk8yECAAARFma.jpg

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I'm flying off to Copenhagen tomorrow, and starting the ride on Thursday. Just wanted to thank all the people who have supported me and donated, etc. I'll post one last time once it's completed.

William's ok ish still. His NG tube came out of his mouth when he was sick a few days ago, and we're trying things without.

Here's a picture:
A2Xk8yECAAARFma.jpg

Mate he looks amazing, fantastic stuff

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Mate he looks amazing, fantastic stuff

Yeah this picture is a good one, though I really need to clean my mobile phones camera. His skin is quite nasty and dry.

Actually the nasty skin is a good sign as it shows the donor cells are attacking his body (and hopefully any residual cancer).

Fingers crossed. I really don't want him to relapse (30% chance) and have to bring him home to die as nothing else they can do. That's my worst possible nightmare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here