Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stevie g

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Honours wise he's on a par with many many footballer including Paul Lambert. Would you say Lambert is world class?
Not true. OK, they both have a Champions League honour but how many times has Lambert finished third in the Ballon d'Or, won the UEFA Club Footballer of the year, or the equivalent of the FWA Player of the year in whichever country he was playing at the time?

Gerrard also featured in the PFA Team of the Year EIGHT times, including a time period when the Premier League was sending teams to the Champions League final with prolific regularity. He even won the goal of the season.

He has definitely been over-rated for large parts of his career, but for a couple of those seasons he has IMO been world class. There isn't a team in the world that wouldn't have made space for him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't like him because
1) The annoying Stevie G handle. I file this with other annoying let's-try-and-be-groovy name changes like Tommy K, Maccy Ds and Benny Eggs.
2) Claims that he's world class. Ludicrous. He has played all his career for a club which has never reached real heights, played for a bang average international team, and the only medal of note is a CL winner. This latter point is a fine achievement but it hardly sets him apart from a lot of other also rans.
3) Whiney voice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not true. OK, they both have a Champions League honour but how many times has Lambert finished third in the Ballon d'Or, won the UEFA Club Footballer of the year, or the equivalent of the FWA Player of the year in whichever country he was playing at the time?

Gerrard also featured in the PFA Team of the Year EIGHT times, including a time period when the Premier League was sending teams to the Champions League final with prolific regularity. He even won the goal of the season.

He has definitely been over-rated for large parts of his career, but for a couple of those seasons he has IMO been world class. There isn't a team in the world that wouldn't have made space for him.

I have just looked up the 2005 Ballon D'or. Ronaldinho first and Fat Frank second. I'm struggling to take that seriously. Fair points about the rest although coming 3rd does not signify true world class IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ridiculous argument.

Okay. The fact we're debating his world class status is all you need to really know though. One wouldn't debate Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and there's a simple reason for that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The worst thing about him is the name Stevie G. Almost as bad as calling yourself Jay D......

Err............. I don't think he had much input into this.

Would it be your fault if we called you knocky Zee?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Okay. The fact we're debating his world class status is all you need to really know though. One wouldn't debate Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and there's a simple reason for that.

I wouldn't call Messi, Ronaldo or Zidane World Class more out of this World.

Between 2004-2008 he was an incredible player, comfortably World Class and would have walked into every top European team. Honours aren't always a true reflection of greatness otherwise Phil Neville was one hell of a left back.

People have different definitions of World Class for me it's someone who is either the best in their position or would be in the top c. 25 players in the World.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
He isn't a 1 club player? He has signed for another club! And some will tell you that there is a real reason he didnt join Chelsea, and it wasnt because HE wanted to stay at Liverpool!

Yep, its because the local gangster threatened him to stay

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't call Messi, Ronaldo or Zidane World Class more out of this World.

Between 2004-2008 he was an incredible player, comfortably World Class and would have walked into every top European team. Honours aren't always a true reflection of greatness otherwise Phil Neville was one hell of a left back.

People have different definitions of World Class for me it's someone who is either the best in their position or would be in the top c. 25 players in the World.

I clearly have higher standards than yourself :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An icon for most, but i personally dont like him, i think he's overrated, great footballer but not world class.
think in that interview after the chelsea game sums him up, bitter. He knows he's never going to win a league title, and i think deep down he knows he's going to sit in his retirement chair and regret not leaving liverpool for a club that could win trophies.

Its not completely his fault i don't like him as a person, its mainly the medias fault for making him there darling golden boy, just like liverpool are.
they know there in the final weeks of wan**ing over him, so there going to be doing a lot of it.

rip stevie g

Bitter ? I thought his comments re the two faced knuckle-dragging morons at the Bridge was class

Over-rated ? Not at club level. He has carried a mostly mediocre Liverpool team for years. Never really produced his top form for England though (in part down to successive managers not working out how to play him and Lampard together perhaps) - on that basis the World Class tag is maybe questionable overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here