Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steven Hall - 19yo keeper singed from Adelaide United

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn't even realise we needed another U21 GK! He'll have to be pretty good to get ahead of Rushworth and Beadle in the pecking order. Perhaps we're planning to let him (or another U21 GK - Cahill perhaps?) go out on loan.
Oh well, welcome and good luck anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gonna have redo the old 'centre backs arriving for training' 'joke'.

1705938802764.png

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I hear he has a plump wag to keep him warm in winter and another thin wag who's his Summer Bae

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I suspect the club are ahead of the trend and identifying good keepers that can play with the ball at their feet which we are seeing is now a key requirement at most clubs. Even if they spend most of their time on loan, if they can prove themselves at championship level we will make decent profit on a resell.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Suspect after this season, Rushworth is either sold on for profit as being surplus to requirements, or jumps up that list significantly.
I suspect you may be right. The club seems to be putting more effort into the progression of Beadle, and Verbruggen is also younger than him.

Great young keeper who will still likely end up in the PL at some point in my opinion.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
It’s a sound strategy - they don’t seem to get injured, unlike absolutely everybody else.

(This post will bite me on the arse, won’t it?)
Oh, I get the strategy. It’s the ultimate moneyball where we corner the market for goalkeepers and make a killing when we develop the best.

If it wasn’t the goalkeeper market, we could have moved into Pork bellies.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
What makes you think the club are "putting more effort into the progression of Beadle". :shrug:
Accelerating loans up the levels much more rapidly at a younger age.

Maybe "effort" the wrong term but talking about his trajectory already at the age of 19 in comparison.

Reality is that the club will be prioritising some of the keepers over others with a view to first team. Seems from the outside that Beadle is the most likely candidate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Suspect after this season, Rushworth is either sold on for profit as being surplus to requirements, or jumps up that list significantly.
I think Scherpen might well be sold on. I've got a feeling Beadle might jump up the list even more. McGill seems to be quite happy as third GK, and occasional U21 GK. And lord knows where our new Aussie GK will fit into that list!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People listing a keeper for the under 23's, another for the under 18's, the u17's and another for the under 16's do realise literally every team we have needs a keeper? Or two.

That said yes we seem to have a lot already in that awkward zone between reserves and first team who this lad has presumeably been signed to fit as well. However it's also about the only age/level where we can loan them out and increase their value whilst carrying more than 1 or 2 per team, with them still getting game time.

Maybe Uncle Tony realises this lad is a near lock to be worth more at 21 with 2 years playing in England at any level, than at 19 in the Aussie leagues so it's almost a safe bet. Plus there's a slim chance he'll be amazeballs and the long term answer for us even if not a high one.

Haters won't like that we've now made 3 signings this January and there's still a week to go (and yes whilst Barco is undoubtidly first team but not a starter, perhaps Mazilou and shirly this keeper are not likely to see much first team gametime, true). Any more signings if we find value in January are likely to be release clauses or loans.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It’s the ultimate moneyball where we corner the market for goalkeepers and make a killing when we develop the best.
So a signing less for Roberto in coaching, but one that'll keep Colin from accounts happy?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Seems sensible.

If you look at James Trafford going for £19m..... Rushworth, Beale, all these others who will count as "home grown"

Seems sensible even if we only sell one or two of them at that cost to promoted teams or whatever.

In the age of needing 8 home grown players in the squad, for a lot of clubs having at least two of them being goalkeepers opens up more opportunities elsewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seems sensible.

If you look at James Trafford going for £19m..... Rushworth, Beale, all these others who will count as "home grown"

Seems sensible even if we only sell one or two of them at that cost to promoted teams or whatever.

In the age of needing 8 home grown players in the squad, for a lot of clubs having at least two of them being goalkeepers opens up more opportunities elsewhere.
Agree there is / will be, a definite premium on young keepers who tick the HGP box.

None of Scherpen, Verbruggen or the new Aussie lad will though, as all signing too late to meet the criteria.

Dec 29, 2011
Interesting thread. I wonder if it's easier to objectively measure goalkeepers performance too? Sometimes stats can be misleading for outfield players, but for goalkeepers there are less metrics which are generally easier to measure (and more accurate).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
People listing a keeper for the under 23's, another for the under 18's, the u17's and another for the under 16's do realise literally every team we have needs a keeper? Or two.

That said yes we seem to have a lot already in that awkward zone between reserves and first team who this lad has presumeably been signed to fit as well. However it's also about the only age/level where we can loan them out and increase their value whilst carrying more than 1 or 2 per team, with them still getting game time.

Maybe Uncle Tony realises this lad is a near lock to be worth more at 21 with 2 years playing in England at any level, than at 19 in the Aussie leagues so it's almost a safe bet. Plus there's a slim chance he'll be amazeballs and the long term answer for us even if not a high one.

Haters won't like that we've now made 3 signings this January and there's still a week to go (and yes whilst Barco is undoubtidly first team but not a starter, perhaps Mazilou and shirly this keeper are not likely to see much first team gametime, true). Any more signings if we find value in January are likely to be release clauses or loans.
I was trying to make a point with the list of players that we have a good line of succession which IMO is a good thing. I'm sure many won't make it sadly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
McGill is unlikely ever to play another first team game for us. He's there because he's capable, doesn't seem to mind being third choice and doesn't cost us huge wages. He's not at the club because he's seen as a future first team keeper, I'm certain of it.

Beadle and Rushworth: potentially, though perhaps Rushworth gets sold this summer to an eager Championship side for a fair few pennies. The others are all too young to say, but will doubtless get U23 games and loan time.

At least we're not Palace, who are evidently on a mission to sign all the keeper who are not quite good enough for England. They're down to their last two now, after letting Butland go in the summer, but surely there's a good chance we'll see Nick Pope end up at Selhurst once Newcastle eventually decide his footwork isn't good enough for their aspirations of global domination. And Fraser Forster on a free in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here