Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Duel

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
try and keep it civil mate, I am asking people as its an open forum and anyone is welcome to give me feedback, it has 31 votes after all.

And what part of that post you quoted wasn't civil? We have given reasons and damn good ones at that. Quite a few people have said why they like the film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I didn't vote for it, I enjoyed Hook for the performance of Hoffman, and even Williams (loved the line "when it's your time to go, it's your time to go... wait, what if it's the pilot's time to go?"). I usually enjoy new takes on familiar stories, be they remakes or prequels or sequels, so the idea of 'what if peter pan grew up?' appealed to me. Plus it's fun. I like serious movies, I like provocative movies, I like deep involving movies, but sometimes I just like a fun movie.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
1. Hook 31
2. Schindler's List 27
3. Saving Private Ryan 20
4. Jaws 16
5. ET - The Extraterrestrial 9

As Hook may surprisingly take the NSC title I am interested why this film was his greatest from the people who voted for it ?

For me, as I say its a true proper kids, nay FAMILY film. All the others press buttons for a certain genre (sci-fi, adventure, historical etc) and in the main BOYS TOYS.

Having two girls they absolutely love Hook and its actually not that bad and a good re-imagining of Peter Pan which has been done to death.

Also of course a substantial donation (I think it was close to six figures) had to be given to Great Ormond Street as they hold the rights to Pan following J M Barries death and him passing on the rights to the hospital.

Personally I think 1941 is ACE even tho its regarded as a bit of a dud!

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
As the fantastic Munich is missing from the selections here, I've plumped for Schindler's List in the end.

Couldn't have ET myself, it's simply not a patch on Mac & Me :jester:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Slightly related- Schindlers list reminded me of a great book I read recently called The Man Who broke into Auschwitz. A chilling true account of someone who swapped places with a jewish prisoner to discover and later expose the truth behind the concentration camps.

A best seller, although doubts have been cast as to the authenticity of much of that book.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Also of course a substantial donation ... had to be given to Great Ormond Street as they hold the rights to Pan following J M Barries death

Really? I thought there was no charge.

Oh, hold on a moment, that was J J Barrie. My mistake...

[yt]7Zd4ncpWuC0[/yt]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Raiders of the Lost Ark for me, but it was a coin toss with Hook. My daughter loves Hook and, as such, it's probably the Spielberg film I've seen the most. However, before this poll - I didn't actually know it was a Spielberg work!

There are some quite serious tones to the film - most notably that of the relationship of children with parents in the modern age where work/life balance is often out of kilter - but it's just good old fashioned fantasy escapism played with aplomb by a stellar cast. Hoffman, particularly, is brilliant. And the score, contains a number of magical pieces that I still listen to on a near-weekly basis - great pick-me-up stuff.

As I say, I went for the first Indy film but if my daughter had been with me when I voted, it would have been Hook all the way and I can easily understand how any parent could make such a vote.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Strange you thought that it was dull and drab.

It certainly wasn't helped by the big build up I'd given it, as my essay-avoiding experience of it way back when had basically left me thinking it was one of the best films I'd seen, and let's face it ..... it's not!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is an excellent film. No doubt about it. Fairly unheard of. Certainly none of my friends have seen it.

It is a good film. I only mentionned it in the context of CC's comment about 'the only decent performance' he'd ever seen from DeCaprio. DeCaprio was excellent in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He seems at his best playing characters with issues (see Basketball Diaries for future reference).

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
For all those voting for Schindler's List, I ask - are you voting because of the filmcraft or because of the subject matter and the way it made you feel? If it was the latter then I suggest you read Primo Levi's books about the Holocaust. He deliberately chose not to play for people's emotions because he wanted people to feel the real almost casual horror of how it was normalised by both aggressors and victims. Anyone director can make a sad film esp about genocide. It takes a really clever person to make you take a step back and consider how and why people acted the way they did. Spielberg went for the easy option, in my opinion.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Agree, for me Duel stands the test of time. The tension when he's trying to get up the hill and the engine is overheating is edge of the seat stuff, even when you know the outcome.

If you haven't then see Wages of Fear, then do. Bloody incredible sweaty truck-driving stuff.

wagesoffear1.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Schindler's got my vote, even though Ralfe Fiennes must cringe at that line in the car: "Put the top up, it's f***ing freezing" delivered with possibly the worse German accent in the history of celluloid. For me it probably should have been done as a subtitled film with native speakers, but then it wouldn't have got financial backing or had the profile/success that it did.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Schindler's got my vote, even though Ralfe Fiennes must cringe at that line in the car: "Put the top up, it's f***ing freezing" delivered with possibly the worse German accent in the history of celluloid. For me it probably should have been done as a subtitled film with native speakers, but then it wouldn't have got financial backing or had the profile/success that it did.

Life is Beautiful managed okay, and was a far, far better film because of it. Massively superior to Schindlers's List in every possible way, IMO.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i voted for hook too, and why not? it's a fabulous film which my kids adore, and which i've seen many times now. there's something about the ambition of the film that appeals to me. ok, so private ryan is "ambitious" but if you were making a blockbuster of the landings, it's exactly as i'd imagine it would be. hook is ambitious for its imagination, its scale, and its cinematic look and feel. i really can't see why US can't appreciate this as a scholar of the genre, but each to their own i guess!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here